MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
100f
Reagan and Peyton's Dad

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
94' 1000F
92' VFR 750

Drivers License...

where is a good place to take a course?
100f is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just got my drivers license renewed... Flip Flop General Discussion (Moto Related) 221 08-19-2015 01:30 PM
Drivers License lookup morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 07-25-2011 01:12 PM
check your drivers license Homebrew Off Topic 8 03-29-2007 10:12 AM
Drivers License Pictures ArturoC Off Topic 1 12-21-2006 10:57 PM
Do you have a drivers license? arturo3rd General Discussion (Moto Related) 65 11-29-2006 03:21 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #2
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17133

I teach at Spring Branch ISD
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
100f
Reagan and Peyton's Dad

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
94' 1000F
92' VFR 750

what does the course consist of?
100f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
rick
R.I.P. "B"

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
o5 gsxr 750

talk to RACER X
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:31 PM   #5
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2577
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 09-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
ratmzapa

Member Garage

Racerx
Old 09-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

racerX taught a few AMA racers...
Old 09-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Racer X could teach a goat how to ride a motorcycle.
He's that good.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:39 AM   #9
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

if youre in the SE sideof town...i took mine at the San Jac campus near redbluff and fairmont
Old 09-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
andrave

I took mine at spring branch but I got the old harley guy and honestly its not worth $165 if you have ridden on the street at all. The book they give you has mostly the same as the DPS motorcycle book and you mostly learn low speed manuevers. In addition the guy running the class hated crotch rockets and told me that "everyone" that buys them just wants to ride wheelies up I45 with no gear and I said that just as maney harley guys are out with no gear on as guys on import bikes and he said "no, EVERY guy riding those little crotch rockets doesn't wear gear."
And then he was trying to tell me that the 125 eliminator I took my test on was as fast through that course as a GSXR would be, because, as he said, "a motorcycle is a motorcycle, you can't lean one more than the other. Why do you think you could ride your GSXR faster?" I was like.. um... cause the pegs are 6" higher and it doesn't scrape when I get 10 degrees of lean angle on it???
and he would tell me to slalom and do the exercise at 18 and when I hit the slalom at 18 mph he told me I was going way too fast (because the other riders were all going like 8 mph so they weren't even getting the feeling of leaning) and so when I slowed down to 12 mph he said I didn't look like I was having any fun.

The final straw was when I rode past him after completing an exercise and instead of giving the hand signal for "stop" he just reaching over and grabbed my front brake lever as I went by, jerking the wheel and locking up the front brake. If I wasn't an experienced rider I would have dropped the bike and possibly injured both of us.
Youre probably thinking I must have done something horribly wrong if he did something that drastic but all he wanted to tell me was something like "you did good, shift earlier, and do it again."

anyway I signed up there thinking i'd get racer X but they opened a 2nd section and I got the old fart... and he sucked I really didn't learn much and I felt like he was riding my the entire time and being more critical of me than the other riders (who were old guys who spent each break drooling over the harley he rode to class).

Maybe I just had a bad experience... if you are an absolute beginner the course will help you, or if you don't have a bike to take the dps test on and you want your license, I guess its your only option. but if you have already ridden at all you might want to think twice.

and yes, I know lots of other people took and loved the course and their instructor and feel like they learned a lot. Maybe I should have taken it before I had ridden for a while, it might have helped me more.

I'm just giving my perspective on the class, having what I felt was "basic" riding ability.

good luck
andrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:54 PM   #11
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrave
I took mine at spring branch but I got the old harley guy and honestly its not worth $165 if you have ridden on the street at all. The book they give you has mostly the same as the DPS motorcycle book and you mostly learn low speed manuevers. In addition the guy running the class hated crotch rockets and told me that "everyone" that buys them just wants to ride wheelies up I45 with no gear and I said that just as maney harley guys are out with no gear on as guys on import bikes and he said "no, EVERY guy riding those little crotch rockets doesn't wear gear."
And then he was trying to tell me that the 125 eliminator I took my test on was as fast through that course as a GSXR would be, because, as he said, "a motorcycle is a motorcycle, you can't lean one more than the other. Why do you think you could ride your GSXR faster?" I was like.. um... cause the pegs are 6" higher and it doesn't scrape when I get 10 degrees of lean angle on it???
and he would tell me to slalom and do the exercise at 18 and when I hit the slalom at 18 mph he told me I was going way too fast (because the other riders were all going like 8 mph so they weren't even getting the feeling of leaning) and so when I slowed down to 12 mph he said I didn't look like I was having any fun.

The final straw was when I rode past him after completing an exercise and instead of giving the hand signal for "stop" he just reaching over and grabbed my front brake lever as I went by, jerking the wheel and locking up the front brake. If I wasn't an experienced rider I would have dropped the bike and possibly injured both of us.
Youre probably thinking I must have done something horribly wrong if he did something that drastic but all he wanted to tell me was something like "you did good, shift earlier, and do it again."

anyway I signed up there thinking i'd get racer X but they opened a 2nd section and I got the old fart... and he sucked I really didn't learn much and I felt like he was riding my the entire time and being more critical of me than the other riders (who were old guys who spent each break drooling over the harley he rode to class).

Maybe I just had a bad experience... if you are an absolute beginner the course will help you, or if you don't have a bike to take the dps test on and you want your license, I guess its your only option. but if you have already ridden at all you might want to think twice.

and yes, I know lots of other people took and loved the course and their instructor and feel like they learned a lot. Maybe I should have taken it before I had ridden for a while, it might have helped me more.

I'm just giving my perspective on the class, having what I felt was "basic" riding ability.

good luck
I don't think that you experience is typical! I have taken it twice at two different locations. First was for myself and the second I went with a few girlfriends for moral support! Both times I had a blast and learned alot! I highly recommend it for new riders, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

i took it with ed (racer x) course is worth it

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #13
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrave

sorry, you weren't happy w/ the class. i'll forward your post to him. maybe it'll open his eye's a little.

as for learning, alot has to do w/ the student. if you goto class you'll learn something. if you already know it all, you won't learn anything.

i've had plenty of long time riders who take the class and learn something, it's usually the 19-20 yo, who just started riding that "doesn't learn anything"

and as candie said, it;s like any classroom. some teachers are better then others.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 09-10-2006, 09:24 PM   #14
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

i nominate racerx for motohouston safety corner mod.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:28 PM   #15
j14
Seņor Esmooth...not rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
i nominate racerx for motohouston safety corner mod.
lol...is that his 2nd nomination?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #16
therky42

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 VTX 1300C, YZ 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
sorry, you weren't happy w/ the class. i'll forward your post to him. maybe it'll open his eye's a little.

as for learning, alot has to do w/ the student. if you goto class you'll learn something. if you already know it all, you won't learn anything.

i've had plenty of long time riders who take the class and learn something, it's usually the 19-20 yo, who just started riding that "doesn't learn anything"

and as candie said, it;s like any classroom. some teachers are better then others.

I took the same class with RacerX....good teacher good class and DEF WORTH the money.....you can have riding experience ...but you will always learn something from a group of teachers who has been riding and teaching people to ride for years..... ...

I took the DPS test to get my license ... all I had to do was drive down the street make a left turn and a right turn then enter and exit the highway ..... no u turns no nothing......easy and took 5 mins! the class is a much better way IMO.

Last edited by therky42; 09-10-2006 at 09:35 PM.
therky42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement