MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

Question Aren't they begging to be caught??

So I was reading another thread and a YouTube video got posted in one of the responses that got me to thinking... is it really smart to post some of this stuff on the internet??

The video was a group of riders on some moderately twisty roads - looked like a ton of fun... but here's my issue:

In the high quality video, there are at least two fairly discernable license plates shown along with some other identifying graphics, decals, etc... the video clearly shows the riders ahead of the camera disappear away from the "camera bike" while simultaneously showing the speedometer climb well into the triple digit range. Isn't that pretty indisputable proof that the riders ahead (in addition to the unknown camera man) are breaking the law on a felony level? Am I just paranoid, or along with some research into internet provider information - aren't all the pieces here for a law enforcement officer to come knock on a registered owners door and slap some cuffs on someone? Does it not work that way? I understand that the individuals cannot be positively identified due to full gear, but seems like an over-achieving DA might make someone's life with all of the circumstantial evidence provided...

Thoughts? Are there just too many REAL crimes out there to worry about us hooligans out ripping up the back roads? I heard of my dad doing this back in the day and the cops kind of getting a laugh out of it - or chasing each other around only to brag about it at the local cafe the next morning... but I thought those days were long gone.

Guess I'm just letting my mind wander way too late at night.
Please cure my ignorance.
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats up with all the child sports teams begging for money on the street? urbanXJ Off Topic 37 12-11-2013 10:48 AM
this is why we aren't liked Infinite General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 10-06-2012 10:11 PM
when backflips just aren't enough RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 04-07-2008 01:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Street Ninja
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Street Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

I know there was a case of a car driver getting busted for a 170+mph youtube vid but a lawyer would have to chime in and advise the validity of a tape like that as evidence. The court would have to prove: you were driving, you were driving illegaly, you were doing this within their jurisdiction. Lots to prove in the age of digital video manipulation.

Also, you mentioned felonious driving, better check your law book. There's no felony in what you're describing unless they're running from the police or causing an accident that results in grievous bodily harm due to the rider's negligence. Riding like a jackass at 150MPH is class B misdemeanor reckless driving.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
I know there was a case of a car driver getting busted for a 170+mph youtube vid but a lawyer would have to chime in and advise the validity of a tape like that as evidence. The court would have to prove: you were driving, you were driving illegaly, you were doing this within their jurisdiction. Lots to prove in the age of digital video manipulation.

Also, you mentioned felonious driving, better check your law book. There's no felony in what you're describing unless they're running from the police or causing an accident that results in grievous bodily harm due to the rider's negligence. Riding like a jackass at 150MPH is class B misdemeanor reckless driving.
if you remember a rider here was charged with felony evading when the cops thought he was running. they're so far behind you don't even know they're there. i went down like that once. only charged with fleeing though.
point is if you're rocking along at well over a hundred it is possible to catch a felony. making it stick is another thing, but it'll cost you thousands in attorneys fees

Last edited by craigntx; 03-29-2011 at 07:43 AM.
craigntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
Coonass
Banned

User is banned

Coonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Without additional evidence I doubt the State would bring a charge, because connecting the video to the rider would be a pain in the and even then the video would have low weight as evidence before the jury. Now if they had a resident that witnessed the riders and also the video they might have something, but it still wouldn't be as good as having a cop testify.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I would just claim the speedo was way off due to gearing
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
Soclose
Green and Mean

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'05 Suzuki GS500F(sold)
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 650r (sold)
'06 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary

Quote:
Riding like a jackass at 150MPH is class B misdemeanor reckless driving.
but wouldn't they get charged with road rage for doubling or tripling the speed limit also? and iirc road rage is like jail time; i'm not 100% sure
Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soclose View Post
but wouldn't they get charged with road rage for doubling or tripling the speed limit also? and iirc road rage is like jail time; i'm not 100% sure
I think you mean roid rage
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
I would just claim the speedo was way off due to gearing
I would just claim I had it set for kmh so that I would look badass
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soclose View Post
I don't believe there is a "road rage" charge. You could be charged with any number of other crimes that were caused by "road rage" but that itself isn't a crime.

Also, there is no speed threshold for reckless driving. You could be going 300 MPH over the limit or 10 MPH under it - reckless driving is a subjective charge that's based on the officer's judgement of your riding and is still a misdemeanor.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

Quote:
I don't believe there is a "road rage" charge. You could be charged with any number of other crimes that were caused by "road rage" but that itself isn't a crime.

Also, there is no speed threshold for reckless driving. You could be going 300 MPH over the limit or 10 MPH under it - reckless driving is a subjective charge that's based on the officer's judgement of your riding and is still a misdemeanor.
yeah a wheelie got me a wreckless driving certificate
Old 03-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #13
KSims1868

Bike(s):
Harley Davidson FXDWG

How can they prove that the person that took the video is the actual owner of the bike. That is impossible and leaves a HUGE gaping hole of "reasonable doubt". Very unlikely the state would bring charges with such a weak case like that.
KSims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #14
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

Yeah... I figured it was a stretch, but with the way I've seen some government officials and LEOs get a hair up their about some things, it would at least be in the back of my mind before I advertised it to the universe.

I know there are plenty of LEOs who are active members here and on other local forums plus untold others who I'm sure lurk on a regular basis. I would think if you happened to pass one up reved out in 5th or 6th gear, and all he'd have to do is google the date for that sunday... he might be inclined to stop by your house to make a point.

Plus I've talked to my local cops who pay very close attention to who comes through their neighborhood. If you have an easily identified paint scheme (like me) or wear a neon green mohawk on your lid or something like that - they look for you and look forward to the chance to give you . You'll get that ticket for 22 in a school zone for sure. And maybe a complimentary body cavity search?

I knew all the legal loopholes were there... Like I said - was just babbling late at night.

But hey... they sure are cool for me to watch - so by all means... keep it up!
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigntx View Post
yeah a wheelie got me a wreckless driving certificate
did you go to jail? I went for mine and I was just speeding.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
did you go to jail? I went for mine and I was just speeding.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #17
sandbarmark
ARRRRRGHHHHH6

Location: Somewhere in Canada. I would tell you where in Canada but it isn't like you Yanks can use maps.

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven
2003 Buell XB9S Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I can't change mine to MPH. Stuck on KPH. Makes for some interesting faces when you say you've done 250+ on a R6.
sandbarmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #18
Soclose
Green and Mean

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'05 Suzuki GS500F(sold)
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 650r (sold)
'06 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post

Quote:

actually there is road rage charges..

my buddy was coming home from UT cause his dad was in the hospital for something bad and he did 65 in a 30 without realizing it and got a speeding, wreckless driving, and road rage ticket a few months ago
Old 03-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #19
clintalmighty

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (Sold)
2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarmark View Post
I can't change mine to MPH. Stuck on KPH. Makes for some interesting faces when you say you've done 250+ on a R6.
why is yours stuck in KPH?
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #20
sandbarmark
ARRRRRGHHHHH6

Location: Somewhere in Canada. I would tell you where in Canada but it isn't like you Yanks can use maps.

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven
2003 Buell XB9S Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintalmighty View Post
why is yours stuck in KPH?
I'm Canadian and it is a Canadian bike. The gauges they put on the Canadian-sold R6 models don't have the ability to switch over to MPH, even though it is in the owner's manual.

Yamaha.
sandbarmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement