MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: What would you think of a G.L.S. in the USA?
It would be great, and work well. 27 46.55%
It would be great, but wouldn't work at all. 9 15.52%
It would suck, why ask something so stupid? 2 3.45%
Isn't the .gov in enough of our business? 9 15.52%
Boobies! 11 18.97%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
Stang Man
being rude

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)
1983 Honda Nighthawk(sold)

Member Garage

Post Graduated Licensing System

I'd like to propose a topic for conversation. A Graduated Licensing System for motorcycle/scooter licenses. Lets keep this civil, with as many relevant facts/figures as possible.

I'm referring to something similar to overseas, where you must do X amount of time on a smaller bike, before you can "graduate" to riding the bigger bikes.

This may or may not include not riding at night for X amount of time, etc.

What say you? There is no legislature coming down the pipeline concerning this, and I SERIOUSLY doubt that they'd do it- this is just a conversation about the topic.
Family bikes: V-Star 1100, Harley 883, KLR-650
Stang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change to licensing Cog General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 01-30-2015 06:52 PM
Just Graduated! Davidthenguyen Motorcycles Unlimited 7 12-21-2012 10:08 PM
Just graduated. Ares Awesome Cycles MSF Riding Courses 16 09-26-2009 10:16 PM
Just graduated. Sniper1 Awesome Cycles MSF Riding Courses 5 08-16-2008 09:48 AM
TMGP Licensing? BlackWidow Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 09-06-2007 10:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

all for it.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Davekg
Honda Rider

Bike(s):
08 CBR

I don't like the idea

Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Good idea, but the logistics of putting it together, then trying to ENFORCE it, is what would bottom out.

Americans don't abide by rules as well as Europeans in the general sense IMO.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
Davekg
Honda Rider

Bike(s):
08 CBR

Europeans have a different mind set about a lot of things... I don't won't bigger government... to big and to much debt already.

Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

It's a good idea. It seems like dealers would love it too. It would encourage repeat customers and longer-term customers.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
It's a good idea. It seems like dealers would love it too. It would encourage repeat customers and longer-term customers.
I dont think the dealers would love it too much.

A large chunk of people that walk into a stealership and buy a bike are gonna wad it and never ride again. The dealerships are only going to have the one shot at that purchase, and they'll wanna sell them the priciest bike they can.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

I am all for it, obviously none of us would be effected and it would help new riders who obviously do not need 150 horsepower live long enough to get a second bike.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

does it matter the size of the bike? if someone doesn't know how to ride it, then they are going to get hit, regardless... the only way i would see it helping is to stop people from actually going 150... but lets be real, that doesn't happen THAT much with new riders they just don't go that fast. And other than not knowing how to turn, like the one guy a few weeks ago that just jumped off his bike? that would of happened if he was on a 1k or a 250... or the guys that got hit by cars, they still would of gotten hit, vs any size bike. so i personally think it's a not so good of an idea. just gives people MORE reasons to become illegal riders. half the people on bikes don't even have a class M, and you really think they are going to abide by engine size restrictions?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

I would just do an IQ test at the age of 16. Set a standard minimum and use it for everything. Motorcycle license, purchase of firearms, internet access, buying lawnmowers, etc.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
Stang Man
being rude

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
I dont think the dealers would love it too much.

A large chunk of people that walk into a stealership and buy a bike are gonna wad it and never ride again. The dealerships are only going to have the one shot at that purchase, and they'll wanna sell them the priciest bike they can.

On one hand, the dealer can currently plop a squid on the most expensive/fastest bike they have, and scoot them on out the door. They wad it up a week later, the bike is a total loss, and if the rider survives he likely will never want to ride again, because to him "motorcycles are DANGEROUS!"

On the other hand, with a graduated system, a dealer could get someone set up with a 250 or whatever is small/legal. Under the system, the rider would likely have to have taken the MSF and been licensed in order to purchase the bike. He buys his gear, buys the bike, and is out the door. IN THEORY, the rider is more responsible and puts his miles on the bike. This leads to mainenance revenue for the dealership. Upon "graduation," the rider returns to the original dealer, where he trades up and hands more cash over to the dealer for his newer, bigger bike. In this instance, the dealership gets the sale of two bikes, maintenance on two bikes, as well as the mark-up on the re-sale of the original smaller bike- which is in high demand due to the new law.

Yeah, it is undoubtedly far-fetched, and takes place in a perfect world far-far off, but this is how I imagine it would benefit the dealers.

Then, on the other (third) hand, do I really want the government telling me what to do? Haven't they intruded into my life and decisions enough? What do I care if someone is naive enough to try and ride a liter bike as their first bike and off's themself? Darwin at work, right? Do I just hope they don't catapult into a family of four heading home from church? The .gov can't possibly stop that from happening, right?

Tons of questions that will possibly never be answered, but questions that should be asked nontheless.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #13
Scottie

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
FJR 1300
FZ6 (Raven)

I am from the UK and they have had a tiered licensing system for years. It used to be

16 = (no Test required) 50cc and governed to 35 mph
17 = (no Test required) 250cc
once you passed your test you could then ride anything and many friends did, right up until they hit something solid :(

Before I got to 17 they changed the rules so that at 17 the biggest thing you could ride without a test was a 125. I am 6ft 6 tall and weigh the wrong side of 260 so rather than subject a poor 125 to pulling my fat around I chose to go the car route.

30 years later at the young age of 47 I decided that since the US had a much more liberal licensing system I'd buy a bike. 2 days with the mob from Awesome Cycles and I was fully qualified to ride round a night club parking lot so I went out and bought an FZ6, started slow and am still having a blast over a year later.

I believe the UK system now encompasses age as well as experience when you pass tests. They limit the bike you can ride and when you can ride it, not by engine size, but by HP. Someone told me that the Japanese limit the size of bike you can ride by saying that you can't ride a bike you can't pikck up if it falls. Not sure that is correct, but it sure makes sense.

Last edited by Scottie; 04-05-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
KSims1868

Bike(s):
Harley Davidson FXDWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Good idea, but the logistics of putting it together, then trying to ENFORCE it, is what would bottom out.
Yep - what he said!!
KSims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
r6gal
Banned

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
04 Yamaha r6

Member Garage

User is banned

r6gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #16
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
I'd like to propose a topic for conversation. A Graduated Licensing System for motorcycle/scooter licenses. Lets keep this civil, with as many relevant facts/figures as possible.

I'm referring to something similar to overseas, where you must do X amount of time on a smaller bike, before you can "graduate" to riding the bigger bikes.

This may or may not include not riding at night for X amount of time, etc.

What say you? There is no legislature coming down the pipeline concerning this, and I SERIOUSLY doubt that they'd do it- this is just a conversation about the topic.
no. no and no.

If i wanted to go get a busa as my first bike, i well better be able to. I get the purpose behind the idea and think it's a good idea but this is America. Screw any more restrictions set in place by our government telling us what is good for us. If Bubba can die for his country voluntarily serving in the armed forces, he should be able to go buy any bike of his choice and risk killing himself on that too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #17
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600

I have a friend from the UK. He bought an old 250. Put it in his Garage and then sold it a year later and got the bike he wanted. He only rode it a few times. The only reason he got it was cause of the system. I would probably do the same thing. In theory it works, but there is always people trying to get around the system.
Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #18
sandbarmark
ARRRRRGHHHHH6

Location: Somewhere in Canada. I would tell you where in Canada but it isn't like you Yanks can use maps.

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven
2003 Buell XB9S Lightning

Coming from a place where the only thing you need to pass is an eye test to get a learner's permit and then a road test to get a full, unrestricted license, I have seen a lot of kids go too crazy on bikes they are not mature enough for or not sized for them. These same kids often get into accidents while showing off for friends, etc.

If I understand the law here properly, you can take MSF and then get your full license, correct? Seems pretty good to me. But, if I remember correctly, you can still get your license through other means without MSF. That is the part that worries me.
sandbarmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #19
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600

The MSF needs to be more extensive here. How does driving around a parking lot teach you about interacting and merging with traffic? The theory part is good and the riding portion does teach some important riding techniques but another day where you go out into traffic with an instructor would go along way IMO.
Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #20
Stang Man
being rude

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarmark View Post
Coming from a place where the only thing you need to pass is an eye test to get a learner's permit and then a road test to get a full, unrestricted license, I have seen a lot of kids go too crazy on bikes they are not mature enough for or not sized for them. These same kids often get into accidents while showing off for friends, etc.

If I understand the law here properly, you can take MSF and then get your full license, correct? Seems pretty good to me. But, if I remember correctly, you can still get your license through other means without MSF. That is the part that worries me.
You used to be able to go to DPS, pass a written test, and take a riding test to get your license. The MSF would take place of a riding test, if you had the MSF under your belt.

Here recently, they changed it to where you MUST take the MSF for a license. This is a definite step in the right direction- I'd like to see numbers on motorcycle fatalities since this new rule was implemented.

Advertisement