MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 12:23 AM   #1
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Send a message via AIM to Ramius
Fork Problem

Hey when you have tweaked forks, what are your options on correcting this, are they repairable or is it just a replacement issue?
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fork LEAK dirty3rdpimpin How To's and Q & A's 8 01-17-2013 10:25 PM
fork springs ???????????????????? H2447INTX General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 05-28-2010 03:08 PM
fork break klassik Stunters Lounge 9 05-07-2010 03:02 AM
Yet another fork seal Knightrider How To's and Q & A's 10 02-17-2008 09:26 PM
Fork questions Buck Nasty Performance and Modifications 14 01-26-2007 12:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2006, 12:30 AM   #2
Radar

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

What do you mean by tweaked? Bent? if so how much? Or just twisted in the tree clamps, or???? What kind of forks/bike? Upside down forks or conventional?
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:33 AM   #3
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
What do you mean by tweaked? Bent? if so how much? Or just twisted in the tree clamps, or???? What kind of forks/bike? Upside down forks or conventional?
+1
Old 09-09-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
train460
speed junky

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

have heard of people correcting a SLIGHT bend in the tubes but i would just get another set of tubes.
I think "Forks by frank" is still around
88 v-max
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:34 AM   #5
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

ooh, ok..

2002 gsxr 1000, so it would be upside down forks, it's tweaked to the left, dunno if it's in the tree clamps or not, I could go snap some pictures if you have a second and think it would help.
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Old 09-09-2006, 12:36 AM   #6
JojoCbr1000rr

Member Garage

Cool

replace the upper forktubes and internal parts depends on how bad they are if u don't replace soon you will go thru fork seals like crazy
Old 09-09-2006, 12:38 AM   #7
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

If the front wheel is out and with the axle out rotate each side (the bottom part) and see if it appears to be straight or if it appears bent. That will be a good starting point.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:39 AM   #8
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
ooh, ok..

2002 gsxr 1000, so it would be upside down forks, it's tweaked to the left, dunno if it's in the tree clamps or not, I could go snap some pictures if you have a second and think it would help.
you can probaly loosen up the clamp pinch bolts on the trees and try to straighten out the wheel/handlebars. someone need to be in front of the bike to make sure the wheel is straight while you stand behind the bike to align the "handlebars".
Old 09-09-2006, 12:40 AM   #9
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Pictures are always good.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:43 AM   #10
josh302

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

losen the tripple tree bolts and see if they will go back
Old 09-09-2006, 12:45 AM   #11
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

but dont remove them. also this should be done with two people.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:50 AM   #12
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Granted these pics suck but lets see if they are usefull

Fork Problem

Fork Problem

(the wheel is pointed straight in this pic)
09 09 06 004deleted
Old 09-09-2006, 12:58 AM   #13
josh302

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

look down the right tube and see if it is Straight. losen all the tripple bolts including the big 32mm(or whatever) you can hold the wheel with your legs and try to twist the handle bars back Straight. more than likley that right tube is bent.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:01 AM   #14
JojoCbr1000rr

Member Garage

Cool

i would replace both upper forktubes and check internal parts for damage or just get new forks
Old 09-09-2006, 01:14 AM   #15
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Whats that you all say? Upgrade the front suspension? Well, if I must I must. =)
Old 09-09-2006, 01:19 AM   #16
JojoCbr1000rr

Member Garage

OHLINS
Old 09-09-2006, 01:28 AM   #17
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Well - the pics are better than nothing. In the first one its looks like something is hanging out of the seal - is it or is that just the way it looks in the pic? Assuming there is nothing (like part of a damaged seal) hanging out the last pic tells the most. If it were mine I would jack it or support it so the front wheel is off the ground and secure. Next, I would remove the front wheel and fender. I would then rotate the bottom of each tube and see if each tube appears straight or bent. If they are straight that is obviously good. This has "poor boy" checked the tubes themselves for straight. Assuming they are straight (best case), then you will need to loosen the big nut at the top center of the upper tree (shown in your last [3rd] picture). Don't remove it - just loosen it. Next you will need to loosen each fork body - lets say for talks sake the left one first - loosen the top and bottom clamps of the left side, and resnug them very lightly - just enough to hold them from falling [note how the top is aligned vertically with respect to the upper tree / flush, just above, just below, and record that] it should be the same on both sides. Then do the same thing to the right side. You may feel things shift during the loosening of all this - this will be the parts trying to realign themselves, if they aren't bent too badly. Next loosen one side (we'll say the left side - first) and with the upper and lower tree clamps just barely loose enough to allow the fork housing to rotate (fender, caliper,etc will have to be removed first) look at the very bottom of the lower tube as you rotate the housing in the clamps and see if the bottom appears to be straight (doesn't oscillate - stays exactly in one spot) - if it doesnt oscillate, and it does stay in one spot - that is good. Snug the left side again, just enough to hold it in place, then do the same thing to the right side. What you are doing with all this is creating your own "poor boy" V-blocks out of the trees. If you do all this and all is well then let us know and I'll walk you through the retightening procedure to get everything back where it needs ot be - Good luck!

Last edited by Radar; 09-09-2006 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:37 AM   #18
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

^^^^^^^^^

I'm going to do this.. but it will have to be tomorrow because I'm at work right now, but I will do this and let you all know what happens..

BTW Thanks =)
Old 09-09-2006, 01:40 AM   #19
koskesh
May i go to the Bathroom?

Bike(s):
06 gsxr750

i thought u were selling this bike
koskesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:46 AM   #20
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Just to clarify - in the first part of this you are rotating the TUBE in the housing - that checks the TUBE for straight. If it's straight and ONLY if it's straight do you go to the second check where you rotate the whole assembly (FORK HOUSING) in the trees - that checks the fork housing for straight. Most likely the tube (lower shiny chrome looking part) is the weaker of the two, and will be the first to bend. I'm out of here - off to the rack will check on you tomorrow.

Advertisement