MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #61
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

I've never mixed tires but, I've know of people that have done it with good results.

Per instance, I know of a guy that says the fastest he has ever gone was with a Pirelli Front and a Dunlop UK rear, both race tires. I won't say his name but he is pretty fast.

Another example is a guy doing mid to low 40's at MSRH on a Medium 209 GPA front with a medium Power one DOT. He seems to go at it with no issues.

that being said - why is mixing tires a bad idea? What is the science behing that statement?
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track tires (street tires exempt) Slovy Taking it to the Track 30 03-11-2013 03:37 PM
Track Tires Question chum600 Taking it to the Track 35 03-08-2010 09:38 AM
Track day tires question crzy88 Motorcycles Unlimited 12 07-14-2009 10:47 PM
Cold Track, Green Track, Tire Warmers and Cold Tires... cdill35 Taking it to the Track 40 11-24-2008 11:48 PM
WEIRD technical question about tires. Chris24 Off Topic 14 07-16-2006 12:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #62
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
I've never mixed tires but, I've know of people that have done it with good results.

Per instance, I know of a guy that says the fastest he has ever gone was with a Pirelli Front and a Dunlop UK rear, both race tires. I won't say his name but he is pretty fast.

Another example is a guy doing mid to low 40's at MSRH on a Medium 209 GPA front with a medium Power one DOT. He seems to go at it with no issues.

that being said - why is mixing tires a bad idea? What is the science behing that statement?
Isn't it an issue of profiles and grip levels? Where if the two are different it can produce unexpected reactions at speed between the front and the rear?

I'm guessing that it's a general good rule of thumb. The problem with every one of those rules there will be people who post up exceptions to disprove it. It's like posting up pics of Doohan when talking about BP. What is effective for the very few may not translate well to the general population of trackday enthusiasts. Skill and experience play a large roll in allowing riders to make the decision to mix and match equipment to best suit them and the track they visit.

This is just my common sense opinion on the subject though. I'm by no means an expert.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #63
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

Race tires on the track are always better then street tires at any level. Street tires are better on the street.
Slicks are better then race DOTs. Last longer, less squirm, less tearing, more grip, provide more confidence. And confidence makes you faster.
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #64
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whoopie View Post
Race tires on the track are always better then street tires at any level. Street tires are better on the street.
Slicks are better then race DOTs. Last longer, less squirm, less tearing, more grip, provide more confidence. And confidence makes you faster.
It is wrong that I went with slicks for poser points?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #65
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
Isn't it an issue of profiles and grip levels? Where if the two are different it can produce unexpected reactions at speed between the front and the rear?
Couldn't the different profiles of the tires be solved by adjusting the geometry and suspension settings?
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #66
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Couldn't the different profiles of the tires be solved by adjusting the geometry and suspension settings?
Good question. I don't know the answer. I can only say that if we have to ask we probably shouldn't be doing it.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #67
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:

Not necessarily as you're talking about profile over all of the possible lean angles.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #68
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):

Quote:
not sure exactly what you mean by that..

the tire is circular along one axis and it has a static profile in the other axis. changing the suspension will affect the ride regardless of the tire and vice versa... if you went with a completely different size tire then that would change your geometry. but then again so would different air pressure
Old 03-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #69
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
not sure exactly what you mean by that..

the tire is circular along one axis and it has a static profile in the other axis. changing the suspension will affect the ride regardless of the tire and vice versa... if you went with a completely different size tire then that would change your geometry. but then again so would different air pressure
different tire brands have different profiles

if you change tire brands and want the best results its best to have ur suspension set-up for those tires. But thats something a trackday junkie or racer would do, but for your average joe out crusing the streets it wont really matter nor would he really notice a difference.
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:13 AM   #70
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Sure some people will get away with mixing. But in reference to the op wanting to mix a sport touring tire front with a track aimed rear. Do we really think that is a recommended match ?

I don't.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:34 AM   #71
castrolr1
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bike(s):
R1 followed me home

probably something a street paced rider wouldn't notice.
Pushing it on a track, I think different profiles will show why they shouldn't be mixed
castrolr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #72
Stang Man
being rude

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)
1983 Honda Nighthawk(sold)

Member Garage

I can see mixing tires to tune the grip at each end. If you've got tons of grip up front, but find the rear stepping out, you can either:

1- adjust your riding style/line around the track
2- ride the way you always do, but add traction to one end of the bike by dropping tire pressures or experimenting with different compounds.

I don't see it as "unsafe", one tire will not affect the integrity of another tire, but you will likely need to adjust your riding style to compensate for differences between the two tires. I wouldn't hop onto a new combination without getting a feel for it, first!

I'm no track junkie on a bike, but have had my fair share of road racing in a car. Tire science is the same, but profiles have a bigger effect on a bike than they do a car.
Family bikes: V-Star 1100, Harley 883, KLR-650
Stang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #73
andygill17

Bike(s):
'99 sv 650 bobber race bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummer View Post
For what its worth, 1:12 was my best Saturday on the pilot rd 2's, 1:15 was consistent. I know I need LOTS of work but if fast guys can make it around that track in a minute and some even faster. I'm gonna 12 seconds is a ridiculous gap lol.
those tires should be fine at that pace. I was running 1:10's on my stock drz-400s with 90/90-21 and 120/90-18 metzeler lazertecs. street tires now days are pretty good. unless you just have some $ to burn, stick with what you've got.
andygill17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement