MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 12:05 AM   #41
r6gal
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
04 Yamaha r6

Member Garage

User is banned

r6gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MotoHouston riding tips arturo3rd Safety Corner Main 26 08-16-2015 09:33 PM
rain riding...tips? lucydad General Discussion (Moto Related) 49 12-19-2012 12:39 PM
Useful riding tips! bb4lif General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 10-30-2012 07:59 PM
Any tips for riding in rain? solow Safety Corner Main 43 05-20-2009 06:43 AM
Good riding tips. Patrick General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 03-10-2007 07:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2011, 12:05 AM   #42
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i used to commute up and down 45 from the woodlands (treat woodlands parkway as you would the freeway in the morning).
my 2 cents:
reflective anything. academy sells sheets of reflective stickers for i think 3 bucks. they also have reflective flashing armbands for like 10. the armband i know has saved my before.
3m makes a really bright reflective tape i think called solex. the is so bright it looks like an intense bulb when it reflects light.

ride extremely defensively. paranoid. think that nobody sees you, and they all want to be where you are at.

go a little faster. they are trying to get you.

situational awareness. whats going on ahead of you? oh snap, whats happening to the sides? hows the rear? look out for people coming up fast from behind.

keep your head on a swivel. try to keep cool, too.
if you are any kind of law abiding citezen then dont go too far past the speed limit. if you are above the law, then by all means, triple digits the whole way. top it out...

looking back at my commute on 45 makes me a little scared and thankful that im still alive. i dont care for the more urban riding, and the freeway just sucked.

on the other hand, 45 from houston to the woodlands was pretty awesome the other day. there's like never any traffic enforcement out when i pass through there.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #43
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Freeway is not bad at all!!!!

Since I move from Katy to Richmond the shortest road to the office is now Westheimer all the way from FM1464 to Fountain View, before that it was the Katy I-10 HOV. I really miss it 'cause Westheimer at rush hour is really bad, the cages move from lane to lane like crazy's!! So you need to be really alert but is still a lot of fun and the adrenalin rush in the morning helps me to be really awake when I get to the office.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #44
triumphant675r

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 Triumph Daytona 675 Triple

Member Garage

It's like chess. Think as many moves ahead as you can, but realize your opponent can change their gameplan. Get ahead of the pack and ride between packs of cars. You'll know when you're ready, it'll just happen, don't push it or you'll stress yourself out.
Anyone wear chaps with fishnet shirts? My friends give me for it, but I feel most comfortable this way. Just seeing if anyone else out there feels the same. Also looking for other men interested in riding.
triumphant675r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #45
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapata View Post
Freeway is not bad at all!!!!

Since I move from Katy to Richmond the shortest road to the office is now Westheimer all the way from FM1464 to Fountain View, before that it was the Katy I-10 HOV. I really miss it 'cause Westheimer at rush hour is really bad, the cages move from lane to lane like crazy's!! So you need to be really alert but is still a lot of fun and the adrenalin rush in the morning helps me to be really awake when I get to the office.
Hint Hint.....
70px Westparktollway
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #46
SexualChocolate
JapLac on 22s

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
998CCs of KING KONG...

Send a message via AIM to SexualChocolate
Stay off I10W at night. TX2K11 is in town lol.

mybanner4a260100b5617
SexualChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #47
BaylorNinja500
I miss this place

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 500R
2008 Zuma 125cc

i'll agree with the majority of posts on here, and to the OP i felt the same way. confident going 35-55mph on city roads with lower speed cars, but it's intimidating getting onthe highway with 18 wheelers going 75 all of a sudden.

I've only been riding on highways for 6 months or so, and when i'm not on the HOV, i sometimes still take the side roads. it takes EXTRA concerntration for me on 610, i 10 and 290, and some times i'm really just NOT inthe mood to be looking for tires, debris, matresses, and random garabage scattered all over the road while driving near ppl yappin away on the phone. Plus the extra cracks inthe road and random construction never help.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #48
Davekg
Honda Rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 CBR

don't hang behind tractor trailer rigs.... .... they throw a retread- you're dead.

Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #49
hdlongrod

Bike(s):
Honda VTX 1800N
2013 CanAm Spyder RSS SM5
2013 CanAm Spyder Ride Smart SE5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejesus View Post
Drive fast and look scared.
Dude?!
hdlongrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #50
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels05ss View Post
Thanks everyone,I'll give it a try early in the morning since I hardly see many cars on the weekends at least on 59 heading north(kingwood area)....thx again
It is not too bad , like others say ride a little faster than the traffic , stay ahead of the cars or behind them , if someone tailgates you speed up or move over to the next lane, look over your shoulder before changing lanes to make sure nobody is on your blind side , you will rarely hear the motor of the cars beside you , most likely jsut wind noises.
Just like on the streets , leave yourself an out .
Nothing can compare to a but pucker moment like when some fool comes over on you when you are doing freeway speeds.
Ride safe & enjoy.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #51
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowell View Post
And that full sized dish network satellite in the middle of the HOV on 59N at Bellaire. Or the mattress that was back at 6 and 59 ...
lol , so true though, I was riding on 290 this past summer & a piece of card board flew up & wrapped around my helmet , it would n't come off until I slowed down to about 55 , it was like it got pasted unto my facesheild , could not see chit .
Old 03-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #52
angels05ss

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
08 triumph 675
07 gsxr(sold)
08 gsxr (sold)
02 r6

Update.....first of all thanks everyone for the tips and advice,I've been getting on the freeway almost everyday after I get home from work.now all I have to worry about is taking on curves at higher speeds than normal.
angels05ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #53
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels05ss View Post
Update.....first of all thanks everyone for the tips and advice,I've been getting on the freeway almost everyday after I get home from work.now all I have to worry about is taking on curves at higher speeds than normal.
then don't...why do you feel obligated to speed through curves on the highway.

try hitting up a track day. it will teach a lot.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #54
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

^^^^ This may sound crazy but it's a damned fine idea!
They have instructors, class time and a controlled environment that's safer than the streets.
Just have to get it out of your head it's a "racetrack", it's just a road that goes in a circle. No cops, no oncoming traffic, no cell phones and no guardrails. Don't have to go any faster than you feel comfortable.
They have a few noob only trackdays every year, think about trying one out.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement