MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #61
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
I've only been cycling on public roads for the last month or two. So far, no scary incidents. Buzzed once by an old lady, but for the most part people have been very considerate. Well, except for the asshat that threw a handful of tacks in the road that took 30+ of us out with flats.

Share the road! Some of you are stupid!

Recognize the sign is a speed LIMIT, not the minimum. I've seen VERY few roads with a posted minimum speed.

Complaining about bikes riding 2 or 3 abreast or taking up the whole lane? Lame on their part, but it happens, but geeze.. just get around them. Cars take up a whole land and you get around them just fine. Move along and stop being stupid.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anger managment needed towards bicyclists kingworm General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 03-11-2014 09:04 AM
Biker Plows Into Bicyclists (VIDEO) ormand General Discussion (Moto Related) 84 05-02-2013 08:52 AM
motorcycle crashes into bicyclists chasee69 Off Topic 10 04-30-2013 06:53 AM
WOMAN RUNS OVER BICYCLISTS FastLine Off Topic 3 08-11-2006 02:53 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #62
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Real men ride BMX...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	040907_rad.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	43306  

Last edited by Vegas Kid; 04-04-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #63
boofthese

Feedback Rating: (2)

All im gonna say is, if you're on a bicycle and your in the road...i will ride your ....and i will honk my horn.....If you dont like it, GTFO the way.....and if you touch my car, my car will politely touch you back
boofthese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #64
jimmy the gent
wich u gon do?

Experience: 7 years

A few things:

Roads are for motor vehicles. Period. Not bicycles or pedestrians.

If I were to ride any motor vehicle (even a motorcycle) at the speed at which these bicycles are traveling on some of the roadways I would receive a citation for going too slow (and perhaps a few other things) ... Just because I take up "less space" or "move to the right" would not matter.

I think exercise and riding a bicycle is great--but if you're going to do it on a public roadway you should obey all the same laws (including the speed limit). If you can't you should stay off those roads.

Running up on a group of bicycles doing 20 in a 55 is just as ridiculous as a group of sport bikes doing 100 in a 55. Sure, i've done it but if I get a ticket I will have to pay it. The fact that the roadway had no cars, or I took up "less space" or did it "to the right" would matter not.
jimmy the gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #65
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy the gent View Post
Road (n) - a thoroughfare, route, or way between two places, which typically has been improved to allow travel by some conveyance, including a horse, cart, bicycle or motorized vehicle.

I will ride my bicycle on whatever road I please. Public roads are payed for with public funds, and since last I checked I am part of the afore mentioned "public", I will ride it there and you will just have to deal with it.

sloth shades?w391&amph237
Old 04-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #66
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

Quote:
A few things:

Your statement is a matter of opinion - definitely not fact.
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #67
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
plus 1
Old 04-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #68
JP171

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Hey! You shut your mouth. I'm entitled and I own the roads and everyone sucks but me!
hate much????

Quote:
Originally Posted by boofthese View Post
All im gonna say is, if you're on a bicycle and your in the road...i will ride your ....and i will honk my horn.....If you dont like it, GTFO the way.....and if you touch my car, my car will politely touch you back

and I will touch your car with extreme predjudice!

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #69
Greg in H-town

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'07 ZZR600

Quote:
Which type of roads, exactly? As far as I know, the only places that have a minimum speed limit posted are some freeways and all interstate highways, both of which are off-limits to bicycles according to the law.

Quote:
If I were to ride any motor vehicle (even a motorcycle) at the speed at which these bicycles are traveling on some of the roadways I would receive a citation for going too slow [...]
I've used my bicycle to pass many tractors and other farm implements - should I have called the cops?

Quote:
I think exercise and riding a bicycle is great--but if you're going to do it on a public roadway you should obey all the same laws (including the speed limit). If you can't you should stay off those roads.
A perfectly valid point of view, but the TxDOT Transportation Code doesn't agree with you. I'm not saying that as a "neener-neener" chip on the shoulder, it's just that a lot of people aren't aware of what the law actually says about that.

Quote:
Running up on a group of bicycles doing 20 in a 55 is just as ridiculous as a group of sport bikes doing 100 in a 55.
In the first case, nobody is breaking the law - in the second case someone obviously is. No equivalence there, IMO.
Greg in H-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #70

Bike(s):
SV650

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~m...ke.html#spike1
#328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:13 AM   #71

Bike(s):
SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
I will ride my bicycle where ever I please.
I fixed it for you.

Bicycle riding should not be limited to the road it like your motorcycle on the freeway can be very boring. I have ridden on, into, or off of trails, bike lanes, sidewalks, train tracks (sucks on skinny tires fat one's aren't much better), living rooms, dining rooms, pools drained or filled, front and back yards, parking lots, running tracks, velodromes, ditches, bayous, creeks, driveways, warehouses, fire, ramps, jumps, people, cyclists, cars, animals, stairs, and I think that covers all of it.

Last edited by #328; 04-05-2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Because I can.
#328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #72
Bart
Thread killer

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

CYCLING IS AWESOME

Everyone's thinking it, I'll just go ahead and say it. (1) They're getting exercise, (2) they're not polluting. Overall these guys deserve some respect. There's constant attention to obesity and health issues and the cyclists are doing something about it. There's also constant debate over these holes in the ozone layer (not that I fully buy into it, but...) and even though cyclists are notorious for smelling bad you really can't blame them for the grey/brown smog in the air.

Far as I'm concerned all those on 2 wheels are brethren to me. Yes, there are jacktards. Don't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch; most cyclists realize that getting run over = pain or death, and will make the effort to stay out of your way. I see a cyclist pushing or in the ditch I stop to offer help to them too. The ones that think they own the road are the same ones who later that day will be driving their SUV while texting and talking and playing princess so it's not like we miss out on our chance to bash them anyway.

There are asshats in big rigs, on harleys, sportbikes, in jeeps, at your job, wearing badges, teaching our kids, riding the bus, holding office, in church, everywhere. If you speak against a group because some of its members are buttslime you've just demonized all of society and everyone on planet Earth.

And as mentioned they're not tearing the roads up. All this taxation is stupid; yes the $$$ spent on our infrastructure (theoretically) came from motor-vehicle derived sources - there's no reason cyclists shouldn't have access to roads. Public roads are for the public.

And now for something nice:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man
I was out on my bicycle doing my MS150 training in Chappell Hill this weekend. Whenever we ride, we stay single file and as far right as possible. If theres a shoulder, we will be riding on the shoulder.

There are VERY FEW dedicated tracks/roads for road bikes, so we are forced to share the same roads the cars do. We take as many backroads/less traveled roads to not be a nuisance, and really appreciate it when a cage gives us as much room as is safe for them.

2 wheels, we're all on the same team!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fz6
eh? i like the bike guys, they always wave a friendly hello to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Kid
I got no issue with bicycles on the road, they run a risk of getting hit by cagers just like we do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPsyclone
All of the riding groups I have ridden with make an effort to maintain a consistent line single file, use the shoulder when it is usable, and only ride two abreast when the leader is dropping back. We have very similar hand signals for debris and road hazards as motorcycles. We try to call up and warn for approaching or passing vehicles. Bottom line is - there are idiots who will selfishly be inconsiderate of others no matter where they fall on the horsepower / size food chain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by #328
It is all good put some fun between your legs get out there and ride you might find you like it, it is never too late to start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92
I've got no problem with 99.5% of the bicyclists I come upon while riding my motorcycle or driving my car.
While leading a motorcycle group, I am good to put a leg out to indicate we are coming up on cyclist, we then all shift over to allow them room. This is in the same lane, or opposite lane in case a car is trying to get around them. We usually get a wave or nod when we safely pass them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess
From what I've seen it wouldn't hurt a few motorcyclist here to grab a two wheeler without an engine as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC
Share the road
MUCHO KUDOS TO YOU ALL

... aaaaaaand one more thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by #328
...I have ridden on, into, or off of ... people, cyclists, cars, animals...
?!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #73
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
A few things:

If I were to ride any motor vehicle (even a motorcycle) at the speed at which these bicycles are traveling on some of the roadways I would receive a citation for going too slow (and perhaps a few other things) ... Just because I take up "less space" or "move to the right" would not matter.

Running up on a group of bicycles doing 20 in a 55 is just as ridiculous as a group of sport bikes doing 100 in a 55. Sure, i've done it but if I get a ticket I will have to pay it. The fact that the roadway had no cars, or I took up "less space" or did it "to the right" would matter not.
Is there a minimum speed limit on a farm to market road? Should farmers and their tractors be banned too?
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:43 AM   #74
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

1298914487 car plows through cyclists
Old 04-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #75
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

its sad to see so many motorcyclicts willing to "buzz", honk, hit or run cyclicts off the road....the same motorcyclists that will get when a cage does the same thing to them.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #76
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST675 View Post
its sad to see so many motorcyclicts willing to "buzz", honk, hit or run cyclicts off the road....the same motorcyclists that will get when a cage does the same thing to them.
i can't remember a single time a car buzzed me.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #77
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
i can't remember a single time a car buzzed me.
I usually only go 10 over on the straights and jackwads fly by me frequently on the freeways
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #78
ChrisBurke

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZX14
2012 Kawasaki Brute Force 750

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post

ChrisBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #79
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Motohouston cycling jersey group buy?
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #80
Stang Man
being rude

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)
1983 Honda Nighthawk(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boofthese View Post
OOhhhhhhh....BIG GUY in a cage!

I ride as far right as is safe, or even on the shoulder! If you decide thats not enough and still want to start problems, please remember that many cyclists carry concealed handguns, and the threat of a motor vehicle could easily be seen as a "threat to life".
Family bikes: V-Star 1100, Harley 883, KLR-650
Stang Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement