MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #61
cdonnelly
The Big Spank Daddy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'96 GPZ1100
'93 750 Nighthawk

How about this economic idea. Sell that huge gas guzzling truck/suv. Buy a cheap economy car with "cash". Now, look at how much you save in just payments and insurance every month. Drive the car and bike 50/50 and do the math. The savings will be a real shock.

For me, I had a new Pontiac Sunfire, payments $350 a month and ins $100 a month. Thats $450 a month for a car I was not driving. It sat in my driveway with a cover on it for weeks at a time. I was riding the bike as much as possible (75%) to save on fuel cost and time commuting.

I sold the car and invested in better water proof/cold gear, tail pack and heated grips. I started riding 100% of the time. The way I figure it I saved about $10K in two years.

I kept an extra change of cloths at the office and I did not wear my office cloths under my gear, folded in my tail back or side bags. When I got to work I changed into my work cloths in the bathroom. When I lost my office job and went back to be a wrench, that was not an issue anymore.
cdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commuting in boot? tunaluna General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 03-10-2013 10:25 AM
Liter bike for commuting Bigchuckie General Discussion (Moto Related) 100 03-16-2012 03:11 PM
Logistics of a rear shock swap.. Fil General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 10-05-2010 08:48 PM
Commuting fecnik General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 09-28-2009 07:45 PM
I'll be commuting on a bike this week nutmegchoi General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 05-02-2007 10:02 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #62
Soclose
Green and Mean

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'05 Suzuki GS500F(sold)
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 650r (sold)
'06 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
I've been riding to school in good weather, but the ride is short and the traffic is light even during rush hour. It is more fun to ride in, even if it is mostly surface streets; also it is 1000x easier to park at UH on a bike.
couldn't say it better myself
Old 03-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #63
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedestech View Post
I've found that I can double the life of a rear if I don't downshift/wind the motor down at every single light.

If I'm coming up to a light where it's obvious I have to stop I'll pull the clutch and leave it in back shifting to the appropriate gear as I slow but leaving the clutch in.

I mean it's literaly doubled the rear life....

I'm with you on that. I'm usually in 2nd or 3rd when I'm approaching a light so just disengaging the clutch, popping it into 2nd, then easing on the front brake makes for a nice gentle stop (on the tires at a minimum).
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #64
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

don't think I could even have gone to UH w/o a bike.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #65
JRxGRUBZx

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
i never commute on 2 wheels because i dont really feel safe specially during rush hour traffic. I have a v8 that sucks at gas mileage but still, it makes me feel a lot safer.
....your not serious are you ??
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #66
JRxGRUBZx

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigntx View Post
i used to have to drive from the nw side and be in stinkadena by 8am which would have me in the worst of the downtown traffic. i made sure i would get through dt by 6:30 to keep from sitting in the . would hang out and drink coffee at mickey d's till time to work.
my 1000 gets prolly over 40 mpg's and has the power i need to get me away from tailgaters or zip thru traffic if i encountered it
thats more like it
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #67
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
don't think I could even have gone to UH w/o a bike.
I didn't know what I was missing the last two years. I swear to that new parking lot has just made things worse.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #68
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Trackdays: 3

I might soon know what it is to do a serious commute, spring to U of H... Unless I decide to move to midtown to make the commute easier
Old 03-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #69
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Midtown to UH is a cinch. Jefferson turns into a spur that leads directly to the campus. There is a similar spur exiting campus then going straight to St. Joseph Parkway.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #70
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
ive commuted on the cruiser, the 250, the ss mid-class, the litre bike..

they all have pro's and con's, the 1000 didnt get much better mpg than my car (~32-35) but was the most comfortable and had plenty of power on the highway, the 250 gets badass mileage but doesnt feel safe on the highway and the mid class is kinda uncomfortable for commuting. the 800cc cruiser was probably the best of them between mileage, comfort and power.. but it hurt my lower back with the forward controls. if it wasnt for that i would go back to riding a cruiser to work every day and just keep the others around for casual rides and track days.

economy cars still have airbags, a/c, windshields, etc.. and manage to get 30 - 38mpg and that's pretty competitive with most decent commuter bikes considering the perks.
I think its more about the love of riding for me. I commute for more than just economics. I ride this r6 to work as much as I can, plus I save on gas more than my truck. I think that its a great way to look forward to going and leaving work. I get to ride almost 4-5 times a week.. It just depends on the time you leave for work too.. It sometimes gets me thru traffic quicker especially when I can go the long way home..
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #71
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Trackdays: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
Midtown to UH is a cinch. Jefferson turns into a spur that leads directly to the campus. There is a similar spur exiting campus then going straight to St. Joseph Parkway.
Oh yea, unless I stay in spring, then it will be more of a serious commute.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #72
Vividkid

I drive less then 3 miles to work. From 1960 and Kyukendahl to Spring Cypress and Kyukendahl, no turns..other then out of my driveway an into the shops driveway; and just that little 3 mile straight line is a bike death trap. The rush hour is f*cking silly. Every time I do take the bike to work I almost die, almost get rear ended, pushed off the road, etc. I wouldnt even consider it for a real 'commute' across town.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #73
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
I am probably the only person that enjoys riding with cars and even in traffic. It's a visceral feeling smelling brake pads, coolant, oil, the sights and sounds of cars nearby. Yes its more dangerous but it's also a learning experience. I would dare say I learned more riding in dangerous traffic than at a trackday.
I like it. I enjoy the ride. When it gets really hot it's less enjoyable, of course, but my office has a relaxed dress code so that's a plus.

The difference between my truck and my bike is about $65/week.

I've used a few different bikes for commuting over the years. From HD's to a GSXR. The DRZ does it the best for me. Makes going to work fun.
Sumo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #74
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtomahawk View Post
Sound like me, I slam my rear brake and slide to a stop, I find it amusing. With street tires sounds like a car locking up the brakes.
My parking spot at work has a blackish 2-3' long strip where I lock the rear the last couple feet...

When I first started riding after almost 20 year hiatus and after racing forever
I was chirping the rear tire on every downshift .... I was only getting
2-3K miles out of a rear before they looked like a brick....

It finaly dawned on me why and I quit it....

Now I am getting 6+K and this last set, Michilen Activ (skinny old man bike tires) I have 10K on the rear and it's just now squaring off really bad, not to the TWI yet but close....

Now I need to do a cost per mile and see if I should replace them with the same....

cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #75
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

I have a 1977 308 GT4. Definitely is cheaper to run on a daily basis (provided no engine downtime) but I can't imagine driving it while I've got a motorcycle right there. Rain does not faze me. My outdoor temp cut off is 20 degrees.

100% motorcycles all the way.
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #76
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphant675r View Post
According to my dash, that's what I get at cruising speed. (65-75mph at around 6kRPM)

My round trip to work each day is 70 miles, I do that 6 days a week. That's 420 miles a week. My tank holds 4 gallons, I fill up twice a week and still have fuel to run errands on sunday.
then you have, singly, the most fuel efficient 600 class supersport in the history of the world. I have never heard of an R bike getting that kind of economy.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #77
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

^ yeah, I'm not buying it either.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #78
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRxGRUBZx View Post
....your not serious are you ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vividkid View Post
I drive less then 3 miles to work. From 1960 and Kyukendahl to Spring Cypress and Kyukendahl, no turns..other then out of my driveway an into the shops driveway; and just that little 3 mile straight line is a bike death trap. The rush hour is f*cking silly. Every time I do take the bike to work I almost die, almost get rear ended, pushed off the road, etc. I wouldnt even consider it for a real 'commute' across town.
If his commute is anythign like this.....yea, he's serious.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #79
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphant675r View Post
I get about 70MPG, and I'm running BT023s. by the time I replace them I will have gotten at least 12k out of them I've been commuting on this bike every day, about 800mi a week, not including joy rides, since july. Honestly I wouldn't have it any other way.
no you don't . I had a 675. you get about 40mpg
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #80
Costas

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to Costas
my bike gets around 35 mpg, my car gets around 33 mpg. not a huge difference between the two. if it's a short trip i rather drive since putting on a jacket, helmet, ear plugs, gloves, boots, and pulling the bike out take around 10 minutes alone. putting on some tennis shoes and jumping in the car takes around 30 seconds.

Advertisement