MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #41
Grinchy
Senior Member
 
Grinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 15,535

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila









Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
Man, i feel so bad after giving Grinchy such a hard time regarding Rossi. We get toghether to watch the race and what do you know, my good friend grinchy gave me this

CaseySig

[/IMG]
I thought it was funny when James put it up on the wall for everybody to see...































then reached for his darts
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MOTOGP: Qatar MotoGP: 800cc top speed beats 990 best Grinchy Taking it to the Track 5 04-18-2009 08:36 PM
MotoGP Qatar Results SPOILERS!!!! ArturoC Taking it to the Track 31 03-12-2007 02:10 PM
MotoGP: Qatar '07 Bikes on Track! (potential spoilers) ArturoC Taking it to the Track 2 03-08-2007 08:20 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #42
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail
 
alrova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NW-Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 3,861

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R









Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
right but all as a result of the challenge into turn 1
DOOD, i called it before the race

Stoner
Jlo
Pedro

And said rossi 6, or 8 can't remember, James won cause he said 7. I am sorry if you felt the Texan love when spies passed rossi, that was a loud crowd.

Keep blaming Stoner for the development of the DUC, after all the facts I still can't believe you guys don't get that the problem is in fact DUCATI, managers and italian pride that don't allow the duc to progress. Stoner complained and explained the front end problems and they didn't believe him, dingo goes and wins or bins that bike. Now Rossi is here and they still don't listen, wait a few more races and they will start to listen but just cause he is Valentino but the change was requested by Dingo a long time ago. Just my final two pesos, Nor stoner nor rossi are engineers, they just point things, changes, performance, engineers put that into development and deliver a product. Keep blaming Dingo and will keep tell you IN YA FACE racking up win over win in the honda or any other bike they put him on. even the susuki will be fast in dingos hand.

BTW, JB, for those who don't know, he is the brains behind valentino stated, the honda is not rocket science, the rider is the one that is making the difference
__________________
--Alberto--
New weapon - "Green Hornet Kato Style powered by Stoner's blood drop stolen by Melandri injected by Lascorz"
alrova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #43
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail
 
alrova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NW-Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 3,861

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R









Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
I thought it was funny when James put it up on the wall for everybody to see...


then reached for his darts
i would have kicked his
__________________
--Alberto--
New weapon - "Green Hornet Kato Style powered by Stoner's blood drop stolen by Melandri injected by Lascorz"
alrova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #44
Grinchy
Senior Member
 
Grinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 15,535

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila









Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumper View Post
Agreed, set up buy the attempted out braking maneuvers... Makes you wonder if those attempts weren't "feigned"...
I guess we'll never know however the harder Ben tried the later Rossi was having to go eventually causing him to miss that apex and consequently be a little offline and a little late on the gas. The ways these guys think it was probably set up from about 8 corners back.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #45
Grinchy
Senior Member
 
Grinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 15,535

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila









Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
DOOD, i called it before the race

Stoner
Jlo
Pedro

And said rossi 6, or 8 can't remember, James won cause he said 7. I am sorry if you felt the Texan love when spies passed rossi, that was a loud crowd.

Keep blaming Stoner for the development of the DUC, after all the facts I still can't believe you guys don't get that the problem is in fact DUCATI, managers and italian pride that don't allow the duc to progress. Stoner complained and explained the front end problems and they didn't believe him, dingo goes and wins or bins that bike. Now Rossi is here and they still don't listen, wait a few more races and they will start to listen but just cause he is Valentino but the change was requested by Dingo a long time ago. Just my final two pesos, Nor stoner nor rossi are engineers, they just point things, changes, performance, engineers put that into development and deliver a product. Keep blaming Dingo and will keep tell you IN YA FACE racking up win over win in the honda or any other bike they put him on. even the susuki will be fast in dingos hand.

BTW, JB, for those who don't know, he is the brains behind valentino stated, the honda is not rocket science, the rider is the one that is making the difference

what a bunch of
they built the Duc around that , no one else.
No question he can ride a bike fast but developing a racer friendly championship winning machine like the M1 or the V5 honda, forget it..

lets see what happens when he tips off it
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #46
Chubby Racer
The Confusion
 
Chubby Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: between a chair and a screen
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 19,403

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)








Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post

what a bunch of
they built the Duc around that , no one else.
No question he can ride a bike fast but developing a racer friendly championship winning machine like the M1 or the V5 honda, forget it..

lets see what happens when he tips off it
I'm starting to agree with Grinchy. The M1 and RC212V are both polished bikes at this point, and consequentially Stoner would be fast on either. Ducati still seems to have a wild bronco on their hands, and Stoner just wasn't the right type of rider to fix it. A healthy Rossi on the other hand......well, we'll just have to wait and see.
__________________
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #47
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo
 
tomLSTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 6,798

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1






Member Garage





IMHO, the GOAT shouldn't be racing right now. I can't see how continuing to aggravate his shoulder is going to help things. He could/ should lay off for the first 3 races and concentrate on bike development this season, then come back next year for a real challenge. But heck, I'm just the idiot on the keyboard and those guys get bazillions of $$ to make those types of decisions.

There is no question in my mind that Stoner has the ability to completely run away with the championship this year; it is his to lose. One thing though 'Berto, he has ALWAYS been a win it or bin it racer. The Katoom he rode in 250's was underdeveloped/ new and he was either brilliant or bullshit. I totally admire the dude's tenacity and ability, but as mentioned previously he's NOT a development rider. Rossi is, CEII is, Hayden is (but I'm positive they're not listening to him), Capirossi was, etc. The thing about Rossi is that he and JB are fu<king brilliant together. Any winning rider has a fantastic support system/ team behind them and Rossi is no different. Rossi simply has an uncanny ability to ride the bike and translate the needs for change well.

Spies has always been a consistent rider, and it was proven again yesterday. The Yammi is down on power, the Honder is up, and Spies had some bad luck at the start. He's never been all that consistent with his starts since hitting the world stage- think back to WSBK

Spies WILL be on the podium a lot this season, and will stand on top of the box, believe that.

Pederosa showed me something I didn't think he had yesterday. I hope it was him and not simply a power advantage. Mr Roboto has no nards unless he's way out front by my observations and usually drifts WAAAY back when he's overtaken late in the races. Yesterday he fought back and regained what he lost against a truly talented racer, gotta give props for that

My prediction for the end of the season is:

Stoner
Lorentho
Spies
Pederosa
Dovi
Side Show Bob
Rossi
CEII
... the rest are a shoot. I hope Nicky is able to get some good parts/ support and put his foot in that group too, but I think Ducati has strapped a saddle upon the poor boy
__________________
I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #48
brisingr23
This place has the Gheyz!
 
brisingr23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,650

Experience: 2 years
Now this is the kind of talk that should be going on more regularly on MH.
brisingr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #49
Bagwell
Senior Member
 
Bagwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston Spring Branch
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 886


Bike(s):
Various Equipment for various uses.
Dirt, Street, Track, Dual Sport, I like em all.








Tom, I agree with alot of that. I was impressed at PedoBot hanging with Stoner for a while, but I think him not being able to handle the clutch due to arm strength and pain later in the race was more than just an excuse for him. It has the makings of a good season as long as no one lets Stoner run too far ahead. Spies on the podium is inevitable. Simoncellis tactics leave a little to be desired sometimes in my opinion.
__________________
Vaughn

#104 I Just Wanna Ride TMGP Endurance Team
Bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #50
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar
 
SBK Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 5,570

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...






lol... i kinda feel bad for mister roboto...

during the interview when he was talkin about the pain - i swear he was lookin like this:

PV6OV
SBK Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #51
Grinchy
Senior Member
 
Grinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 15,535

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila









Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
i would have kicked his


Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
IMHO, the GOAT shouldn't be racing right now. I can't see how continuing to aggravate his shoulder is going to help things. He could/ should lay off for the first 3 races and concentrate on bike development this season, then come back next year for a real challenge. But heck, I'm just the idiot on the keyboard and those guys get bazillions of $$ to make those types of decisions.

There is no question in my mind that Stoner has the ability to completely run away with the championship this year; it is his to lose. One thing though 'Berto, he has ALWAYS been a win it or bin it racer. The Katoom he rode in 250's was underdeveloped/ new and he was either brilliant or bullshit. I totally admire the dude's tenacity and ability, but as mentioned previously he's NOT a development rider. Rossi is, CEII is, Hayden is (but I'm positive they're not listening to him), Capirossi was, etc. The thing about Rossi is that he and JB are fu<king brilliant together. Any winning rider has a fantastic support system/ team behind them and Rossi is no different. Rossi simply has an uncanny ability to ride the bike and translate the needs for change well.

Spies has always been a consistent rider, and it was proven again yesterday. The Yammi is down on power, the Honder is up, and Spies had some bad luck at the start. He's never been all that consistent with his starts since hitting the world stage- think back to WSBK

Spies WILL be on the podium a lot this season, and will stand on top of the box, believe that.

Pederosa showed me something I didn't think he had yesterday. I hope it was him and not simply a power advantage. Mr Roboto has no nards unless he's way out front by my observations and usually drifts WAAAY back when he's overtaken late in the races. Yesterday he fought back and regained what he lost against a truly talented racer, gotta give props for that

My prediction for the end of the season is:

Stoner
Lorentho
Spies
Pederosa
Dovi
Side Show Bob
Rossi
CEII
... the rest are a shoot. I hope Nicky is able to get some good parts/ support and put his foot in that group too, but I think Ducati has strapped a saddle upon the poor boy
I'm backing Jlo for the top spot, Stoner second and Ben in third too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagwell View Post
Tom, I agree with alot of that. I was impressed at PedoBot hanging with Stoner for a while, but I think him not being able to handle the clutch due to arm strength and pain later in the race was more than just an excuse for him. It has the makings of a good season as long as no one lets Stoner run too far ahead. Spies on the podium is inevitable. Simoncellis tactics leave a little to be desired sometimes in my opinion.
He has tactics?????
you can guarantee the first time he gets a sniff of the top step there will be fireworks and no prisoners taken

I think Pedrosa's colour said alot about his condition.
Anybody else notice how grey he looked afterwards??
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #52
Grinchy
Senior Member
 
Grinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 15,535

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila









and this here is what seperates the two, ie Rossi V Stoner



2myb6nb

one can lose the front catch it on his knee and finish 7th, the other rides a Honda
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #53
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail
 
alrova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NW-Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 3,861

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R









Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
and this here is what seperates the two, ie Rossi V Stoner



2myb6nb

one can lose the front catch it on his knee and finish 7th, the other rides a Honda
The only reason why he was able to catch with his kneee is because he is a slow , runing around at 40 MPH allows you to do that . Dingos missile speeds don't have room for errors, if he looses the front there is no way he can save that, remeber, win it or bin it, fast always no slow. This year he will prove you guys wrong though, he doesn't need to be going off in the Honda to keep the heat in the front so we will see him show you how is done. BTW, i heard rossi bought all the dingo on board camera to see if he can ride like him lol.

In a serious note, Jerez will be a good measuring tape between Jlo and Dingo. If dingo manages to take that win, say good bye to Jorge, Jerez is not a great track for dingo or ducati so we will see if it suits the honda powered by Dingo.
__________________
--Alberto--
New weapon - "Green Hornet Kato Style powered by Stoner's blood drop stolen by Melandri injected by Lascorz"
alrova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #54
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail
 
alrova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NW-Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 3,861

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R









Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post

what a bunch of
they built the Duc around that , no one else.
No question he can ride a bike fast but developing a racer friendly championship winning machine like the M1 or the V5 honda, forget it..

lets see what happens when he tips off it
HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF WAYNE GARDNER

If you have, then you should read this, take from it whatever you want

GET USED TO IT
Casey Stonerís win in Sundayís Qatar MotoGP was the most calculated and intelligent ride Iíve ever seen him put in. He never overstepped the mark, never even looked like getting out of shape, and simply stalked Dani Pedrosa until the time was right to make a clean break and disappear. He is, without doubt and by far, the fastest rider out there. Now that heís also riding the best bike on the grid, we can expect many similar performances over the coming season. Pedrosa yet again did what Pedrosa does best: starts brilliantly, sets some amazingly fast laps, and then fades badly towards the end when the tyres start to wear. I know that Dani suffered from some pretty severe arm problems towards the end of the race, but I canít help thinking this only added to the problems he already faces due to his complete lack of dirt track experience. On the larger bikes heís always had issues when it comes to dealing with worn tyres during the closing laps, and itís something heíll never learn to overcome. Itís a technical shortcoming that needed to have been addressed in his early teens. Iíve spoken with him about it in the past and he agrees that itís definitely a limiting factor. Stoner, on the other hand, thrives at these points in races and is able to step up his performance to another level when the rubber starts to wear. Thanks to his formative background, he instinctively knows how to modify his style and his lines without sacrificing lap times as the tyre degrades. Try as he might, Dani (and everyone else for that matter) will have to get used to the sight of Stoner disappearing into the distance this year.

MEANWHILE, OVER AT YAMAHAÖÖ..
Yamaha have a bit of work to do. Their lack of drive off the corners and top speed deficit was plain for all to see. Itís clear theyíve directed all their development into chassis design, and to that end their efforts appear to have paid off. But the package is far from complete. Jorge Lorenzo had to take major risks to get anywhere near the flying Hondas, and the fact he was able to second speaks volumes for his ability and determination. On the other hand, I was a little surprised at Spiesí performance. He really should have been a lot further towards the front end. After such a strong showing in pre-season testing, it was a little disappointing. He really struggled to get past a sub-par Rossi on a Ducati that looks like itís about to fall over at any moment. He will definitely improve, but those believing in his imminent elevation to serious championship challenger will have to wait a little longer yet. He still has another step or two to make.


REGRETS, HEíLL HAVE A FEW
Did you see Valentino nearly fall off while trying to fend off Spies? Yet again, it was another clear indication of the Ducatiís fundamental chassis design problems. Despite all their off-season efforts, the team have fixed precisely nothing. During the race the bike was also unstable on the entry into the corners, which seems to indicate an additional suspension issue. Then when he got in too hot on the corner in question he tried to adjust his body position to compensate Ė a move that then caused the front to fall over on him. He was lucky to catch it and hang on. You can see that Vale is very, very scared of the front on that bike. It still offers no feedback or information. It must be extremely unsettling. Amazingly, Rossi just canít seem to adapt his style to the required degree to make the bike manageable. Yes, his shoulder is still apparently causing some problems, but considering heís had to repeatedly and successfully modify his approach to learn 125, 250s, 500s, 990s and 800s, Iím very surprised he canít go faster. More than ever, it just shows the genius of Stoner, who was somehow able to overcome the Ducatiís major flaws and win races. Anyone who reckons he only won his world title because of Ducatiís superior top speed Ė and there seems to be a lot of them - is a fool. As for Rossiís seventh place finish, it was pretty much where I expected him to end up. As Iíve said before, Ducati are 12-months off the pace and not much will change in the next six or so months.
__________________
--Alberto--
New weapon - "Green Hornet Kato Style powered by Stoner's blood drop stolen by Melandri injected by Lascorz"
alrova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #55
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo
 
tomLSTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 6,798

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1






Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
Casey Stonerís win in Sundayís Qatar MotoGP was the most calculated and intelligent ride Iíve ever seen him put in. He never overstepped the mark, never even looked like getting out of shape, and simply stalked Dani Pedrosa until the time was right to make a clean break and disappear. He is, without doubt and by far, the fastest rider out there. Now that heís also riding the best bike on the grid, we can expect many similar performances over the coming season. Pedrosa yet again did what Pedrosa does best: starts brilliantly, sets some amazingly fast laps, and then fades badly towards the end when the tyres start to wear. I know that Dani suffered from some pretty severe arm problems towards the end of the race, but I canít help thinking this only added to the problems he already faces due to his complete lack of dirt track experience. On the larger bikes heís always had issues when it comes to dealing with worn tyres during the closing laps, and itís something heíll never learn to overcome. Itís a technical shortcoming that needed to have been addressed in his early teens. Iíve spoken with him about it in the past and he agrees that itís definitely a limiting factor. Stoner, on the other hand, thrives at these points in races and is able to step up his performance to another level when the rubber starts to wear. Thanks to his formative background, he instinctively knows how to modify his style and his lines without sacrificing lap times as the tyre degrades. Try as he might, Dani (and everyone else for that matter) will have to get used to the sight of Stoner disappearing into the distance this year.
#1: Wayne Gardner, like Eddie Lawson with Yamaha, is a die-hard Honder rider and very loyal to a company that did "right" by him for so many years. Of course he's going to make overt comments like this.
#2: Where's Wayne from again? Where's Stoner from? Come on, no surprise about that loyalty either. He's made tons of comments about Stoner in the past and iirc has even mentored him a bit through the years. Think about the Schwantz/ Spies relationship, same situation.
#3: The only thing I DISAGREE with from Mr Gardner's statements here is about Pederosa... while in past years his "pump pump fade" was routine, but in this race he was atypical and actually hung in and fought for position besting the current world champ. Not just atypical, EXTREMELY atypical by my observation. And you know that I was waiting for him to bin it or fade back to 5th!
#4: I love the consistent analogies and comments made about rider's lack or proficiency with dirt tracking. Makes me laugh when I hear know-it-alls talk about how unimportant those skills are to road racing.

I like Gardner's observations above, but they are biased; I still agree with almost all of it though, pretty spot-on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
MEANWHILE, OVER AT YAMAHAÖÖ..
Yamaha have a bit of work to do. Their lack of drive off the corners and top speed deficit was plain for all to see. Itís clear theyíve directed all their development into chassis design, and to that end their efforts appear to have paid off. But the package is far from complete. Jorge Lorenzo had to take major risks to get anywhere near the flying Hondas, and the fact he was able to second speaks volumes for his ability and determination. On the other hand, I was a little surprised at Spiesí performance. He really should have been a lot further towards the front end. After such a strong showing in pre-season testing, it was a little disappointing. He really struggled to get past a sub-par Rossi on a Ducati that looks like itís about to fall over at any moment. He will definitely improve, but those believing in his imminent elevation to serious championship challenger will have to wait a little longer yet. He still has another step or two to make.
All due respect to the great Gardner (of whom I was only mildly a fan of... Schwantz and Lawson have always been my favorites during that era and after) because he was an incredibly talented World Champ, but THEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS!
Spies had a bad start and was held up by THE MOST TALENTED RIDER IN THE WORLD OR IN RECENT HISTORY!!!!! Not to mention he's riding a bike that is down on power, many in the biz seem to be saying that it's even down on power in relation to the Duc.
The Yammis are going to have a hard time all year at the high-horsy power tracks unless they can do something to develop more power from the engine alotment they currently have. Get used to that.
Aside from the Spies comment, I again agree with Wayne's assessment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
REGRETS, HEíLL HAVE A FEW
Did you see Valentino nearly fall off while trying to fend off Spies? Yet again, it was another clear indication of the Ducatiís fundamental chassis design problems. Despite all their off-season efforts, the team have fixed precisely nothing. During the race the bike was also unstable on the entry into the corners, which seems to indicate an additional suspension issue. Then when he got in too hot on the corner in question he tried to adjust his body position to compensate Ė a move that then caused the front to fall over on him. He was lucky to catch it and hang on. You can see that Vale is very, very scared of the front on that bike. It still offers no feedback or information. It must be extremely unsettling. Amazingly, Rossi just canít seem to adapt his style to the required degree to make the bike manageable. Yes, his shoulder is still apparently causing some problems, but considering heís had to repeatedly and successfully modify his approach to learn 125, 250s, 500s, 990s and 800s, Iím very surprised he canít go faster. More than ever, it just shows the genius of Stoner, who was somehow able to overcome the Ducatiís major flaws and win races. Anyone who reckons he only won his world title because of Ducatiís superior top speed Ė and there seems to be a lot of them - is a fool. As for Rossiís seventh place finish, it was pretty much where I expected him to end up. As Iíve said before, Ducati are 12-months off the pace and not much will change in the next six or so months.

Again, fellow countrymen bias regarding Stoner's "genius". While Stoner had p**sy ache last year, Hayden was killin' it. Once Hayden was reallocated back to "mule" status, he didn't perform as well. Like this season with the Honder, horse power means a LOT, and I don't think the Honder is as stable as Gardner claims here. Watch the slow-mo head-on videos of the Hondas at this track. They're bucking and moving just as much as the other bikes at the pointy end are. Rider skill is what gets them around the corners, and Stoner has a ton of skill when it comes to controlling a out-of-shape bike. Like Hayden, I think he prefers the "uncontrollable" more than the controlled bikes. It's where he seems to shine... again, dirt tracking experience in spades with both of these riders...

It's painfully obvious that the Yami and Honda are getting through the corners very well, so chassis are working well with both manufacturers, the difference is horsepower and rider ability to push the bike faster than the guy behind him. This comes in to play coming in to the corners, through them, and (I think) especially getting out. Combine that all with great straight line speed and you're going to win almost every time
__________________
I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #56
Grinchy
Senior Member
 
Grinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 15,535

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila









Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
The only reason why he was able to catch with his kneee is because he is a slow , runing around at 40 MPH allows you to do that . Dingos missile speeds don't have room for errors, if he looses the front there is no way he can save that, remeber, win it or bin it, fast always no slow. This year he will prove you guys wrong though, he doesn't need to be going off in the Honda to keep the heat in the front so we will see him show you how is done. BTW, i heard rossi bought all the dingo on board camera to see if he can ride like him lol.

In a serious note, Jerez will be a good measuring tape between Jlo and Dingo. If dingo manages to take that win, say good bye to Jorge, Jerez is not a great track for dingo or ducati so we will see if it suits the honda powered by Dingo.
It will be a better indicator given Stoner's form in the past at Qatar.
However, the point I tried to make earlier is how Stoner will react when he crashes the Honda.
There's no question about his speed or his ability to adapt but the man has form (track record) as a crasher wether it be an Aprilia 125, KTM, Honda 250, LCR Honda or Ducati!
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #57
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail
 
alrova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NW-Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 3,861

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R









Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]#1: Wayne Gardner, like Eddie .................
That is why i said, take what you want from it. One comment though, if you have followed Wayne's articles in the past he has always been very critical of stoner, never had a good thing to talk about him. So this article comes as a surprise to me an others.

I just like to read everything there is about gp, wether is from a journalist, ex champion, teams, etc., and make my own assumptions.

I am still waiting to hear and apology from Kevin S. regarding Stoner being a crappy rider, time will tell.
__________________
--Alberto--
New weapon - "Green Hornet Kato Style powered by Stoner's blood drop stolen by Melandri injected by Lascorz"
alrova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #58
Grinchy
Senior Member
 
Grinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 15,535

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila









Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF WAYNE GARDNER

If you have, then you should read this, take from it whatever you want

GET USED TO IT
Casey Stonerís win in Sundayís Qatar MotoGP was the most calculated and intelligent ride Iíve ever seen him put in. He never overstepped the mark, never even looked like getting out of shape, and simply stalked Dani Pedrosa until the time was right to make a clean break and disappear. He is, without doubt and by far, the fastest rider out there. Now that heís also riding the best bike on the grid, we can expect many similar performances over the coming season. Pedrosa yet again did what Pedrosa does best: starts brilliantly, sets some amazingly fast laps, and then fades badly towards the end when the tyres start to wear. I know that Dani suffered from some pretty severe arm problems towards the end of the race, but I canít help thinking this only added to the problems he already faces due to his complete lack of dirt track experience. On the larger bikes heís always had issues when it comes to dealing with worn tyres during the closing laps, and itís something heíll never learn to overcome. Itís a technical shortcoming that needed to have been addressed in his early teens. Iíve spoken with him about it in the past and he agrees that itís definitely a limiting factor. Stoner, on the other hand, thrives at these points in races and is able to step up his performance to another level when the rubber starts to wear. Thanks to his formative background, he instinctively knows how to modify his style and his lines without sacrificing lap times as the tyre degrades. Try as he might, Dani (and everyone else for that matter) will have to get used to the sight of Stoner disappearing into the distance this year.

MEANWHILE, OVER AT YAMAHAÖÖ..
Yamaha have a bit of work to do. Their lack of drive off the corners and top speed deficit was plain for all to see. Itís clear theyíve directed all their development into chassis design, and to that end their efforts appear to have paid off. But the package is far from complete. Jorge Lorenzo had to take major risks to get anywhere near the flying Hondas, and the fact he was able to second speaks volumes for his ability and determination. On the other hand, I was a little surprised at Spiesí performance. He really should have been a lot further towards the front end. After such a strong showing in pre-season testing, it was a little disappointing. He really struggled to get past a sub-par Rossi on a Ducati that looks like itís about to fall over at any moment. He will definitely improve, but those believing in his imminent elevation to serious championship challenger will have to wait a little longer yet. He still has another step or two to make.


REGRETS, HEíLL HAVE A FEW
Did you see Valentino nearly fall off while trying to fend off Spies? Yet again, it was another clear indication of the Ducatiís fundamental chassis design problems. Despite all their off-season efforts, the team have fixed precisely nothing. During the race the bike was also unstable on the entry into the corners, which seems to indicate an additional suspension issue. Then when he got in too hot on the corner in question he tried to adjust his body position to compensate Ė a move that then caused the front to fall over on him. He was lucky to catch it and hang on. You can see that Vale is very, very scared of the front on that bike. It still offers no feedback or information. It must be extremely unsettling. Amazingly, Rossi just canít seem to adapt his style to the required degree to make the bike manageable. Yes, his shoulder is still apparently causing some problems, but considering heís had to repeatedly and successfully modify his approach to learn 125, 250s, 500s, 990s and 800s, Iím very surprised he canít go faster. More than ever, it just shows the genius of Stoner, who was somehow able to overcome the Ducatiís major flaws and win races. Anyone who reckons he only won his world title because of Ducatiís superior top speed Ė and there seems to be a lot of them - is a fool. As for Rossiís seventh place finish, it was pretty much where I expected him to end up. As Iíve said before, Ducati are 12-months off the pace and not much will change in the next six or so months.
I'm a huge fan of Gardner as I've stated before,
I watched him race with Ron Haslam on the Honda UK CB1100RR's, watched him in the TransAtlantic series, was at Assen when he all but ended Franco Uncini's career (unintentionally)

and watched him progress from the NS500 triple to the evil V4 that he took the crown on.
however
he has been very public in his support for his countryman Stoner in the past to the point of favoritism and equally critical of Rossi after a spat a few years ago when Rossi commented on how fragile a champion he was (backed up by JB) after Gardner had been less than kind to him.

My point is that what you read from Gardner about both Stoner and Rossi is pretty jaundiced imo. And as Tom said he is Honda through and through, funny how winter testing and ONE race makes the the big H the best bike on the grid when the Yamaha has dominated the last two years.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #59
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail
 
alrova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NW-Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 3,861

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R









Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
It will be a better indicator given Stoner's form in the past at Qatar.
However, the point I tried to make earlier is how Stoner will react when he crashes the Honda.
There's no question about his speed or his ability to adapt but the man has form (track record) as a crasher wether it be an Aprilia 125, KTM, Honda 250, LCR Honda or Ducati!
You do know that Dani and I don't have the stats in front of me but also Jlo have more crashes than Stoner in their GP career right? Just wanted to make sure you know that.
__________________
--Alberto--
New weapon - "Green Hornet Kato Style powered by Stoner's blood drop stolen by Melandri injected by Lascorz"
alrova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #60
Grinchy
Senior Member
 
Grinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 15,535

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila









Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
You do know that Dani and I don't have the stats in front of me but also Jlo have more crashes than Stoner in their GP career right? Just wanted to make sure you know that.
I'd like to see those stats
how many have been whilst in contention for the rostrum, on the sighting or warm up lap cause you know who the winner is by a country mile
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy