MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Bart
Thread killer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

tastiest ditch ever

I went down today - just wanted to post details for the curious, and give big thanks to all those who stayed & helped.

I've been going for breakfast every week, and trying to get some others to show. Today there was a ride starting nearby, shortly before I was to make my regularly sheduled appearance. So I showed up w/ NewRider's group off 99/Fry, hoping to meet with them later. Then I went and ate.

Since nobody showed up (as usual) I garfed down the grub and bailed @ 10:30. I made a bee-line for Brookshire, since that's where this infamous "Racer's Road" I've heard about is. Took a while to reach 359, but that's mute.

I see a gas station on the right with a good dozen sportbikes there. I didn't see any bikes I recognized from this morning. I didn't think it was an MH group so I thought I'd introduce myself to some strangers and ask what group they rode with... I introduced myself to one guy, and he asked about how my breakfast meeting was going - hooray! - another group from MotoHouston. This was Omar.

He said they were taking loops up and back RR; I knew that the group I was looking to meet back up with would be taking that route at some point, so good sign. That and I just wanted to see what this infamous road was all about. Mostly I just wanted to head to F'ville to get back with the original group.

So I'm taking my first lap up. A truck got inbetween me and the riders ahead of me, and no riders behind. I got to a light and thought they'd gone straight but wasn't sure. So (truck turned) I head straight, zipping along as fast as I was comfortable on a road I didn't know. Those who had been only a carlength in front of me weren't to be seen. So I just keep going. Nearly ate it on some turns. Then I see a bike waaaayy back there in the mirror, and .00002 seconds later I'm getting passed at like a gazillion miles per hour. So that's why they call it Racer's Road.

A few more bikes passed not quite as fast. I actually started to catch up with some at one point, then realize that everyone's stopped and congregated just past a bridge. Peer pressure, I stop too. They bust a U-ie and head back, what the h#ll, I'll take one more up-and-back and then to Fayettville I go.

I'm going along trying to remember everything I've seen in track-training videos. Shift to the side of the seat, put your body weight into the turn, keep your helmet past the edge of the windscreen on the inside. I was going too fast and riding well beyond my skill level and knew it. Sure was fun though.

I make it back near the starting point, U-ie again, and head for the 3rd and Final Round of Highway Happyface. I was focused more on practicing body position than speeding (thankfully!). Problem is I seemed to be holding people up. I'm all over the lane, other bikes are coming up fast behind me, waiting through curves then rocketing past. I was afraid I'd park it on a curve and cause an accident, so I tried to keep my speed up.

AND NOW FOR THE GOOD PART

On inside turns I'm doing good; outside turns I keep drifting wide but I was getting better. Somewhere on an S-curve the road seemed like it was straightening but then went left. I didn't start to lean in soon enough, I shot wide... into the barely-2-feet-wide shoulder...

I leaned a tad harder but I was pretty convinced I wouldn't make it. I touched the grass and it was all over.
My thoughts:

- SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!

- Oh boy, people are gonna stop and I'm going to be embarrased, wish I wasn't on a popular road

- Dude, you idiot, you may need help - you DO want people to stop

Bike hops, and goes sliding on left side Hmm, is this a low-side, right? No... yeah... I didn't flip over the top of it only to get nailed by my own bike, so must be a low-side. How does the rule go? Low-side bad, high-side worse? Well this sucks.

- So much for hoping I'd stay upright. Hopefully I'll still be able to get up and ride.

Not sure how I got dislodged from the bike. I think I pretty much slid off the back of the seat. When it fell over I knew I didn't want to have my leg crushed, so I kinda pushed off the back. I think. Probably one helluva smart reaction looking back on it.

The bike's leading the path; when I could lift my head enough to see, I saw my gas tank maybe a foot in front of me. I'm past the smooth part, and into the ditch. I'm hitting lumpy spots (and rocks?), and doing various pretzel positions (against my will, I assure you). The bikes hitting things and flipping over goodness-knows how many ways.

- OK this really IS bad. Most likely the bike will come to a stop and I'm gonna slide right into it and dat gunna hurt way more than the lumps and rock. Nooo.... my ride's flippin and catchin air; either it's gonna come down on top of me, or I'm gonna smack into and do airborne pretzels while the mangled remains of my limbs are attached to a 500-lb wrecking ball.

Thank I'm wearing a helmet
and an armored leather jacket
and gloves
wish I had riding pants
and something else... shoes, wish I had some riding boots
but thank I'm wearing a helmet

Finally I stop. Bike's down a ways, I don't think I made contact with it. It dawned on me that I was still in one piece, nothing on me was hurting bad enough be be broken.

- Holy (bad word), holy (profanity), holy (can't think up any more curse words right now, so let's finish the f*ckin thought...) ... ... ... I'm going to be able to stand up and walk away from this. The bike is demolished and I'm not. I'll bother with the whole stress thing in a minute, let's take a moment to celebrate this bit of relatively good news.

- Wait a minute, when people crash, aren't they supposed to get disoriented and worry more about their bike? Ok let's take a minute for tradition. AAAAGH! My bike! My black, 500-pound, four-year-old girlfriend... on two wheels...
oh wait I can't see it. Guess I better stand up first.

So I try to stand, and that just wasn't happening. My right leg could support a little weight, but I figured someone would be along in a minute - just wait until I have a shoulder to lean on. Hmm, I seem to have sprained my wrist too. And what's this feeling in my side? Let's see, that would be... pain. D@mn. This sucks.

Eventually I managed to roll over and sit. From there it wasn't but just a few seconds before I heard sportbike engines slowing down. All I wanted was a cigarette, and first I had to take off the gear, but I was shaking and couldn't remember if I should take off the helmet first or the gloves, because it's hard to take off one when wearing the other. And there's a whole crowd of people, asking questions... no I don't need an ambulance, I'm pretty sure, but thanks for asking. I find my pack in my jeans pocket. The packs twisted completely. There's one left and it's broken in two places. Found the other pack in my jacket pocket... ok I know this doesn't seem important to anyone else, but I really wanted to look cool right about then, and therefore wanted my status-smoke.

Someone pulled the key out of the ignition and handed it to me. Couple guys pulled my bike out of the ditch. Someone wanted to see if it would still start, and asked for my key. So I pass the key to the person to my left, who tosses it to one of the guys near my bike, who fails to catch it and now my key's lost in the high grass on the other side of a fence. No wait, he found it. It wouldn't start at all, not a sound. Someone said something about the fuel being cut off. And - viola! - cranked up and sounded fine. People really wanted me to ride it back. There's no way I was going to ride, none. Someone rode my bike back to the gas station, others were gathering fairings and mirrors, I rode 2-up with someone else.

From there, that's about it. I called my boss; he has a trailer. I called my Mom, she lives in Katy. There was a crowd that must have stayed for I'm guessing 45 mins or so, and I can't thank them enough.

The Katana - what's left of it - is in the garage. I went to the hospital (I know when it's pointless to argue with my Mother). They told me what I already knew. Nothing's broken, hot showers for muscle cramps, ice for the swollen parts. Put neosporin on it. At least I don't have to worry about having to call my boss on Monday, I'm sure I'll be out most/all week.

I'll call the insurance to see what's covered, but I doubt I'll be riding for a while. I'm not discouraged, thankfully; I look forward to riding again. 'Til then, thanks for checking out my novel... peace.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

A brief apology to NewRider, Bevo and all others in that group. Meeting up for a ride, and then not actually going on that ride is kinda rude. Sure wish I would have just skipped my bs breakfast thing and just gone.

And a HUUUGE thanks to everyone who stopped to help. Sorry, I wasn't in "remember names" mode. If you were there, feel free to say so.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beta ditch the bags craigntx General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 08-18-2015 12:37 PM
Rider in the ditch on 149 :-/ TREE General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 03-30-2013 06:36 PM
Came up on a rider who went in ditch! Grim_Reaper General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 03-23-2012 06:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
First off, this is probably the funniest crash thread I've ever seen! Sorry you went down though. I didn't even know that was you that pulled up at HEB. I ride that green and white Ninja you parked next to.

Aaaaaaaand, I guess this means I won't be meeting you up for breakfast next weekend. =/
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

WOW good thing you are alright. And I am sure this will be mentioned plenty of times but... Bike < You. Bikes are worthless compared to a human life (except thieves)

But either way, that is why we carry insurance, glad to hear everything is all good. and that there was helpful people to help you get your stuff together.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Great write up. Glad its all good.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 600

Member Garage

first i just have to say that i am glad you are ok !!! ive had my wrecks too and its amazing how much you can recall as youre sliding in the road !!!!!

good write up had me laughing in some spots. you should defntly take your big girlfriend to the track at least once
Old 03-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Bart, met you a few times,glad you are OK. I went down on that road as well. Your story was much more eloquent than mine. Good luck and glad your able to write about this. Cheaper than the therapy sessions.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
Street Ninja
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Street Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Glad you are ok. Bikes can be replaced.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Dude, glad you came out alright...
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
sunday_rider

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Hey Bart, so glad to hear you checked into a hospital and everything is fine! The guy that turned your bike on was crazy angel aka grandpa wheelie, i am the guy who got you some water at the station on the bmw. Wish u a speedy recovery!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
Big_E
2011 Suzuki M109r

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2011 Suzuki M109r

:notwo rthy:

Sorry to hear about your ditch, BUT you have a future as a story teller. That should be sent to Cycle World magazine.

Glad your ok!!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
A brief apology to NewRider, Bevo and all others in that group. Meeting up for a ride, and then not actually going on that ride is kinda rude.
Not a problem. It's pretty common for MH peeps to show up at a meet spot just to say

Good luck to you
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #13
NICKR1
I eat my r1

Feedback Rating: (4)

glad you are ok man!
NICKR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

Sorry I missed that... I probably could have seen it from my porch if I'd have been home... I was the noisy, blue rocket headed the other direction (towards Katy) when you guys were going towards the bridge...

When you get back on your bike... follow Beevo like a fat kid follows a donut truck... that guy knows every single crack in the pavement on Racer's Road and he knows how to set up to the turns... I LIVE on that highway and I still learned a few things from watching him.

Next time you're out this way, give me a shout... we can go on a day when it's not crowded (like any afternoon during the week) and you can get a feel for it without feeling like you're being pressured to go faster ... and then afterward the lemonade is on me...

Feel Better Soon...

Johnny

PS... if it's any consolation... I got hit by a drunk driver 2 years ago, and was back on my bike in 3 months... you won't be down long.
Johnny77423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #15
Johnny77423
Obnoxiously Loud Guy

Bike(s):
Scooter
Moped
Tricycle
rzr

is this officially better than my "I almost hit a cow today" story??? BWAH!!!!!
Johnny77423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #16
Iceman.

Bike(s):
07 ZZR 600

glad you came out alright...
Iceman. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #17
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

pix or ban.

JK, glad you are alive to joke about it!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #18
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
pix or ban.

JK, glad you are alive to joke about it!
video posted here:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...=174209&page=4
Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #19
crazivi3tdude
Commander in Chief !!!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Mongoose
C
B
R

Send a message via AIM to crazivi3tdude
Dude that was epic!!!

Wish I was there.

Yes! my name is Ninja!!!
crazivi3tdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #20
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

, sorry to hear about your crash.
Fwiw, next time you're riding and have an oh moment, slow down. It's probably a good indication you're riding over your head.
Hope you get to feeling beter and let me know if I can help with anything.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement