Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006, 06:57 AM   #1
straight shooter
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Defective equipment?

I read this on another forum and got a laugh. But could some of this guys arguments to beat out tickets actually work? Read on and commence discussion:icon_bigg JR
__________________________________________________ ___________
Let me first give you props. Almost EVERYONE becomes appologetic with the officer, whether or not they think they are guilty, they think that pandering and pretending to be sorry might get them out of it right then and there. Generally it just seals the deal. ALWAYS TREAT COPS WITH RESPECT, but also treat them like people. Talk to them jovially, but use Sir. If you can make them laugh, you increase your chances of getting out of it 10 fold. NEVER admit guilt. Even if sin looks at you with envy. NEVER give a reason WHY the situation is as it is. EVEN if you think it is legit.

On court... I dont know what nick is talking about, but it aint traffic court. I have been to traffic court more than anyone here, I guarantee it. I have gotten out of more than anyone here. I guarantee that as well.

16 wreckless drivings - 3 stuck
21 speeding tickets - 4 stuck
10 driving on a suspended - 8 stuck (that ones hard)
countless non moving violations... inspection, registration, tail light, turn signal, tire pressure (yes. I was pulled and ticketed for low tire pressure.) I would probably say about 7 of those stuck.

This was all by the time I was 18. The list gets pretty ugly from there and I have shared enough.

On lawyers... They cost money. Just showing up with one generally reduces a ticket. Yes you are going to spend more on the lawyer than the fines, but... and this is an important but... your license points will be uneffected. You have a limited ammount. If you are in a position to afford an attourney then by all means do so. If you arent, borrow if you can. Lawyer is really always a good idea. If that lawyer is not an idiot, then listen to him. Don't insist on a plan of attack if he thinks it is not a good idea.

Traffic court is one of the few places you can win against the state without a lawyer, and it can be quite entertaining. Your best bet is ALWAYS defective equipment. Dear I love cable driven speedos and miss them sorely. You could grind a corner off of that thing and it would bob and dive back and forth like crazy. 30 dollar replacement and a note from your dealership and boom... 96 mph and 7 points turns into defective equipment. If it is night time it is even easier... pull the gauge fuse and boom... no light. Blow the fuse, put it back, take it to the dealer and badabing... defective equipment. Non moving violation. There are lots of tricks... all of which I havn't the bredth to share... but never take a point ticket without a fight. It is ALWAYS worth it.

Now your situation is sort of good, and sort of sucks. Daytime pace just sucks. It is a horribly inaccurate measure of speed, but an accepted meathod. The only worse is VasCar. I would first measure EXACTLY how far the cop could have paced you. Not when you saw him, but when he COULD have begun pace (depending on your geography it may be on the ticket). Figure out if there was enough possible area to pace 1/4 mile. Mapquest it. Depending on the state, they may not NEED a 1/4 mile to pace you, but the cop saying as much is all that is needed. All we want to do is debunk his testimony. I do not recommend lying in court. For all of my shady shady and implicit innocence. I never lie. I believe in the rule of law, and will use trickery to legal my way out of things, but I do not lie. Ever. If the judge EVER asked me point blank if I commited the offense, I would say yes. If he asked if I was guilty, I would say no, as I am innocent until PROVEN guilty. NOT a lie. Anyway... thats how I work, and recommend you do the same. So... if he could NOT have paced you that far, take your stupid little mapquest thing to court and show that this was not possible. That would be enough. Be prepared (even if that is the case) to demonstrate that your speedo is not working correctly and explain that you were going the speed of traffic. I don't know the specifics on your bike as to what relay/electronic wizardry operates your speedo... but find it and fry it unless it is hideously expensive. Explain that sportbikes now days will easily do upwards of 200 mph and that you were simply going the flow of traffic until you could get it looked at over the weekend, trying NOT to speed. Also, if you have done any modifications to the sprocket teeth... you can go that way as well. Explain that you didnt realize it would throw your speedo off, and that after some research you have found that there is a speed fixer for whatever gearing you have. etc etc... use your imagination. Think defective equip. Good luck.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote