MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Jefe

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'12 Haro Flightline 29er
'09 R6 (sold)
'07 V-Star 1100 Custom (sold)
'01 F4i (sold)

When buying a new bike.......

When buying a new bike, are the freight and set up fees negotiable?

I know a guy that use to sell bikes (in the Houston area), who says they are negotiable. He mentioned that it's not the consumers responsibility to pay for freight or set-up. Want to know how true this is before going out shopping this weekend.

Thanks.
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bike buying houstonman27 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 09-13-2013 03:31 PM
Buying new bike? j_e_hurst General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-24-2013 09:40 AM
Buying a bike- Need some help sik9 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 03-28-2012 09:07 PM
Buying a new bike bttran General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 04-28-2011 06:27 PM
buying a bike manitzchris General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 12-31-2007 09:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

I paid $500 for delivery and assembly of my 675.

They "took" it off, but I'm more than sure they made money in other places. Dealers are in business to make money and let you think you got a good deal off them.

You're buying a NEW bike anyway. Just like a car, you're going to pay more than you should 90% of the time.

What's $500 when you're spending 12K.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
When buying a new bike, are the freight and set up fees negotiable?

I know a guy that use to sell bikes (in the Houston area), who says they are negotiable. He mentioned that it's not the consumers responsibility to pay for freight or set-up. Want to know how true this is before going out shopping this weekend.

Thanks.
I'd go see Carlos at Mancuso SW. He is the GM over there. Stand up guy, honest, rides the streets, races, etc. Truly an enthusiast like us.

And yes..they are negotiable and can sometimes be removed all together.

www.tmpsw.com
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I'd go see Carlos at Mancuso SW. He is the GM over there. Stand up guy, honest, rides the streets, races, etc. Truly an enthusiast like us.

www.tmpsw.com
Carlos is the MAN
Old 03-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
theDINGO

Bike(s):
2009 R6

i bought my bike brand new off the floor but since it was an 09 and the 10's were out i didnt pay any of that. so i would say yes, just keep at it and see if you can get it off or if you can get freebies (sliders, spools, tank pad, free oil change or first serivce) to help off set the price
Old 03-05-2011, 12:14 AM   #6
Jefe

Bike(s):
'12 Haro Flightline 29er
'09 R6 (sold)
'01 F4i (sold)

I went to Mancuso SW, but didn't talk to Carlos, I spoke with one of his sales guys. I brought it up, and he said those fees are standard and can not be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDINGO View Post
just keep at it and see if you can get it off or if you can get freebies (sliders, spools, tank pad, free oil change or first serivce) to help off set the price
^ that's a good idea. I'll remember that.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Jefe

Bike(s):
'12 Haro Flightline 29er
'09 R6 (sold)
'01 F4i (sold)

Is there a way I can find out the 'cost' price of a bike?

It adds up when they nickel & dime you. Just want to be prepared.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
Alleykat

Experience: 4 years

Quote:

www.tmpsw.com
Looks like they are about to be a Ducati dealer too.
Alleykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
The Black Sheepdog
Derp

Bike(s):
09 600RA
06 F4i
fiddy

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to The Black Sheepdog
Quote:
This. I did not pay a dime for freight and setup. Mancuso has to make a certain amount over their cost, and I paid exactly that. Period.

If you're looking for a Honda/Suzuki/CanAm and want to go to Mancuso, lmk and I can help you out.

Quote:
I went to Mancuso SW, but didn't talk to Carlos, I spoke with one of his sales guys. I brought it up, and he said those fees are standard and can not be changed.

Fail.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
Jefe

Bike(s):
'12 Haro Flightline 29er
'09 R6 (sold)
'01 F4i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Sheepdog View Post

If you're looking for a Honda/Suzuki/CanAm and want to go to Mancuso, lmk and I can help you out.
Looking at Yamaha, but not necessarily at Mancuso. Whomever has the best deal. If you can help me out, that would be great.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Looking at Yamaha, but not necessarily at Mancuso. Whomever has the best deal. If you can help me out, that would be great.
The best deal will depend on your negotiation skills. I can see from your avatar that you come from Monterrey, Mexicans aren't use to haggle on prices but, if you want a good deal here, you will need to.

Once the dealer gives you all the BS about this and that fee, ask for an out the door price, and then tell him what you want to pay for the bike. Start moving up from there. Remeber the seller earns money on the price you pay, so the more you pay, the more they earn on comission.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
Jefe

Bike(s):
'12 Haro Flightline 29er
'09 R6 (sold)
'01 F4i (sold)

Irak, I am Mexican, but I'm actually from Chicago, I'm just a soccer fan who follows that team. I'm pretty good at negotiating when purchasing cars/trucks. Just thought this would be a bit different., but I do appreciate the advise. I just didn't know if the fees were negotiable, now I know that they are......

Thanks.

GO RAYADOS!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
used to work at stubbs. talked with several salesmen. charging a customer frieght is complete and total bullshit. salesmen eventually got cause stubbs wasnt paying the salesmen any kind of commision for the extra bs frieght charges they were milking out of customers. go ahead ask any salesmen if its negotiable...of course he is going to say no. derrr. they are. its like charging an extra $100 for floormats in a car that has them from the factory. same for assembly. its included in the MSRP, and the factory actually pays the dealerships to do it. i know because i used to do assembly at a dealer and the service manager told me we got paid by the factory for it. (this may not be the same for all factories, but im reasonably sure its standard practice.)

ive youve ever paid assembly, you got . if youve paid freight you got royally .

as for knowing what the dealer actually pays, that is a much harder mystery to figure out. for example a dealer may pay $5000 for a bike....on the invoice. curious eys can see this, or salesmen, or ex-salesmen can tell their friends. it gets around...but sometimes there is something called a dealer holdback, or factory holdback. the dealer may get a $1500 check from the factory a few months later (its like a rebate basicly) this helps to hide the costs from people who want to know.

there are all kinds of other variables. the dealership might not own any of the bikes at all. they may all be owned by the factory and they have an agreement with the dealership to display x number of bikes on the floor, or let them keep x number in their warehouse. its mutually beneficial for the factory and dealer to do this, as they both will sell more units this way...but who is paying who for the convienance? who knows...in some cases there may be standards, or it may depend on who does the negotiating between those two.

my advice, dont trust the stealership. dont let them handle your financing, always go through a credit union or something else, and negotiate in final OTD price only. play the dealers against each other, and make them basicly see who will go the lowest. use the same tactics they do. get your hardball ww2 vet grandpa who doesnt take off anyone go in there and negotiate. have your big tittied girlfriend there to keep them distracted while you are at it, lol.

i can tell you one perk that sales people are always willing to give is a good deal on accesories and gear when you buy. talk to them about that, you can usually get anything the parts deptartment has or can order for just a bit over their cost, usually about 40% off retail. good time to buy a shoei, exhaust system, etc...or even just a basic jacket and helmet.

here is something else you can negotiate on, and maybe get a break. service agreements. sales departments will do alot of at cost for you, just to close the deal. especially when its other departments at the dealership losing the profits, lol. call the service department some random day. dont tell them you are looking at buying a bike. say you allready have the bike you want, and ask them how much is the first service and the second service. when you are at the closing table, see if you can get that lowered as part of the deal. GET IT IN WRITING AND GET A COPY! you can save a bundle there too, and those services are pretty good to have done anyways.

hate these that want to charge you for like floormats. flip the script on these hoes and leave that mother with a free t-shirt and key chain!!!

Advertisement