MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #21
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Hope he lives to learn... spring is here. Three rider down threads, two down on the Noob paced ride

Is it time to do another dedicated noob ride, for cornering virgins???
Ya know, you be right. One that starts out with a 20-30 minute riders meeting that targets the Noobs
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cop rear ends rider, then BLAMES the rider CTtriple General Discussion (Moto Related) 76 11-06-2013 10:09 AM
Rider hit by other rider - Video Inside Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 07-31-2012 03:42 PM
Rider and co-rider down 290E & Barker Cypress jimrad General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-17-2011 12:17 AM
Rider down 242 and 45 Phiber General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 06-04-2010 08:49 AM
rider down on 242 on the north side (conroe) Jerzey General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 11-19-2009 06:54 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #22
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
Ya know, you be right. One that starts out with a 20-30 minute riders meeting that targets the Noobs
No, I am referring to one we did a couple years ago with the same number noobs as experienced helpers, and started with the basics and worked up to a brisker pace.

Noobs only; no fast group

Think crawl - walk - jog and run later.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"

Last edited by texlurch; 03-20-2011 at 10:26 AM.
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #23
OldGringo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Old School good karma sent Justin's way.
OldGringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #24
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
No, I am referring to one we did a couple years ago with the same number noobs as experienced helpers, and started with the basics and worked up to a brisker pace.

Noobs only; no fast group

Think crawl - walk - jog and run later.
Without a doubt, something like this is needed. I get tired of seeing so many "rider down" threads. Many of which could have been prevented. Do something like this on the West side and count me in.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #25
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

I've put the offer out there a couple times in the past to help any noobs that are interested.. one on one relaxed no groups no pressure.

Maybe we could start a sticky thread and have us older folks offer up to take a noob or two under the wing and at least show them the very basics.

Call it "self-preservation" of the sport.

It's surprised me more than a few times how some riders of 5-10 years still don't understand countersteering....

Yeah, yeah I know... Trackdays... Advanced MSF.. rider school...

Sometimes it's easier for people to go ride with a friend and swap pointers....
Old 03-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #26
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Amazing to me you can purchase, insure, and drive away on a motorcycle with no training and no license. How is this still possible? If we as m/c groups had the cojones for it, we would start petitioning lawmakers to change this. It would really be impressive and might save some of our friends' lives!

Personally, I would support the requirement of the intermediate course as well, within the first year of getting a license, but at least, requiring a license to buy a bike.

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #27
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:

Maybe we could start a sticky thread and have us older folks offer up to take a noob or two under the wing and at least show them the very basics.

This is something I do from time to time. It's usually a co-worker that has just gotten themselves a bike and/or a co-workers son or daughter that has just gotten one. One thing I tend to stress is practicing emergency braking and steering. I've been riding for 30 years now and I still practice these two things twice a month. That way when the unexpected happens, it's a natural action instead of an unnatural reaction.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #28
yeraboof
( . v . )

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'06 GSX-R 600

n/m
Old 03-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #29
Blackjack
7Fiddy Ryda

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 750

Speedy recovery
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #30
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 600

Member Garage

Quote:
I've put the offer out there a couple times in the past to help any noobs that are interested.. one on one relaxed no groups no pressure.

Call it "self-preservation" of the sport.

It's surprised me more than a few times how some riders of 5-10 years still don't understand countersteering....
Yeah, yeah I know... Trackdays... Advanced MSF.. rider school...

Sometimes it's easier for people to go ride with a friend and swap pointers....
this is how i learned about countersteering....when someone i was riding with told me about it, it didnt make sense then i tried it and was like DANG....
Old 03-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #31
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxerbandit94 View Post
My brother works with this guy and i went to school with him, he is expected to live. Prayers sent
excellent, hope he heals quickly

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #32
BaptizedByFire
Future Organ Donor

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
'03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrogenic View Post
Amazing to me you can purchase, insure, and drive away on a motorcycle with no training and no license. How is this still possible? If we as m/c groups had the cojones for it, we would start petitioning lawmakers to change this. It would really be impressive and might save some of our friends' lives!

Personally, I would support the requirement of the intermediate course as well, within the first year of getting a license, but at least, requiring a license to buy a bike.
The law can only protect us so much, but for the most part just gets in the way and annoys the outta some of us (me for one). Being riders thrusts us all into the realm of natural selection. Murphys laws and darwinism apply to us more than any other human being since the advent of civilization, and sometimes we go down just because of pure bad
luck.

You've gotta know in the pit of your soul that you're literally putting your life on the line every time you get on the bike, no matter if it's your first ride or you've been doing it for thirty years. the guys and gals that last that long know that. I attribute my zero-crash record to nothing but luck- skill and situational awareness help, but its probably only about 10% of the battle.

I also acknowledge the fact that despite my best efforts I WILL fall one day, and no matter how bad it is I pray im able to fully recover and get back on the bike.

I pray the same for this kid. Get well soon buddy.

BTW, there's apparently a right way and a wrong way to crash a bike and I think everyone ought to at least read up on it just in case. Lemme see if I can find the thread.

Last edited by BaptizedByFire; 03-20-2011 at 08:14 PM.
BaptizedByFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #33
TeleRomeo
Wide Freaking Open!

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 ZX-6R Track
Cr125 Braaap

Can't be Babymilo. It's too far for him to ride... :P lol
TeleRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #34
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Waiting for him to post..... i dont think so ether... LOL
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #35
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:

Why should one not be allowed to purchase whateverthefuck he wants without having to get approval from the government?

Besides, no law will change stupidity my friend. If someone was going to ride one without having a clue how, he's going to do it regardless of the law.

I mean, seriously, what restrictions would you put on everyone which would be guaranteed to keep one moron from doing something stupid?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #36
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptizedByFire View Post
The law can only protect us so much, but for the most part just gets in the way and annoys the outta some of us (me for one). Being riders thrusts us all into the realm of natural selection. Murphys laws and darwinism apply to us more than any other human being since the advent of civilization, and sometimes we go down just because of pure bad luck.
Bunch of Hooie. (natural selection, really?)

It's illogical that a safer ride in a cage requires it, but a very dangerous ride on a motorcycle (that requires all the other requirements for motorized vehicles) doesn't require even the most basic training. It's stupidity, especially since the younger crowd is hyper-interested in the most dangerous riding of all.

I am not interested in being afraid of 'big bad gub'mint'. I am interested though in at least some modicum of intelligence being applied to what the dangers are and how to handle a motorcycle before allowing people to go out and cause wrecks that endanger themselves and others, and cause all our insurance rates to go up.

Since you brought up the point about the potential for anyone to fall, not just noobs, I'll bite - of course it's possible. But surely the potential would be lessened a bit by at least some kind of talent assessment? This is not "The Game of Life", it is real life. There is no reason we should not have the HIGHEST skill levels on the road, not the lowest.

In fact, all driving licenses should be much harder to get, and require continual-improvement courses. There are too many lives lost to poor skill.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #37
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Why should one not be allowed to purchase whateverthefuck he wants without having to get approval from the government?

Besides, no law will change stupidity my friend. If someone was going to ride one without having a clue how, he's going to do it regardless of the law.

I mean, seriously, what restrictions would you put on everyone which would be guaranteed to keep one moron from doing something stupid?
No, you can't always fix stupid, but at least you could get to the point of teaching the basics (even though we might lose all those funny NOOB-Fall videos on YouTube.)

Texas requires the basic MSF course now to get a license. That's a good thing because if you can't pass, you won't get a license. An idiot will still ride without a license, or borrow someone else's bike, but he will get arrested, which is a good thing for idiots. At least it's ONE thing that could be done to help.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #38
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

It'll never happen.. we are a nation of spoiled cry babys. Not only better driver training, but better information about stupid we all do like talk on cell phones while driving, surf the web, put on makeup etc.

Even basic rules of the road like only using the left lane for passing, not cruising while you smoke and text.. it IS a state law and not enforced...

But I do agree that you shouldn't be able to purchase a bike without a valid M stamp. At least the bare minimum of training would be required anyhow.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #39
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
No, you can't always fix stupid, but at least you could get to the point of teaching the basics (even though we might lose all those funny NOOB-Fall videos on YouTube.)

Texas requires the basic MSF course now to get a license. That's a good thing because if you can't pass, you won't get a license. An idiot will still ride without a license, or borrow someone else's bike, but he will get arrested, which is a good thing for idiots. At least it's ONE thing that could be done to help.
So let me get this straight - its ALREADY required by law and you want another law?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #40
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Bunch of Hooie. (natural selection, really?)

It's illogical that a safer ride in a cage requires it,
Hate to break it to you but no, neither a license nor insurance are required to BUY a car.

Advertisement