MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
CalamariKid

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1, 1995 R1100GS, 2008 WR450F

Bicyclists

Don't want to threadjack another thread where I saw someone about bicylcists on 3090, but wanted to throw in my two cents on the issue.

Bicyclists have as much right to the road as we do. If you want to ride your motorcycle without being inconvenienced by other users of a public roadway then take it to the track, otherwise show others the same respect you want.

Yes, I know some bicyclists do things they should not, ride where they should not, etc, but as motorcyclists we know that not every single one of our brethern are MSF poster children either.

As far as bicylists wearing 'gay outfits' - we power ranger wannabees should be careful about throwing that stone.
CalamariKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anger managment needed towards bicyclists kingworm General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 03-11-2014 09:04 AM
Biker Plows Into Bicyclists (VIDEO) ormand General Discussion (Moto Related) 84 05-02-2013 08:52 AM
motorcycle crashes into bicyclists chasee69 Off Topic 10 04-30-2013 06:53 AM
WOMAN RUNS OVER BICYCLISTS FastLine Off Topic 3 08-11-2006 02:53 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):

then they should get speeding violations for going too slow.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

and pay fair share of road taxes and display their license plates in proper DOT location
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

I dont mind sharing the road but when they ride 4 or 5 wide and refuse to move like daring me to hit one of them, I will buzz there azz, fuc em go to a park, running red lights, etc
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Bike(s):

and undergo a full state safety inspection and display proof of conformance to said safety standards for reflectors, vehicle condition, sufficient tire tread and mount a DOT approved battery operated light to make registration, license plate and inspection sticker visible at 50 ft.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

don't forget liability insurance to cover the accidents they may cause by obstructing traffic.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

They have never bothered me, I try to be respectful. If they have a problem with vehicles being close to them, that's their choice.

As for the law, here's an interesting read:
http://transport.tamu.edu/bicycles/statelaw.aspx
Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalamariKid View Post
Don't want to threadjack another thread where I saw someone about bicylcists on 3090, but wanted to throw in my two cents on the issue.

Bicyclists have as much right to the road as we do. If you want to ride your motorcycle without being inconvenienced by other users of a public roadway then take it to the track, otherwise show others the same respect you want.

Yes, I know some bicyclists do things they should not, ride where they should not, etc, but as motorcyclists we know that not every single one of our brethern are MSF poster children either.

As far as bicylists wearing 'gay outfits' - we power ranger wannabees should be careful about throwing that stone.
+1

it all rolls down hill, truckers complain about cars. Cars complain about motorcycles say they should not be on the road. and it looks like some motorcyclists complain about bikers.

All B.S. IMO, people getting bent out of shape for being in-convinced in some SMALL way and feel they need to .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
then in that respect, so should runners and walkers. I see them all the time in the street as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
I dont mind sharing the road but when they ride 4 or 5 wide and refuse to move like daring me to hit one of them, I will buzz there azz, fuc em go to a park, running red lights, etc
Agree to a point. They should not be 4-5 wide on the street. But buzz'in them? you like it when a cager buzzes you?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Bicyclists have as much right to the road as we do.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Quote:
When it's illegal, they will. At this point, it's not

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
and pay fair share of road taxes and display their license plates in proper DOT location
Same. When it's illegal, they will. Besides, I pay road taxes for 3 vehicles... I think it's fair enough that I ride my bicycle on the road. It does MUCH less damage/wear to the roadway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
It is illegal, we (bicyclists) do get pulled over for it. More than 2 abreast is illegal. If the road is narrow enough that it isn't safe for a vehicle to pass, then law allows bicycles to "take the lane". Some groups assume if 2 abreast is taking lane, it hurts no one to be 4wide in one lane. Personally, I'll move over for a motorcycle to share, but don't leave room for bubba in his pickup truck to try and squeeze by. Most states require 3ft between rider and passer... that takes a decent sized lane.

some other good points posted while i was. Also, joggers at cyclists for being in parks. They'll yell "Ride out to brookshire".

Last edited by chevy42083; 04-04-2011 at 09:06 AM.
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #11
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

interesting discussion.

Without reading the 3090 thread, i'll say that most bicyclists needs to make sure they abide by certain traffic laws for obvious safety reasons. I see that problem alot, especially in the warmer weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #12
ericlw
Banned

User is banned

ericlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
They have never bothered me, I try to be respectful. If they have a problem with vehicles being close to them, that's their choice.

As for the law, here's an interesting read:
http://transport.tamu.edu/bicycles/statelaw.aspx
Typically i dont have a problem with them either - 'cept when theres like 10 + of them hogging up a road and i cant pass because of traffic and according to that link they are not allowed to do that.

I think its overlooked that a) bicycles have rights to the road and b) they regularly overlook the inconvenience they cause, are often an obstruction to traffic and a huge safety hazard.

No doubt there's comparisons to how motorcyclists and cars ignore laws too (sometimes in regards to bicyclists) but its not unfair to point out the problems with bicycles being on big roads with speed limits much faster than they ride.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

Quote:

Yup... you have a "right" to be there. I just paid $577 TT&L and $14.50 for inspection in addition to my $129 monthly insurance payments for my motorcycle. Oh yeah... flashy bike shorts/hand signals >>> turn signals/brake lights, duuude!!!

Just don't try and draft behind me down a rolling hill. I'm real heavy on the brakes... I live in Austin so I catch the brunt of these moronic bicyclists with a death wish waddling down Lamar then 360 during rush hour.
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #15
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #16
Stang Man
being rude

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)
1983 Honda Nighthawk(sold)

Member Garage

I was out on my bicycle doing my MS150 training in Chappell Hill this weekend. Whenever we ride, we stay single file and as far right as possible. If theres a shoulder, we will be riding on the shoulder.

There are VERY FEW dedicated tracks/roads for road bikes, so we are forced to share the same roads the cars do. We take as many backroads/less traveled roads to not be a nuisance, and really appreciate it when a cage gives us as much room as is safe for them.

2 wheels, we're all on the same team!
Family bikes: V-Star 1100, Harley 883, KLR-650
Stang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #17
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

Quote:
Typically i dont have a problem with them either - 'cept when theres like 10 + of them hogging up a road and i cant pass because of traffic and according to that link they are not allowed to do that.

I think its overlooked that a) bicycles have rights to the road and b) they regularly overlook the inconvenience they cause, are often an obstruction to traffic and a huge safety hazard.

No doubt there's comparisons to how motorcyclists and cars ignore laws too (sometimes in regards to bicyclists) but its not unfair to point out the problems with bicycles being on big roads with speed limits much faster than they ride.
Here in Austin, they have marked MANY roads with a bicycle lane. I definitely can roll with that but I do NOT like sharing a lane or being forced to pass. It just annoys me that I paid for that bike lane.

I am 100% in favor of an obscene bike tax. I pay for mine..
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #18
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Here in Austin, they have marked MANY roads with a bicycle lane. I definitely can roll with that but I do NOT like sharing a lane or being forced to pass. It just annoys me that I paid for that bike lane.

I am 100% in favor of an obscene bike tax. I pay for mine..
There should be an obscene tax for anything on the road slower than me
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #19
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg

Aren't vehicle taxes based on weight? Not really sure, but I thought so.

I guess I wouldn't mind paying for my 15lb track bike. The 19lb road bike... man... that could get expensive.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #20
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg

BTW, the real "problem" with cycling laws is in the vagueness of them.

For example from the link...
"Persons riding two abreast may not impede the normal and reasonable flow of traffic on the roadway."
What is "normal and reasonable"? If you have to pause behind a cyclist moving at 20mph for 30sec till you can safely pass... is that acceptable?

They also say cyclists should ride "as far right as safely possible".
If I ride on the right line, people squeeze by, some moving over 1/2 a lane, some within inches. If i get in the middle of the lane, they don't pass unless there is plenty of space... and that's definitely safer in my book.

There's a couple laws like that. No hard rules for it. Open to interpretation, differing views, and some very ignorant people. Ya'll are informed, just don't like it. There are plenty of people who simply have NO idea, and don't mind having my life in their hands.

EDIT: Eh, just wait it out, all the MS150 noob crowds will be off the road by the end of the month.

Sidenote: I found it funny that my bicycles all have more miles per year than any motorcycles i was looking at.

Last edited by chevy42083; 04-04-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Advertisement