MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki zx-6r Totaled
:(

Patch or replace? (Plug) Tire question

So rode last night and decided I was sick of the tar ie dirty rims I have needed to clean for 6 months. I stop at a friends some Grease lighning and BAM shiny.. then I see it........ The f'n nail in my back tire.
So the question is plug or new tire. Tight on funds right now but if the price is right ill get a new one. Anyone know if anyone has new rear tires for sale ><

Also side note. Tires seam to be flattening out pretty fast. Pressure seams ok. I know i am more of a straight road rider but lol any ideas to slowing this down. and NO im not going to stop riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Hello. My name is Squoddy and I'm a . Sometimes I just can't help myself; I CRAVE !
GIVE IT TO ME!
humbleassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
plug and patch tire Busa_Bullet General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-27-2009 08:03 AM
Tire patch or plug tonyt915 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 01-30-2009 02:20 AM
Plug, patch, or new tire? blends Off Topic 20 09-25-2008 11:13 AM
tire patch question OMEGA Performance and Modifications 29 01-21-2008 12:54 PM
Patch, Plug or brand new tire again? 0oAndyo0 General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 04-17-2006 11:20 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
sandbarmark
ARRRRRGHHHHH6

Location: Somewhere in Canada. I would tell you where in Canada but it isn't like you Yanks can use maps.

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven
2003 Buell XB9S Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleassassin View Post
So rode last night and decided I was sick of the tar ie dirty rims I have needed to clean for 6 months. I stop at a friends some Grease lighning and BAM shiny.. then I see it........ The f'n nail in my back tire.
So the question is plug or new tire. Tight on funds right now but if the price is right ill get a new one. Anyone know if anyone has new rear tires for sale ><

Also side note. Tires seam to be flattening out pretty fast. Pressure seams ok. I know i am more of a straight road rider but lol any ideas to slowing this down. and NO im not going to stop riding.
The last time I had a puncture I took it to a tire shop that does vulcanized patches. Way better than a plug. The place I took it did tire work for medium and heavy duty trucks. Call around. I am sure you can find a place.
sandbarmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

First the bad part.
Saying the tire pressure "seems" to be ok, is an indication that you don't how much pressure is in them. Motorcycle tire pressure is very impotant for grip, and tire wear.
Buy a good quality guage and use it at least once a week.

The good part.
IMHO if the nail is in the tread, I would plug it and ride it.
That said, I would ride it with the thought in mind that there is a hole in my tire being plugged. I wouldn't be doing highspeed, hard cornering ride the out the bike until I got a new tire.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600

Plug it from the inside (if you can find someone to do it). Start saving and buy a new tire ASAP. IMO.
Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Stang Man
being rude

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)
1983 Honda Nighthawk(sold)

Member Garage

How many miles left on the tire?

I'd plug/plug-patch it, and just piddle around on it. No high speed, extended freeway bombing, or knee dragging.

If you go to pull the nail out and can HEAR or SEE that it has ripped the cords, go ahead and wait for the new tire.
Family bikes: V-Star 1100, Harley 883, KLR-650
Stang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
r6txrider
I was not speeding!!

Bike(s):
2005 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (kidnaped)

My buddy rode his bike with 5 plugs in one hole.. he did wheelies with it too! But if want pnp cycles have used tires for sale...or you can buy a new one from them or bring your own and have them mounted.. $35 if the wheels on the bike.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Personally, I would ALWAYS replace the tire. Doesn't matter if the tire is just one day old and gets a puncture. I'll plug it just so I can get home.....but beyond that, time to replace. There are two things that I always want to be in good working order on a bike, the tires and the brakes.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6txrider View Post
My buddy rode his bike with 5 plugs in one hole.. he did wheelies with it too! But if want pnp cycles have used tires for sale...or you can buy a new one from them or bring your own and have them mounted.. $35 if the wheels on the bike.
5 plugs in one hole. I've heard of something similar to that. What's it called again...... DVDA?
Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
r6txrider
I was not speeding!!

Bike(s):
2005 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (kidnaped)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higham View Post
5 plugs in one hole. I've heard of something similar to that. What's it called again...... DVDA?
I nickname the hole.. The hoe
Old 04-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

From Bridgestone

Quote:
Tire Repairs

Riding on an improperly repaired tire is dangerous. An improper repair can cause further damage to the tire. It may suddenly fail, causing serious personal injury or death. To be safe, go to your local dealer for proper tire repairs.

Before having a tire repaired, tell your local dealer if you have used an aerosol fixer to inflate/ seal the tire. Aerosol fixers could contain a highly volatile gas. Always remove the valve core outdoors, away from sources of excessive heat, flame, or sparks and completely deflate the tire before removing it from the rim for repair.

Never repair a tire with less than 1/32nd inch (0.8 millimeters) tread remaining. At this tread depth, the tire is worn out and must be replaced.

Never repair a tire with a puncture larger than 1/4 inch (6.4 millimeters) in diameter. Such tires cannot be properly repaired and must be replaced.

Repairs of all tires (radial and non-radial) must be of the plug and inside patch type. Using plugs alone on any type of tire is not a safe repair.

Never repair a tire with a puncture or other damage outside the tread area. Such tires cannot be properly repaired and must be replaced.

Any tire repair done without removing the tire from the rim is improper.
Tubes, like tires, should be repaired only by a qualified tire service person.

Never use a tube as a substitute for a proper repair.

A tire's speed rating is void if the tire is repaired, retreaded, damaged or abused, or otherwise altered from its original condition. Thereafter, it should be treated as a non-speed-rated tire.

Speed should not exceed 50 mph (80kph) in the first 24 hours after a repair is made and the repaired tire should never be used at speeds above 80 mph (128 kph).
Bridgestone
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki zx-6r Totaled
:(

well above 80 sometimes I hate you lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Hello. My name is Squoddy and I'm a . Sometimes I just can't help myself; I CRAVE !
GIVE IT TO ME!
humbleassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
The good part.
IMHO if the nail is in the tread, I would plug it and ride it.
That said, I would ride it with the thought in mind that there is a hole in my tire being plugged. I wouldn't be doing highspeed, hard cornering ride the out the bike until I got a new tire.
I did on both times i had a nail... actually the only problem i had was my front tire's valve steam cracked on me at 100mph and that was scary.....

other then that.... i've plugged tires left to right and haven't had any problems! (knock on wood)
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
ride-red
Monster

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 1000RR
04 VT1100C2
00 CBR929RR (SOLD)

Iíve plugged my tire and was able to get full use. You should be fine but if you have any doubt patch it!
ride-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #14
The Trav
slowpoke

Trackdays: 1

a true patch plug (from the inside) using a vulcanizing agent, and done properly will last the life of the tire. as long as it is in the middle 50% (not the outer 25%), it will be just fine.

I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement