MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
SeaBasss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
01 CBR929RR
97 Suzuki RM250

Front Brake Question

When I grab my front brake it makes a RRRRRRRRRZZZZZZZ type sound, as I apply more pressure the sound increases I checked the pads & they look good, what do you guys think? Any information will be appreciated. I need to get the time to take it buy Motorcycles Unlimited but I dont have the $$$$ to spare on the bike right now so it will sit in the garage (because I dont want to go down the hwy & grab front brake & nothing happen) untill I can figure out whats wrong so tell me what you guys think.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front brake problem jb8223 General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 09-16-2014 06:00 AM
Front brake Issue ~JefeR1~ How To's and Q & A's 7 07-15-2009 06:49 PM
Where to get Front Brake Resivor Los General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 08-04-2006 09:21 PM
Try the front brake... Steve O Chap General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 04-30-2006 06:05 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Not being able to hear it I would suggest getting it looked at. But I'm pretty sure that sound you are hearing is normal. Most bikes make that sound. It's just the pad grabbing the rotor.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
AYEELE
Yeah i can get it up

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
08 1000rr
silver 04 r6(stunt)
Black 03 600rr(sold)
White and pink 06 r6

is the rotor loose ?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

when you say the pad looks good. what do you mean. seems to me that if you aren't sure about the noise you aren't going to be sure about what you are looking for when checking the brakes. look at both pads on each rotor (4 pads) and estimate a measurement on how much pad is left on each one. fyi - the piston side of the brake caliper will wear faster than the non-piston side.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
SeaBasss

Bike(s):
01 CBR929RR
97 Suzuki RM250

I looked at the pads on both sides & there is still plenty of pad left. I did not remove the calliper to check pads.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
SeaBasss

Bike(s):
01 CBR929RR
97 Suzuki RM250

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Not being able to hear it I would suggest getting it looked at. But I'm pretty sure that sound you are hearing is normal. Most bikes make that sound. It's just the pad grabbing the rotor.
I am a little def in my ears so I may not of picked up on the sound untill now.
I just hope its not a saftey issue.

Last edited by SeaBasss; 03-30-2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Im retarded
SeaBasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki zx-6r Totaled
:(

Well i have noticed since I got teh bike out of the garage when I have to break alot, not really to hard either I smeall what seams to be burning. I checked the pads they are not bad yet. I am thinking something else is up. I dont know. Will try to take it to 2 Wheel Toyz to let Rudy check it when I can. heh if they are still there Ive been gone for 17 months, just got back down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Hello. My name is Squoddy and I'm a . Sometimes I just can't help myself; I CRAVE !
GIVE IT TO ME!
humbleassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

might be normal sounds then. notice any difference in stopping ability? if not I would not think too much of it. it might have been there all along and you just now noticed.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
SeaBasss

Bike(s):
01 CBR929RR
97 Suzuki RM250

stopping ability no difference she still stops ok. I feel a little bit better might haft to go on a liitle ride before the wife gets back . I will have a litle bit of time tomorrow & will stop by Motorcycles Unlimited just to make sure
Old 03-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
when you say the pad looks good. what do you mean. seems to me that if you aren't sure about the noise you aren't going to be sure about what you are looking for when checking the brakes. look at both pads on each rotor (4 pads) and estimate a measurement on how much pad is left on each one. fyi - the piston side of the brake caliper will wear faster than the non-piston side.
what if u got pistons on both sides like most of us do huh??... lol

noise u hear is probably normal cross-drill rotor braking noise
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
signpimp

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
Also check for debris/gunk build up around caliper pistons. It causes the pistons not to retract all the way (and they stick a bit), so you hear a bit of noise as they unevenly apply pressure to start with. Easy fix. Brake/caliper dust on the calipers is something that is commonly overlooked when doing routine maintenance/service/cleaning.
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
SeaBasss

Bike(s):
01 CBR929RR
97 Suzuki RM250

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpimp View Post
Also check for debris/gunk build up around caliper pistons. It causes the pistons not to retract all the way (and they stick a bit), so you hear a bit of noise as they unevenly apply pressure to start with. Easy fix. Brake/caliper dust on the calipers is something that is commonly overlooked when doing routine maintenance/service/cleaning.
Thank you sir. I will take a look at them.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #13
SeaBasss

Bike(s):
01 CBR929RR
97 Suzuki RM250

I just want to make sure they will work, well lets just say hypothetical if I were to go a littlebit over the speed limit they I will be able to slow her down if I see trouble ahead.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #14
SeaBasss

Bike(s):
01 CBR929RR
97 Suzuki RM250

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleassassin View Post
Well i have noticed since I got teh bike out of the garage when I have to break alot, not really to hard either I smeall what seams to be burning. I checked the pads they are not bad yet. I am thinking something else is up. I dont know. Will try to take it to 2 Wheel Toyz to let Rudy check it when I can. heh if they are still there Ive been gone for 17 months, just got back down here.
What seams to be burning! Not good have that checked out soon. You dont want to be up to speed & have somthing burning
Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #15
bob_1

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

How do the surface of the rotors look? I can check it out if you stop by

I've got lots of parts
bob_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:55 AM   #16
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBasss View Post
When I grab my front brake it makes a RRRRRRRRRZZZZZZZ type sound, as I apply more pressure the sound increases I checked the pads & they look good, what do you guys think? Any information will be appreciated. I need to get the time to take it buy Motorcycles Unlimited but I dont have the $$$$ to spare on the bike right now so it will sit in the garage (because I dont want to go down the hwy & grab front brake & nothing happen) untill I can figure out whats wrong so tell me what you guys think.
the noise is like another said probably the holes making noise, but take the calipers off and check the pads, clean them and scuff them a little before putting them back on

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
this should NOT be the case if it is then your caliper is getting stuck and needs to be removed, cleaned and put back the calipers float on some bikes and cars or in the case of bikes specifically the rotors float most of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleassassin View Post
if you haven't ridden in a while it may just be dirt or contaminants on the pads, if it keeps up pull them use brake cleaner on them scuff them ujp and put them back on, check if the wheel spins with slight drag but not so that it stops the wheel in less than 2 or 3 revolutions

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 AM   #17
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
The sound is probably normal. All vehicles with cross drilled rotors make it to some extent. Older non-radial calipered bikes seem to make more of it than radial calipered bikes. or at least, thats what I've observed. The loudest, by far, was my '02 gsxr 750 with stock pads.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #18
ibhusain
on two wheels

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha FZ6
2003 Kawasaki ZR7S (sold)

I've had some pads make the noise and some not. It's no big deal.
ibhusain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #19
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

as mentioned above, what does the rotor look like? is the wear pattern consistent? You could possible have warped rotors. . .

Advertisement