Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
BaptizedByFire
Future Organ Donor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
'03 CBR 600RR

Riding w/ Passenger

http://www.sportrider.com/riding_tip...ger/index.html

I read this article because my biggest fear of riding is not hurting myself but hurting someone else. Especially someone who willingly (perhaps stupidly) puts her life in my hands. I want all the knowledge I can get about riding 2-up.

The only girl that ever went on a real ride with me is abt 5'2, 90 lbs and shes been riding all her life. Everybody I know who's rode with her says its like shes not even there, but i feel every ounce and every little shift of her weight, and I feel more bogged down than I think I should- I'm only about 150lbs myself so the bike should have more than enuff power for the both of us.

I'm the only one with these issues so I know it's my inexperience not hers. Any additional tips and advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by BaptizedByFire; 03-14-2011 at 12:06 AM.
BaptizedByFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Riding with a passenger. Eddy.T General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 10-07-2010 06:20 AM
How much is your passenger worth? The Trav General Discussion (Moto Related) 45 07-05-2010 11:20 AM
Passenger Seat kswiss2301 Cruisers Lounge 2 08-11-2009 03:56 PM
TV for your passenger ?? JRxGRUBZx General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 10-14-2008 12:18 AM
passenger newrider05 Safety Corner Main 22 09-07-2005 05:39 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

At 90 pounds i would say dont worry too much about it lol i have seen a 280 lb rider with a 240 lb passenger go through twisties pretty fast without any problems at all!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)

Member Garage

Trust yourself and know your bike. I find that my countersteering feels like it has to be more deliberate when I'm riding with a passenger. Btw I'm 250 and passenger about 130. Bike suspension set to stiffest setting
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

at first its really really nerve racking but after a few rides you start getting used to it.

for me, i'm not sure if this is all the best advice but personally i find that trying to just forget that they are there is the biggest help. you're always going to feel the weight resistance if they arent leaning right but a big thing is if they're consistent - then you can always use the same basis for how much you have to compensate.. which, generally isnt much especially @ 90lbs and being a rider herself..

I just forget they're there, dig in however much i want, drill the turn and compensate as needed on the fly, the passenger will usually catch on and if they dont then just deal with it til you stop for a break and discuss the problems you may be having.. All the moving around she does is simply something you're going to feel, its more than likely not going to make you guys wreck unless shes shifting around heavily in the wrong way during a turn and any decent rider is going to avoid doing that.

then again your own stability and smoothness affects their comfort zone for sure, make sure you're consistent yourself and it will help her stay smooth. start slow and progress from there.

Last edited by zerobounds; 03-14-2011 at 06:59 AM.
zerobounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
The Preacher

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R6
2002 Suzuki TL 1000R (sold)
1993 Suzuki Katana 750 (sold)

I used to hate riding with a passenger because they put all their weight on my back while putting their arms around me to hold on. It cramped my ability to adjust my weight in the saddle for sharp curves etc. But, I found a device that helped a lot. It is called a rider hold tight. Essentially it is a belt with four handles on it. If we are leaned over and pushing it she holds onto the front two handles, but if we are at a slower pace she can sit up and hold onto the side handles. I works great for my kids too when I take them through the neighborhood. I like it because it allows the rider to feel secure without a death grip on my waist. Here is the link: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...chAutoComplete
If one of the motohouston sponsors carry this...then buy from them. It is usually around $30.
1 Samuel 12:24 Only fear the Lord, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Learning how to keep acceleration and braking smooth as possible makes things alot more comfortable
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
TeleRomeo
Wide Freaking Open!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 ZX-6R Track
Cr125 Braaap

I have more confidence when I ride 2up the added weight helps me keep the rubber side down!!!
TeleRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #8
kalanie
facebok/leatherlaceracing

You might want to practice on small roads/parking lot first to understand each other's style of riding

Come to an agreement before getting on the bike(just like group riding)

Be considerate of the passenger's riding experience too

Don't show off

If they have the death squeeze on you..
SLOW DOWN!!

Leather&Lace Racing Leather Repair
281-657-589 zero
kalanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

The trick to riding with a passenger is ditch the sport bike. It's not comfortable or easy for either of you. Much easier on a cruiser or even a sport touring bike. I know it may be your only bike but it really is hard to do and in my opinion it can be dangerous. Braking and accelerating is a real chore. I'm not trying to be a but asking how to ride with a passenger on a sportbike is like asking how to ride with 4 passengers in a corvette. You don't.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
kalanie
facebok/leatherlaceracing

Every bike offers a different style of riding

Sport bikes aren't made to be comfortable.
They belong on the open road with twisties.
If you can deal with the discomfort the passenger can feel and enjoy the same experience as the driver

I would only trust a rider that has a many years of experience to take me on the back of a sport bike.It is a huge responsibility and more complex than a cruiser/standard.

In the end it's a matter of preference

Leather&Lace Racing Leather Repair
281-657-589 zero

Last edited by kalanie; 03-15-2011 at 04:15 PM.
kalanie is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement