Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

such a beautiful day today!

The clouds are in, the sky is gray, and the earth is wet. Its not a BAD day for a ride, its a PErfectday to ride. Hone those wet weather skillz (especially if you have NONE)

You don't have to ride the streets, just find a quiet parking lot to test some braking, conering, and right wrist blips. If my bike was together (about 1/3 there) I would have called out today. Rain isn't so bad, when you know what to do, and how to do it, between you and the machine.

I want to hear from you newbs,(and maybe some of you street "oldies" on what you learned today!. Set up a few cones, and some friends, there is always something to learn with riding.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone riding today beautiful weather? 2/27/11 boner12 Events, Meets and Rides 23 02-27-2011 09:18 PM
The most beautiful day ever RojerLockless General Discussion (Moto Related) 51 09-04-2008 07:05 PM
ITS A BEAUTIFUL DAY! Andy General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 05-29-2007 04:01 PM
RIDING TODAY, BEAUTIFUL DAY! knee_dragger Events, Meets and Rides 21 02-21-2007 06:55 PM
What a beautiful day, I went to take pics scrapp Off Topic 17 10-27-2006 04:58 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

i learned not to ride in the stupid rain, between getting soaked, cold, sick, dealing with the wind and the idiots in the cars.. the rain and wet road was the least of my worries.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
i learned not to ride in the stupid rain, between getting soaked, cold, sick, dealing with the wind and the idiots in the cars.. the rain and wet road was the least of my worries.

this dude has a point. I'm lucky enough that bikes are a hobby to me, and not legitimate transportation. I can choose to not ride when the weather is inclement.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
BaylorNinja500
I miss this place

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 500R
2008 Zuma 125cc

couldn't agree more with above! and on those rare occasions where you're taken off guard and get hit with random rain showers on the bike....i chill under a gas station and contemplate what's the meaning of life!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorNinja500 View Post
i chill under a gas station and contemplate what's the meaning of life!!!
that sounds like a euphemism for .
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 03-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
BaylorNinja500
I miss this place

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 500R
2008 Zuma 125cc

^ haha on the bike...hmmmm never thought about that. might be pretty intense with the rumble and vibrartion . looks like i got something to do today!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
GAU-8
official thread ender.

So far it looks like...

Responder 1 -> improper gear for bad weather.

Responder 2 -> chooses to not believe he will be caught in bad weather.

Responder 3 -> wants to wants penile euphoria at gas station, while wondering the meaning of life.. (which by the way, the answer you seek is the number "42"...Douglas Adams knows.)

Not the start I was thinking. :P
Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
So far it looks like...

Responder 1 -> improper gear for bad weather.

Responder 2 -> chooses to not believe he will be caught in bad weather.

Responder 3 -> wants to wants penile euphoria at gas station, while wondering the meaning of life.. (which by the way, the answer you seek is the number "42"...Douglas Adams knows.)

Not the start I was thinking. :P
Responder 2 does 99.99999999% of his riding on the track, and therefore won't get caught in bad weather. However, responder 2 has done a wet trackday. Well, half of one. It was called at lunch for lightning.

CMRA #302
Old 03-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):

Responder 1 earned his bones and used a bike instead of a car for 8 months - figured out that bad drivers become worse in the rain and suddenly it wasn't "cool" to ride in the rain regardless of how shiny the gear is and how special you think it makes you.

the wind is worse than the rain. its easy enough to just ignore the rain and use caution on the slippery road, anybody can handle it... but high winds will kick your every time. just take the car.

Last edited by zerobounds; 03-14-2011 at 09:51 AM.
zerobounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Valid points

So baylorninja....so how's the spankbank gastank donation goin? Report in..
Old 03-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

For my local weekend rides I choose not to head out if its wet. If I get caught out.. eh, no biggie.

No such thing as rain, it's liquid sunshine!

I've ridden in rain and snow, hail, sleet. Proper gear and attitude go a long way. If you are wet, cold and tense... well duh! Of course it ain't no fun.

I carry a set of Frog Toggs (thanks again Ed!) on my long trips. Light and breathable, but water proof. See Academy Sports.

Main things about riding in rain is be real careful for first 15 or so after it starts, as all the oil comes up. Stay in the wheel tracks, not the center.

Current tires have plenty of grip, you can still run a good pace on wet roads. Try to keep the bike more upright, be smooth, avoid snappy inputs on the brakes and throttle. Really all the same things a good rider strives to do on the dry.

A good pair of street gloves have a wiper portion on the side of one of the fingers. for the visor. You can just turn your head side to side at speed to wick the water off. Rain-X isn't a bad idea for a daily commuter, and anti-fog on the inside..the brands the dive shops carry are cheap and very effective.

If you know you are headed out in the rain, a cheap pair of latex dish washing gloves under your MC gloves go a long way.. warm and dry is the key.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
GAU-8
official thread ender.

I like the frog togs. Real good job, for such a nice price. I had a set larger than what I would actually wear. This way I could layer on clothing underneath (and jacket/s) if needed, and I wouldn't feel encapsulated to where it has hard to move.

The rain also improved my memory.....cause I immediately learned (and retained) how many steel plates the city of houston used to cover potholes :/
Old 03-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #13
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

RPM Cycles in Farmers Branch

Sorry about the title. that was for another thread.. Anyway was on i-10 when the rain it. At least traffic was moving slow but I was happy I was in a cage. The water must have been almost 1/2 inch on the road.

Last edited by grsa; 03-14-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Mis
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #14
WWFII

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
K8 Hayabusa (STOLEN)

I only ride in the rain if there is no other option. I do not care for the radioactive spray cars exude, and the sand/grit left behind after the spray evaporates.
WWFII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
BaylorNinja500
I miss this place

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 500R
2008 Zuma 125cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
Valid points

So baylorninja....so how's the spankbank gastank donation goin? Report in..
haha haven't left the house all day. off for spg. break. i'll leave it to ur imagination if i've participated in any "special alone time celebrations"
Old 03-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #16
GAU-8
official thread ender.

My imagination will not see, what wants to remain unseen.

On that note, on rain days, I actually prefer the bike over a car. Not only is it a "single line" of tires through the wet streets, the tire shape makes it harder to hydroplane, like a car, when hitting the h2o. The other thing is there is no pull to the right when hitting puddles. (And the sudden deceleration, when going through deeper patches, like a car.)

Advertisement