MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Supermotos in Big Bend

From Richard's "Uncles Around the Bend Ride" dual sport ride I went on in late Feb.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BRAWPing in Big Bend Mr.P General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 05-10-2013 03:15 PM
Big bend backcountry thanksgiving triumphant675r Off Topic 6 10-01-2012 04:07 PM
Big Bend Mastertotebag Cruisers Lounge 16 03-30-2012 06:42 AM
Houston to Big Bend Jeff General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 12-16-2009 11:26 AM
Big Bend: The Quest For Chili Squeaky General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 11-11-2007 10:20 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I headed to Terlingua with Nadeem, Mark, and John. Uneventful truck ride with 20 miles of dirt thrown in courtesy of Garmin, kind of a pre-ride bike dirt wash for the Supermotos we planned to ride mainly on concrete this trip.

Thursday was Houston - Terlingua - Starlight - La Kiva - Bed. :mrgreen:

Friday was Kathy's - Terlingua - Lajitas - Hiking The Hill - Hiking Closed Canyon - Presidio - Ruidosa - Pinto Canyon - Lunch at Padre's in Marfa - 169 - Casas Piedras / BBNP - Starlight - Terlingua Theatre - La Kiva - Bed. 340 miles / 9 hours riding. 25% dirt. :trust:

Saturday was Kathy's - BBNP - Maverick - Santa Elena Canyon - River Road - Hiking to Mariscal Mine - Hot Springs - Terlingua - Banquet - La Kiva - Bed. 150 miles / 9 hours riding. 50% dirt! :doh:

Sunday was Kathy's - Houston with crazy wind :eek2:

I hope to fill in each " - " above with pics and video tonight.......
Old 03-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #3
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

OK, so I really like bikes. I like to ride dirt, street, track, tour, sport, race, minibikes, wheelies, classics, motards, and anything else that puts wind in my face on two wheels and grips in my hand. Snowboarding comes a close 2nd, but bikes are what makes my ears perk up like a puppy.

My most versatile bike seems to be my DRZ 400 Supermoto. It's actually a 2002 E model with 2008 motor, 2006 bodywork, 2007 forks, and 1971 me on board. A hodgepodge that cost me about $2000 and 50 hours of scouring ebay, craigslist, and the interwebs.

The DRZ does just about everything ok, and nothing well. It's a regular at Fast Line where I work grid and control for trackdays around Texas. With 17" rims front and back it handles fairly well on used race tires and with an oversize brake it stop good too Not as fast as the hotter tuned 450's, but the light handling and zero maintenance needed make it a cheap track day tool.

821164380 fE94q XL

With knobbies it can do a little dirt and gravel work

Mextrek2009046

And it's fairly waterproof

685114165 v9LpQ L
Old 03-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 03-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

My buddy for the trip, John Gabriel, is a riding master. He can 360 a BMX bike over a 20 foot gap and take trophies at local trail jams, skateboard well enough to be on a Goya soda commercial, helped us win 2nd place in the expert class in the Texas Mini GP endurance series last year, won the Fast Line GSS Invitational CMRA race on a Ninja 250, can stunt a big bike with circle wheelie, stoppies, whatever. He has natural talent, and loves to ride...everyday.

On the flip side, he has never been on a motorcycle vacation. Never been on a plane, rarely left Texas, and definitely has never chased a roadrunner in the West Texas desert. I wanted to help him discover the fun of adventure riding. His smile, and marking this X as claiming his spot in the West Texas landscape, says it all:

bigbend2011167
Old 03-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Thursday was Houston - Terlingua - Starlight - La Kiva - Bed.

After 2 months of ever changing plans Camilo decides to drive out solo, and solorider (Nadeem), Subcomm (Mark), and Gabriel (John) and I (Shadman) head out from Houston around 10 AM. Nadeem shows up in style in the 2500 diesel with a trailer and straps and we're off heading west (again).

bigbend2011044

Mark took shotgun and stayed focused on the road ahead...

bigbend2011043

3 hours in and we're getting about 12 MPG at 80. This ain't gonna be a cheap ride. Running into 3-4 more groups headed to Uncle's we find others are getting 7-9. The big diesel is paying off.

Garmin gets water on the brain and takes us down Old Alpine Highway from Fort Stockton to Alpine. 20 miles of really puffy gravel and our bikes look like adventure bikes already...way too dirty to want to sit on them.

bigbend2011048
Old 03-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

300 feet down, wedged rock...no way Jose, I like my life.

bigbend2011079

Big smiles, big booms, droppin rocks

bigbend2011083

bigbend2011086

Then we're off again:

bigbend2011095

Hiking Closed Canyon - Presidio

A few more miles down the road I see the moon over the Mexico rock wall.

bigbend2011096

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Then a cut. looks cool. Quick U turn and we roll down a creek bed for a few hundred yards.

bigbend2011099

bigbend2011104

- Ruidosa - Pinto Canyon - Lunch at Padre's in Marfa - 169 - Casas Piedras / BBNP - Starlight - Terlingua Theatre - La Kiva - Bed. 340 miles / 9 hours riding. 25% dirt.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #9
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 03-09-2011, 12:22 AM   #10
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #11
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Around 400 feet above the river below you get a little spooked the closer you get to the edge. I am deathly afraid of heights. I actually get dizzy and weak from Vertigo. Wierd thing is...I like it. It's a rush. I got sick and pinned down by fear on a tall spike in Utah and couldn't move for 10 minutes or so. I couldn't even sit up. That's when, at age 21, I discovered just how afraid of heights I am.

At the Hill I tried to throw a rock, couldn't do it with any force, even though I was 8 feet from the edge on a big flat rock. John volunteered...it was quite a fall. And of course, we check for people and animals below first...

Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #12
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 03-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #13
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Saturday was Kathy's - BBNP - Maverick - Santa Elena Canyon - River Road - Hiking to Mariscal Mine - Hot Springs - Terlingua - Banquet - La Kiva - Bed. 150 miles / 9 hours riding. 50% dirt!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #14
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Saturday was Kathy's - BBNP - Maverick - Santa Elena Canyon

Woke up well rested to an absolutely perfect Saturday morning in the desert. I slept like a log all night, real world turned off. Totally uncluttered dream time with only the promise of another day of "exploring" on my mind.

You see, I think "adventure riding" fails to capture the spirit of what most modern adventure riders are looking for. We have adventure in our lives, life is the adventure, and we work our way through it all the time. If it were my website, I'd rename it from ADVRider to EXPRider.com I think we, in a world of GPS, maps, internet, and the common knowledge that all of the world has already been "Found", like to find our own little adventure through exploration. I'd guess a lot of guys on this forum hate doing things twice. Just a hunch. Joseph Conrad, in his amazing story, "Heart of Darkness writes, "This, too was once one of the dark places of the earth." Dark because no man of modern society had ever been there, or at least not been there and come back to chronicle his adventure.

Once upon a time, not that far distant, Big Bend had been a dark place. Indian territory. With little of interest to North American society. I can only assume the Toltecs, Mayans, and Aztecs cared about as much about the desert to the north as I do Kansas. (no offense Kansas, you're just boring). In those days the final outcropping into the North was probably somewhere with silver veins in the ground, maybe Zacatecas, a couple hundred miles southeast, I think.

"They were men enough to face the darkness." Conrad writes. The intrigue of the unknown surpassing, overcoming the tranquility and safety of the known. Men joining legions to fight and claim places so opposite "modern" London that most society thought them sort of mad.

Obviously, Big Bend is a very bright place now. Well known with everything larger than a quarter with any significance has a road sign, arrows, and plaque proclaiming why it is important.

So, how best to feel like we're exploring and adventuring 200 years ago? With eyes wide shut. Take 2 to look at the map. Ask a dusty traveller if we can make it through the "18 inches" of silt on street tires, and head into the personal "unknown". Cool

So we start as usual at Kathy's. Roy Rogers, no egg,with pico, and an iced tea. Fireside with good friends, talking Mexico and beyond. Breakfast drags out to 9:30. Time is wasting, we have 3 dirt roads on our menu for lunch. Gidde up.

$10 get us a park pass, 10 minutes southeast of Terlingua on the main road. And a small tourist map. A much better friend than GPS in this wasteland. We hook at rigth 25 yards later and onto Old Maverick road. This is smooth graded gravel, smooth enough for a 40 foot RV probably. We take it easy, 35 or so, and marvel at the natural wall on the far side of the Rio Grande in the distance.

bigbend2011254

Somewhere along the way we see a hut where some interesting man lived to be 108.

bigbend2011246

Desert air must be good for the soul.

bigbend2011243

So we push on, getting a little bored at 35 mph.

bigbend2011266

Big things look big for a long time. Little things go under your wheels almost right away. Mountains are big things, so they linger while you twist the gas for miles on end.

bigbend2011268
Old 03-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #15
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 03-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #16
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 03-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #17
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Here's a question many folks fail. In the desert, what tool is the best thing to bring if you hope to be rescued? Obviosuly, water is ideal, after that? A gun? A pocketknife? A compass? Nope, it's even more simple. With a range of 30 miles, it goes a lot farther than your voice or horn. A cell phone? Not out here. Simple....effective...and we all got one.

Click here for a hint...

bigbend2011321

A mirror. You can signal planes, helis, or vehicles from far away. In my 2nd "police" quote of the day, I'll send an — — — to the world, I'll send an — — — to the world. I hope that some one gets my, I hope that.....
Old 03-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #18
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 03-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #19
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I'm so scared of heights I can't get to the end. Natural defense mechanisms are so entertaining. Like riding on a straight road at 30 MPH in the middle of no-where and trying to keep your eyes closed for 5 seconds straight. Can't do it. I know there is nothing to worry about, still can't do it. Still get dizzy sick at heights. Oh well...

bigbend2011399
Old 03-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #20
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Advertisement