MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #21
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

those are for the whole state (1,328/439), dunno what houston alone is.
RIP threads... TMAX General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 09-16-2013 07:06 AM
taxes: % or $ amount RACER X The Circus 102 09-23-2011 09:04 AM
RIP Threads FKNA General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 03-09-2009 10:23 AM
Its nice to log on and not see any RIP threads after the holidays ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 12-29-2008 01:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #22
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I cant agree that we are more likely to be murdered than killed on a bike. Maybe a person who does not ride is more likely to be murdered than killed on a bike. I read somewhere that moto riders are 40% more likely to be killed in an accident than a cager.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #23
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
the biggest problem is that 3 out of 10 drivers are either texting or on the phone and not paying attention to their surroundings behind the wheels.
Agree completely. If they made a law for no cell phone use when driving and enforced it that would help. Not that I advocate more laws (libertarian by nature). Maybe better awareness training for c agers.on the other hand don't you have better peripheral vision without a helmet? Not that I would endorse that.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #24
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

2010 Houston was 294 murders
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #25
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

There was almost another RIP thread starring myself last night. People are getting worse at driving or cell service is getting worse. IDK. Some guy on Kirby who was traveling in the opposite direction of me suddenly changed lanes into oncoming traffic thinking that was a West bound lane when it was an East bound lane. I almost my pants. That's something you don't really anticipate. Swerved around him and thank no one was next to me. Turned around and cars were just swerving around him and he is clueless on his cell. He turns left into a parking lot and I just jump the curb and haul up the sidewalk trying to catch up to let him know what I think of his driving with the back of my hand and lost him in a parking garage. Probably for the best because I was FIRED up. Psychotically off. That was the closest call I've had in many years. Decided to call it an early night and just went home.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #26
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
Agree completely. If they made a law for no cell phone use when driving and enforced it that would help. Not that I advocate more laws (libertarian by nature). Maybe better awareness training for c agers.on the other hand don't you have better peripheral vision without a helmet? Not that I would endorse that.
Helmets don't impair peripheral vision. DOT standards require a side to side aperture greater than a human's peripheral vision.

http://www.smarter-usa.org/PDF%20DOC...erfriendly.pdf
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #27
r6gal
Banned

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
04 Yamaha r6

Member Garage

User is banned

r6gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #28
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
It's not unusual. Why do people feel compelled to post every motorcycle death they here about? A girl from work had a boyfriend who died...

I can appreciate posts regarding MH members or friends / family of MH members. But, why just random people?
agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
There was almost another RIP thread starring myself last night. People are getting worse at driving or cell service is getting worse. IDK. Some guy on Kirby who was traveling in the opposite direction of me suddenly changed lanes into oncoming traffic thinking that was a West bound lane when it was an East bound lane. I almost my pants. That's something you don't really anticipate. Swerved around him and thank no one was next to me. Turned around and cars were just swerving around him and he is clueless on his cell. He turns left into a parking lot and I just jump the curb and haul up the sidewalk trying to catch up to let him know what I think of his driving with the back of my hand and lost him in a parking garage. Probably for the best because I was FIRED up. Psychotically off. That was the closest call I've had in many years. Decided to call it an early night and just went home.

Holy !

Dude, that is some skill/luck you got there...Glad nothing more happened, other than some soiled shorts.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #29
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Street Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #30
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

...also more new members, larger 'viewer base' is going result in larger # of observations/posts along with it being calamari season.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #31
angels05ss

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
08 triumph 675
07 gsxr(sold)
08 gsxr (sold)
02 r6

all these rip threads are making me want to sell my bike.......
angels05ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #32
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600

I'm pretty sure with the number of members on here it's pretty easy to link the people back to an MH member. Kind of like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon.
Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #33
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post

and a friend of a friends girlfriends co workers bf wrecked and wrecked so we should make a thread. no offense to the guy who posted that one
None taken. I'm just saying it can always be linked back to a member. Not saying that a thread has to be started.
Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #34
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #35
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
It's not unusual. Why do people feel compelled to post every motorcycle death they here about? A girl from work had a boyfriend who died...

I can appreciate posts regarding MH members or friends / family of MH members. But, why just random people?
Quote:
i've been asking myself this as well. this year it seems like members really want to post up about every little/big wreck/close call. if we got down to just mh members it would not be near as many rip threads. been keeping my mouth shut though because folks assume i'm just being a ... glad i'm not the only one who notices
It can be helpful sometimes. For some people, being reminded how many happen out there and the reasons in which they happen can be what was needed to make someone pay attention out there.

Some wind up getting posted it seems from people that seem concerned, not knowing who the person was or if it was a possible MH member.

And of course, just because they're not a member here, doesn't mean they're not possibly the friend/family member of an MH member.

I understand some not wanting to read them, but then I can also see the benefit of having them all posted.
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #36
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
He turns left into a parking lot and I just jump the curb and haul up the sidewalk trying to catch up to let him know what I think of his driving with the back of my hand and lost him in a parking garage. Probably for the best because I was FIRED up. Psychotically off.
I can't imagine you being that . You're a pretty mellow guy.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #37
Davekg
Honda Rider

Bike(s):
08 CBR

Quote:
i've been asking myself this as well. this year it seems like members really want to post up about every little/big wreck/close call. if we got down to just mh members it would not be near as many rip threads. been keeping my mouth shut though because folks assume i'm just being a ... glad i'm not the only one who notices
Is it a bad thing to post motorcycle related incidents, accidents, deaths on a motorcycle forum and have discussions about it?

Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #38
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo View Post
I can't imagine you being that . You're a pretty mellow guy.
I am pretty mellow until you try to kill me. I find that slightly irritating to say the least.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #39
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Not at all. just seems like overkill. Overkill might not be the best word for this topic.

Ulric is right, as the site grows we will see more of really everything.
How bout, just like the "stolen Bikes" part of general discussion, you guys make a "rider down" area...seems right, that way it's not in the "general" part of moto discussion and you can set a NO FLaming Rule to that part of the forum.

/?

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #40
Davekg
Honda Rider

Bike(s):
08 CBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
How bout, just like the "stolen Bikes" part of general discussion, you guys make a "rider down" area...seems right, that way it's not in the "general" part of moto discussion and you can set a NO FLaming Rule to that part of the forum.

/?
Or maybe two sections to the rider down thread section.... one to pay respects on and one that we as a community can vent... flame or whatever and pick apart accidents and discuss them.... nobody wants to die or see anybody else die I'm sure, but it isn't gonna stop, death is the only thing we are gauranteed in life maybe if we talk about bad that happened to others we can steer our on own outcomes a little and stick around a little longer idk....

Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement