MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 08:34 AM   #21
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki zx-6r Totaled
:(

I just hop on and go. :| warms up as I back it up to go straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Hello. My name is Squoddy and I'm a . Sometimes I just can't help myself; I CRAVE !
GIVE IT TO ME!
humbleassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
carb'd vs Fuel injected venezuelan12 Stunters Lounge 11 11-02-2009 10:19 PM
My fuel connectors attached to the fuel pump mounting plate. Zapata How To's and Q & A's 9 11-20-2008 11:58 PM
first bike, fuel injected or carbeurated? along77082 Safety Corner Main 31 04-21-2008 06:30 PM
Question about Roll Starting your Fuel Injected Bikes AhmadHasib General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 01-28-2008 06:37 PM
Carburator or fuel injected??? ttRan General Discussion (Moto Related) 55 10-12-2007 04:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2011, 08:53 AM   #22
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Change my avatar?? I don't even have a avatar!!

Nah, I'm a nice guy in general. I just hold grudges is all.
Sorry I meant you're Custom User Title. Couldn't remember what it was called. "Deaf "
Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #23
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
no guage on my bike to tell me the temp... its obvious when the bike is warmed up... rpms drop
Is it fuel-injected? I am really enjoying having this temp guage but AT THE SAME TIME.... watching it rise over 225 makes me paranoid as heck!!
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #24
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higham View Post
Sorry I meant you're Custom User Title. Couldn't remember what it was called. "Deaf "
Shhhhhhh!!! You're boring me!

Lmao.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #25
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Is it fuel-injected? I am really enjoying having this temp guage but AT THE SAME TIME.... watching it rise over 225 makes me paranoid as heck!!
yeah, hearing that fan kick on is a moment, but i assure you it's all good.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #26
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Fan working?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #27
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600

Quote:
Shhhhhhh!!! You're boring me!

Lmao.
Touché
Old 03-31-2011, 09:02 AM   #28
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Fan working?
have the same bike as him. 225 is the temp the fan kicks on at.

Khaki shirt.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #29
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #30
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
ahh missed the post about the 1K. Got it.

Mine is just a 600, but temp guage goes from "LOW" to 104 deg, it's really to roll.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #31
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
ahh missed the post about the 1K. Got it.

Mine is just a 600, but temp guage goes from "LOW" to 104 deg, it's really to roll.
our temp reading will start when it hits 68, like he said, but on a shingle, im not riding off with it that low. 68degree oil just doesnt seem too awesome to me. But like many have said, i start the bike and let it idle while i gear up and Im usually sitting at 100 or close to it by the time im ready to KSU.
To me, though, the consideration about letting it warm up and keeping the revs low and all that is secondary to getting the tires to temp. I start banging gears as soon as I get on and Im spinning up the rear.

Khaki shirt.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #32
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Oh yeah 68 is way too low I would think.

I'm surprised no one in here has chimed in about synthetic vs. regular oil and which one has to be warmed up more than the other?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 AM   #33
Mr. Evo IX

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 GSXR1000
04 KTM SX50

10 seconds, and the time it takes to back out of my garage.. probably another 10 seconds or so.
Mr. Evo IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:28 AM   #34
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
My fan kicks on at 221 but it has risen to 225 in heavy traffic. I pulled over to visually confirm if the fan was running because I can't hear it kick on (Deaf) but it was running just fine. Traffic that day was brutal and it was hot.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #35
KSims1868

Bike(s):
Harley Davidson FXDWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
The question is, do you want to put a load on an engine before the oil warms up?
This is the KEY point that I've always tried to make when this discussion comes up on other forums. Letting the engine oil come up to operating temp is very important - doesn't matter if you have a carb or fuel injection. YES...you CAN hit the switch and go because of fuel injection, but it doesn't mean you SHOULD!!

Proper warm up procedures should still be followed...regardless of how you feed fuel to the motor.
KSims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #36
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
My fan kicks on at 221 but it has risen to 225 in heavy traffic. I pulled over to visually confirm if the fan was running because I can't hear it kick on (Deaf) but it was running just fine. Traffic that day was brutal and it was hot.
oh yeah, didnt consider you not being able to hear it kick on

Khaki shirt.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #37
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
With multi-grade oils, "warming up the oil" isn't as important as it was say.....in 1950. The biggest thing, nowadays, to concern yourself with is to make certain there's enough time for the oil pump to start lubricating the valvetrain. On modern bikes, this doesn't take very long.

Now I wouldn't go run the living dog out of it until the coolant comes up to temp as there is an issue of metal expansion to worry about, but simply riding down the street should be fine.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:01 AM   #38
Abear
Do it to it!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
07 Kawi ZX6R

I start it up in my garage, usually already have my jacket zipped up, so I just put my helmet on, gloves on, back it up, and its normally showing ~110 or so. Plus, I love making sure the neighbors are up early if I have to be, haha. Guess that makes me a too.
Abear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #39
spartandude
Custom User Title

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Another question. When you guys talk about low RPMs I am assuming you are talking about low compared to red line. Am I right?

When you start up you want to avoid two issues: low RPM lugging of the engine and high RPMs. Making the motor pull the bike at really low RPM (30mph in 6th I think someone mentioned) gives the motor extremely high forces as the pistons try to torque their way through at poor mechanical advantage (pedal a bicycle in high gear from a stop for stress comparison). High RPMs give high forces due to the component acceleration (think piston changing direction). Both of these conditions are undesirable.

That being said idling is not necessary as long as you take it easy. 5 to 10 seconds is all you need to get the oil around and then gently move out. Letting the bike warm up is a good practice, but I'm pretty sure not necessary. Still with the neanderthals on this site moving out gently may mean spinning up to 8K since it isn't close to the 12K red line. So YMMV.

I hit the start button, wait a tick and roll out. I have 65K and no oil consumption between oil changes. Most of you guys have sport bikes so take my advice with a grain of salt. Just please don't lug those SS engines they aren't made for low RPM torque.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #40
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartandude View Post
Another question. When you guys talk about low RPMs I am assuming you are talking about low compared to red line. Am I right?

When you start up you want to avoid two issues: low RPM lugging of the engine and high RPMs. Making the motor pull the bike at really low RPM (30mph in 6th I think someone mentioned) gives the motor extremely high forces as the pistons try to torque their way through at poor mechanical advantage (pedal a bicycle in high gear from a stop for stress comparison). High RPMs give high forces due to the component acceleration (think piston changing direction). Both of these conditions are undesirable.

That being said idling is not necessary as long as you take it easy. 5 to 10 seconds is all you need to get the oil around and then gently move out. Letting the bike warm up is a good practice, but I'm pretty sure not necessary. Still with the neanderthals on this site moving out gently may mean spinning up to 8K since it isn't close to the 12K red line. So YMMV.

I hit the start button, wait a tick and roll out. I have 65K and no oil consumption between oil changes. Most of you guys have sport bikes so take my advice with a grain of salt. Just please don't lug those SS engines they aren't made for low RPM torque.
F*@k it. Since I was the dumbass going 30 in 6th. I'm just going to let it warm up and off the neighbors. I'm not gonna risk my bike.

Last edited by Higham; 03-31-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Spelling

Advertisement