MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #41
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

The truth is that most of the ducatis you see out there are pretty slow imo lol
Beta ditch the bags craigntx General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 08-18-2015 12:37 PM
Rider in the ditch on 149 :-/ TREE General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 03-30-2013 06:36 PM
Came up on a rider who went in ditch! Grim_Reaper General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 03-23-2012 06:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #42
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
It's pretty ironic that someone in the video is dissing a Ducati rider for his slow speed as he's passing by a crash scene
Bevo, u took the words right out of my mouth
Old 03-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #43
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post

...much better story than 'Can someone tell me what just happened', or just having 'flashes' of memory.

It's funny/strange but I can remember all 3 of my street bike wrecks as in slow motion. Know exactly what happened.

My two real good dirt bike wrecks with concussions I don't recall other than just before. Lost two whole days on one..

The mind is a funny thing...

BOT.. anyone heard from our "crash test dummy Bart" today?
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #44
eltejano
I smell pretty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Worst tragedy here is that you rode 2 up with a guy.

Glad youre ok, though.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #45
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Worst tragedy here is that you rode 2 up with a guy.

Glad youre ok, though.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #46
omer
SMR

Bike(s):
whatever is at the shop at the time ;)
2010 r1
2009 CBR1000RR
2006 GSXR600
2008 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
It's pretty ironic that someone in the video is dissing a Ducati rider for his slow speed as he's passing by a crash scene
+1
Old 03-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #47
Bart
Thread killer

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

Wow... wasn't expecting such responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess
Aaaaaaaand, I guess this means I won't be meeting you up for breakfast next weekend. =/
Not unless you want to dine with a crippled cager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxergirloh2
you should defntly take your big girlfriend to the track at least once
With 2 jobs, hitting a trackday would be a challenge. I'd love to do this, not because I want to be a racer but simply to learn correct riding position - now that I'm so acutely aware of the fact that there is such a thing. Ultimately I want something faster and more agile (yes that's right, the guy who crashed into a ditch is expressing desire for a more dangerous bike, less than 24 hours later... I'm just not a shining example of sanity, am I?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday_Rider
The guy that turned your bike on was crazy angel aka grandpa wheelie, i am the guy who got you some water at the station on the bmw.
I'm honored to have met Mr. Bike-Of-The-Month live and in person. There were several people involved in pulling my Katana out of the mud, turning it on etc; plus I was kinda dingy, so I don't remember most names and only a few faces. But yes I remember that water... mighty refreshing. Made a nice chaser to wash down that shot of ditch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E
...you have a future as a story teller. That should be sent to Cycle World magazine.
Hmm, hadn't thought about that. Now that's a compliment. Remember talking to me in the morning about the 750? Still want it? (JK) - and BTW who was that l'il lady you had with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny77423
Sorry I missed that... I probably could have seen it from my porch if I'd have been home...
Ah-hah! So if you really do live that close, then just know I'd be glad to sign a petition to the local county administration to put up a yellow warning sign; "CAUTION: BEWARE OF BIKES IN DITCH"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
, sorry to hear about your crash.
Fwiw, next time you're riding and have an oh moment, slow down. It's probably a good indication you're riding over your head.
Hope you get to feeling beter and let me know if I can help with anything.
I openly admit I was riding waaay over my skill level. Regrets aren't my thing. I sure would love to share my experiences and hope to help other new riders keep it rubber side down.

Geez, and to think I just had you guys put new tires on there. They did great, and are one of the few things still new-looking left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner12
I love going down....oh wait we're not talking about the same thing
ROFL - yeah, sometimes going down isn't so bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6gal
I have a love hate relationship with this post. Love the reenactment. Hate what happened. Glad your ok!
So... I guess this means you really are real?

JK - couldn't resist. Thx for the support

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlurch
Sorry to hear about the ditch; glad to hear you got away with it more or less unharmed. You'll be sore today.

Classic example of "choose your group wisely" and "ride your own ride".

If you ever get that "over my head feeling" slow down.
If the group you are with is pressuring you to go too fast, find another group.

Peer pressure sucks... you may feel like you are pressured while they may not feel like they are pushing you... but it's your right wrist.

When you get back on the bike and want some pointers hit me up.
I don't blame the group. Actually I don't blame anyone, including myself. I chose to ride the speed I did; I could have put on my flashers or something. I've been telling myself that I ride like an idiot far too often, what with my tendency to slalom cars at triple digits and all. If I've doomed myself to go down, I really couldn't have asked for better. Casual Sunday ride, didn't catch any asphalt. Now I have an experience I can share, and hopefully make the world for noobs on crotch-rockets a better place.

And yes, I plan on seeking out experienced riders willing to share their wealth of knowledge as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Oliveira
Dude your a really good writer. Lol holyshit, do you work for a newspaper or something?
I used to. I'd use the phone booth down the street to change into clothes for my second job, but now all the phone booths are gone. PM me and I'll give you a good deal on an ugly spandex supersuit.

@ ST675 - Dude! You did the B12 swap on a Kat?! OMG I'm soo your new best friend. Just be careful, as I may be harboring a buried jealousy.

I'll have to call the insurance about repairs; there's no way I can do this myself. What few pieces of fairing I have left are all cracked; the headers seem ok and although the can is bent I think the exhaust just needs to be bent back into shape but is otherwise usable. We'll talk later

@ TomballD & Hauser - yup, now I know it's true what they say - everyone takes a fall eventually. Glad to have gotten the "initiation" out of the way. I've learned more in ten seconds than I have in the past ten months. Nothing's guaranteed but I stand a much better chance of keeping it rubber side down from here on out.

And yes, I actually *am* glad it was "just a Katana". Bought an inexpensive bike because I knew it was training wheels. Now that I'm experienced, can someone let me borrow their CBR-1000?

@ booger - I only crushed the pack in my pants pocket. The ones under my armored jacket were fine. Perhaps this could be a selling point for the Harley-riding eternal squids: leather jackets help protect you cigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo
someone in the video is dissing a Ducati rider for his slow speed
No kidding. I mean, probably just some kid more concerned with looking good on his expensive import than someone really interested in riding that bike the way it was meant to be ridden.

Oh boy, I'm gonna catch for that one. To you on the Ducati - chill, I was just kidding. Bevo, yes I took your quote out of context. I gotta bad sense of humor.

and hey dude, you weren't what I expected. That was a pretty sweet riding suit you had on; I appreciate your safety-conscious mindset & leadership w/in the group. Hope to ride with you again soon.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

and one last thing...

This is for all the cruisers who rode right past and hardly gave a glance. I don't care what you ride, bikers watch out for one another. I wouldn't have ridden past you if I saw you sprawled out in a ditch. I know there's frequently contempt between the cruisers and the sportbikes but it's supposed to be lighthearted. Anyhoo enough of the rant. Laters.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #48
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Bart is alive and well! LOL! Glad to see you are keeping it all in perspective and with a good dose of humor.... heal up and get back on the horse... I'm sure Bevo will let you jump on the ol' CBR as soon as you are back on your game...
Old 03-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #49
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #50
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Katana is a good girl to learn on. People forget that in the 90's there were folks endurance racing the first gen 600's. Get her cleaned up and take her to the track. You'll have more fun than .... ok, well, at least it lasts longer. Glad you made it out OK. I had a learning moment in the national forest 10 years ago, chasing a fast group with another novice, and I ended up with 2 broken ribs. It's always good to ride your own pace.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #51
omer
SMR

Bike(s):
2010 r1
2009 CBR1000RR
2006 GSXR600
2008 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
and one last thing...

This is for all the cruisers who rode right past and hardly gave a glance. I don't care what you ride, bikers watch out for one another. I wouldn't have ridden past you if I saw you sprawled out in a ditch. I know there's frequently contempt between the cruisers and the sportbikes but it's supposed to be lighthearted. Anyhoo enough of the rant. Laters.
there was one that did stop and hellp.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #52
Big_E
2011 Suzuki M109r

Bike(s):
2011 Suzuki M109r

Quote:

Hmm, hadn't thought about that. Now that's a compliment. Remember talking to me in the morning about the 750? Still want it? (JK) - and BTW who was that l'il lady you had with you?
That was my Daughter!!!

13 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER to be exact...

That is what happens to Males that speak to her at this point!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #53
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:

Not unless you want to dine with a crippled cager.

With 2 jobs, hitting a trackday would be a challenge. I'd love to do this, not because I want to be a racer but simply to learn correct riding position - now that I'm so acutely aware of the fact that there is such a thing. Ultimately I want something faster and more agile (yes that's right, the guy who crashed into a ditch is expressing desire for a more dangerous bike, less than 24 hours later... I'm just not a shining example of sanity, am I?)

I'm honored to have met Mr. Bike-Of-The-Month live and in person. There were several people involved in pulling my Katana out of the mud, turning it on etc; plus I was kinda dingy, so I don't remember most names and only a few faces. But yes I remember that water... mighty refreshing. Made a nice chaser to wash down that shot of ditch.

Ah-hah! So if you really do live that close, then just know I'd be glad to sign a petition to the local county administration to put up a yellow warning sign; "CAUTION: BEWARE OF BIKES IN DITCH"

I openly admit I was riding waaay over my skill level. Regrets aren't my thing. I sure would love to share my experiences and hope to help other new riders keep it rubber side down.

Geez, and to think I just had you guys put new tires on there. They did great, and are one of the few things still new-looking left.

ROFL - yeah, sometimes going down isn't so bad

So... I guess this means you really are real?

JK - couldn't resist. Thx for the support

I don't blame the group. Actually I don't blame anyone, including myself. I chose to ride the speed I did; I could have put on my flashers or something. I've been telling myself that I ride like an idiot far too often, what with my tendency to slalom cars at triple digits and all. If I've doomed myself to go down, I really couldn't have asked for better. Casual Sunday ride, didn't catch any asphalt. Now I have an experience I can share, and hopefully make the world for noobs on crotch-rockets a better place.

And yes, I plan on seeking out experienced riders willing to share their wealth of knowledge as well.

I used to. I'd use the phone booth down the street to change into clothes for my second job, but now all the phone booths are gone. PM me and I'll give you a good deal on an ugly spandex supersuit.

@ ST675 - Dude! You did the B12 swap on a Kat?! OMG I'm soo your new best friend. Just be careful, as I may be harboring a buried jealousy.

I'll have to call the insurance about repairs; there's no way I can do this myself. What few pieces of fairing I have left are all cracked; the headers seem ok and although the can is bent I think the exhaust just needs to be bent back into shape but is otherwise usable. We'll talk later

@ TomballD & Hauser - yup, now I know it's true what they say - everyone takes a fall eventually. Glad to have gotten the "initiation" out of the way. I've learned more in ten seconds than I have in the past ten months. Nothing's guaranteed but I stand a much better chance of keeping it rubber side down from here on out.

And yes, I actually *am* glad it was "just a Katana". Bought an inexpensive bike because I knew it was training wheels. Now that I'm experienced, can someone let me borrow their CBR-1000?

@ booger - I only crushed the pack in my pants pocket. The ones under my armored jacket were fine. Perhaps this could be a selling point for the Harley-riding eternal squids: leather jackets help protect you cigs.

No kidding. I mean, probably just some kid more concerned with looking good on his expensive import than someone really interested in riding that bike the way it was meant to be ridden.

Oh boy, I'm gonna catch for that one. To you on the Ducati - chill, I was just kidding. Bevo, yes I took your quote out of context. I gotta bad sense of humor.

and hey dude, you weren't what I expected. That was a pretty sweet riding suit you had on; I appreciate your safety-conscious mindset & leadership w/in the group. Hope to ride with you again soon.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

and one last thing...

I think your write up about the accident was really good and interesting!

Whenever you get back on 2 wheels i will be happy to teach you how to take those turns more comfortably at a higher pace
Old 03-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #54
Bart
Thread killer

Bike(s):
2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
That was my Daughter!!!

13 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER to be exact...

That is what happens to Males that speak to her at this point!!!
Hence my use of the phrase "l'il lady". You're both kinda ageless in looks but the way she stood quietly behind you indicated a parental relationship. Hope y'all had a good drive.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #55
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
I think your write up about the accident was really good and interesting!

Whenever you get back on 2 wheels i will be happy to teach you how to take those turns more comfortably at a higher pace
He said he was riding over his head, shouldn't he learn them at a slower, smoother pace? Then translate those skills to a faster pace?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #56
omer
SMR

Bike(s):
2010 r1
2009 CBR1000RR
2006 GSXR600
2008 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
He said he was riding over his head, shouldn't he learn them at a slower, smoother pace? Then translate those skills to a faster pace?

i even told him to take it at his own pace till he get's used to it.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #57
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Rather than learning those particular curves at higher speeds, how about learning the basics so they can be applied to all the fun roads?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #58
Bart
Thread killer

Bike(s):
2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Werd. I'm still working on the plan. First I heal. Then I get the Kat fixed. Then I take it super-easy, to reassure myself that I'm not afraid of motorcycles.

Then I focus on learning good riding techniques, starting with the basics. I'm still hooked; I love speed and power. I ultimately plan on a 3-bike collection: keep the Kat (Katana) for a mod bike, 2nd get something relatively quick with great handling (CBR-600?)... and yes a cruiser. Those lone country backroads can be relished in more ways than one.

'Til then I'm just stuck at home, hobbling and bored outta my skull.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #59
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

The key word was "comfortably" i have helped many slower riders to gradually pick up the pace at their own comfort level!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #60
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
The key word was "comfortably" i have helped many slower riders to gradually pick up the pace at their own comfort level!
Ahh. So what you meant to say is:

"i will be happy to teach you how to take those turns more comfortably at your own pace, so you can gradually get faster."

Advertisement