MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
imurdanny

Feedback Rating: (1)

Question Brake pad recommendation/ Issue

Make: Suzuki
Model: Gsxr 600
Year: 2005

When i'm riding going 40+ then put it in neutral, i feel like the brakes initiating even though i'm not braking. Like the brakes are touching the disk or something. I hear screeching from front and back also. Anyone know what the problem could be?

I also need new brake pads but not sure what brand to go for. Any recommendation?
imurdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brake pad change ecclissiass How To's and Q & A's 7 05-28-2013 06:25 PM
Rotor machining and brake pad replacement flip326 Off Topic 30 07-19-2012 05:15 PM
Best Brake Pad aznconquerer General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 06-11-2012 03:42 PM
Brake pad help whzwaldo3 General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 10-07-2008 05:13 AM
Brake pad report bumblebee Motorcycles Unlimited 0 06-23-2007 11:04 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Could be air in the lines. The air in the lines can expand from heat and causea small amount of brake actuation. It CAN progress to complete wheel lock, so it should be looked at.
Brakes should be bled, cleaned and new fluid added. As always I recommend having someone that knows what they are doing work on your brakes. Minor things done incorrectly can have serious results.
As far as brands go that depends somewhat on how you ride. If you are riding on the track and blindingly fast then stepping up to serious race pads may be worth the money, if you just want to improve braking performance then, EBC HH pads are decent. There are others similar.
If you are happy with the brakes you have then stock brakes from the Suzuki shop are just fine too. Trust me they are plenty good for 99% of street riding needs.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
imurdanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Could be air in the lines. The air in the lines can expand from heat and causea small amount of brake actuation. It CAN progress to complete wheel lock, so it should be looked at.
Brakes should be bled, cleaned and new fluid added. As always I recommend having someone that knows what they are doing work on your brakes. Minor things done incorrectly can have serious results.
As far as brands go that depends somewhat on how you ride. If you are riding on the track and blindingly fast then stepping up to serious race pads may be worth the money, if you just want to improve braking performance then, EBC HH pads are decent. There are others similar.
If you are happy with the brakes you have then stock brakes from the Suzuki shop are just fine too. Trust me they are plenty good for 99% of street riding needs.
thanks a lot. I'm actually at PnP cycle as im speaking now. They are checking it out for me. Where can i buy those brake pads for a good price?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
maxgs

Member Garage

Has the bike been down with either brake lever being bent? Or do you have aftermarket levers on the front? If so, it's quite likely that the brake lever is not allowing the piston in the master cylinder to return all the way out when you release the brake lever.

This is a known issue for knock off brake levers as well as brake levers that have been bent. This is a much more likely cause rather than air in the lines. Air in the lines will typically cause a mushy lever, the opposite of your problem.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Has the bike been down with either brake lever being bent? Or do you have aftermarket levers on the front? If so, it's quite likely that the brake lever is not allowing the piston in the master cylinder to return all the way out when you release the brake lever.

This is a known issue for knock off brake levers as well as brake levers that have been bent. This is a much more likely cause rather than air in the lines. Air in the lines will typically cause a mushy lever, the opposite of your problem.
absolutely
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
xhangyx

Feedback Rating: (18)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 repsol
06 r6 *track*
08 cbr1000rr Repsol fairings
07 crf70
02 crf450

Check the pistons on the calipers....if they get a lot of dirt on them and are not cleaned, they can hesitate to move in and out. In addition to what everyone else suggested.

Vesrah RJL are great pads with a good bite, and they last quite a while too. Hit up a sponsor on here for a quote.
xhangyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:

Exactly. I had the same problem a while ago and tried everything except swapping calipers. Bled the brakes probably 20 times, changed the master cylinder, lines, etc. . . I threw another lever on it and the problem went away. Having your front brake lock up SUCKS, trust me.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
imurdanny

Quote:

The bike was laid down by previous owner at 5mph or so he says. My friend also dropped it when she came to a stop. Good thing i had frame sliders. I don't have aftermarket levers either(maybe i should go buy some new ones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhangyx View Post
Check the pistons on the calipers....if they get a lot of dirt on them and are not cleaned, they can hesitate to move in and out. In addition to what everyone else suggested.

Vesrah RJL are great pads with a good bite, and they last quite a while too. Hit up a sponsor on here for a quote.
i use this brake cleaner spray to clean it but the problem is still there. I'll hit up a sponsor to c if i could get a good deal on pads.thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
Exactly. I had the same problem a while ago and tried everything except swapping calipers. Bled the brakes probably 20 times, changed the master cylinder, lines, etc. . . I threw another lever on it and the problem went away. Having your front brake lock up SUCKS, trust me.
yea, i bled my brakes earlier and it was just fine until half way home. So i'm guessing i should buy a new set of levers
Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
yeraboof
( . v . )

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'06 GSX-R 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by imurdanny View Post
i use this brake cleaner spray to clean it but the problem is still there. I'll hit up a sponsor to c if i could get a good deal on pads.thanks
You're going to have to do more than just spray it. To really clean the pistons, you should prolly take the calipers off and clean the pistons with a toothbrush or something. If they're really dirty, it can be time consuming, but it makes a big difference.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
What part of town are you in? I have a lever from the same exact bike you own I could steal real quick. . . . but I don't have the time to drive all the way to Conroe or anything either.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #11
imurdanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeraboof View Post
You're going to have to do more than just spray it. To really clean the pistons, you should prolly take the calipers off and clean the pistons with a toothbrush or something. If they're really dirty, it can be time consuming, but it makes a big difference.
mmkay, i'll try that. Going back to pnp cycle tomorrow to have them checkout the issue since they were a bit busy today. I ended up going to a buddies house to bleed the brakes but for sure, i will have them check out the problem for me tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
What part of town are you in? I have a lever from the same exact bike you own I could steal real quick. . . . but I don't have the time to drive all the way to Conroe or anything either.
i live in sw houston. Are you offering me a free lever?

Last edited by imurdanny; 03-22-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #12
camaroz2866

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

you should bring it by Motorcycles Unlimited and we will get you fixed up and not just throw stuff at it guessing. you could end up with a completely new brake system before you fix the problem that way...., it could be a number of things, one being the rotors warped, ect. call the shop tomorrow and talk to the boss and im sure we could squeeze you in sometime.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #13
imurdanny

i just want to say that pnp cycle did a great job at fixing my problem.. THANKS fellas

Advertisement