MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
wesleh

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 R6

bad gas

i just recently bought a 2007 honda shadow spirit 750, i only ride about 5 miles a day. i know gas can go bad in about two weeks or so. Since i dont ride that often will the gas go bad even though im riding it 5 miles a day? should i put some stabilizer just in case? what do ya think? thanks
wesleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When does gas go bad? clinttoney General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 06-21-2012 12:54 PM
bean soup=bad gas MudBug Off Topic 3 01-15-2009 07:26 AM
Are motorcycles more sensitive than cars to bad gas? bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 01-14-2009 11:39 AM
BAD GAS?!?! JRxGRUBZx General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 12-01-2008 12:13 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Data I have seen shows todays gas degrading pretty quickly. I would say 3 weeks based on what I have been reading. My mower will still run on last summers gas though. It wouldn't hurt at all to use some Sea Foam or a similar product. The Amsoil guy will chime in soon and recommend a product too.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
houstonbilly
Banned

User is banned

houstonbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by w3sl3h View Post
i just recently bought a 2007 honda shadow spirit 750, i only ride about 5 miles a day. i know gas can go bad in about two weeks or so. Since i dont ride that often will the gas go bad even though im riding it 5 miles a day? should i put some stabilizer just in case? what do ya think? thanks
I think you should give me the bike and let me ride it for you...
Old 03-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
wesleh

Bike(s):
08 R6

haha possibly but when i took it to Motorcycles Unlimited for free inspection they said the idle is still a bit off due to it sitting for too long, carbs were cleaned out before i bought the bike but didnt do a very good job. didnt want it to get worse thats all
Old 03-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
thieves

Clicked on thread...not what I expected. Title was misleading. Leaving now to go fart somewhere else.
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
houstonbilly
Banned

User is banned

houstonbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
jakeg

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Ride Moar.
jakeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
Jefe

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'12 Haro Flightline 29er
'09 R6 (sold)
'07 V-Star 1100 Custom (sold)
'01 F4i (sold)

Reclean the carbs thoroughly. I went through this last spring, and after a carb flush/ clean, it rode like a champ.
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
rkl56119

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 Suzuki M50
2006 Honda Rebel (SOLD)

I've had really good experience with Seafoam. Wally World has the cheapest price if you can find it in stock. Use only 1 oz per gallon but you can put more in there and it should help clean out the carbs.
rkl56119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
The water/ethanol separates from the gas and floats. When the tank of gas gets low the separation will allow the bike to idle and run when its warm but will clog the carbs when cold and cause oxydation.

Fuel w high ethanol rating can begin to separate within 2 days.

I regularly test and find upwards of 25% ethanol gas in BMWs from non-top tier gas stations.

Seafoam is a strong detergant, recommended to be added w gasoline to clean out deposits before they become an issue.

Stabil is designed to prevent separation by homogenizing the gasoline if you need the bike to sit wo operation. Read the instructions on the back, run the bike w the Stabil and drain the carb bowls as recommended before putting the vehicle up.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeg View Post
Ride Moar.
This

and go through the carbs again
Old 03-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
The water/ethanol separates from the gas and floats. When the tank of gas gets low the separation will allow the bike to idle and run when its warm but will clog the carbs when cold and cause oxydation.

I regularly test and find upwards of 25% ethanol gas in BMWs from non-top tier gas stations.

Seafoam is a strong detergant, recommended to be added w gasoline to clean out deposits before they become an issue.

Stabil is designed to prevent separation by homogenizing the gasoline if you need the bike to sit wo operation. Read the instructions on the back, run the bike w the Stabil and drain the carb bowls as recommended before putting the vehicle up.
Think what that 25% is doing to milage. It 50% ethanol than gas to make the same amount of energy. Engines could run lean on that much corn.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
The last 25% ethanol vehicle was a 2010 535i(twin turbo) with no check engine light and rough running cold start. At idle operating temperature I could still fill the partial misfire.

For a vehicle w that type of electronics and control, ALOT can be patched by the DME. To be running as it were fuel was a my first priority for diagnosis.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post

The varnish left by ethanol can wreak havoc on your carbs. The low speed jets are usually affected first. If they're clogged, your bike will be hard to start, and if it gets bad enough, will only run with the choke on.

If the gasoline in your tank has already begun to separate, starting it for a few minutes or riding it around the block every once in awhile won't do any good. The gas you're starting it on has separated, and when it dries in the carbs, it leaves varnish. This is first-hand experience. The guy I bought my bike from let it sit and would start it occasionally. It had the same tank of gas in it for over a year. When I got it...let's just say it needed a little TLC.

I read an article (I will try to find it again) that said riding your bike for less than 10 miles doesn't let it warm up enough to burn off the condensation created on startup. Not sure about the veracity of that, but it makes sense.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I had to rebuild the carbs in my boat twice after only sitting for a month each time.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #17
wesleh

Bike(s):
08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
The varnish left by ethanol can wreak havoc on your carbs. The low speed jets are usually affected first. If they're clogged, your bike will be hard to start, and if it gets bad enough, will only run with the choke on.

If the gasoline in your tank has already begun to separate, starting it for a few minutes or riding it around the block every once in awhile won't do any good. The gas you're starting it on has separated, and when it dries in the carbs, it leaves varnish. This is first-hand experience. The guy I bought my bike from let it sit and would start it occasionally. It had the same tank of gas in it for over a year. When I got it...let's just say it needed a little TLC.

I read an article (I will try to find it again) that said riding your bike for less than 10 miles doesn't let it warm up enough to burn off the condensation created on startup. Not sure about the veracity of that, but it makes sense.
i needa ride moooar! lol

Advertisement