Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
1973 Honda Cb750 Four -Cafe in progress
2005 CRF50 STUNT - MONSTER ENERGY
2001 Suzuki DRZ400E/SM (SOLD) :-(
Don't worry, scrot. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick- lives.
My first bike was a 'Tard. She's a Pilot now."

Member Garage

"Nanolube" cuts engine friction in 1/2!

I don't think this is a repost but...

Someone shared this pop science article w/ me today:
http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2...tion-more-half

In any contraption with moving parts--automotive engines, industrial machines, a countertop juicer--some degree of energy is lost as heat to friction. That loss can range from the relatively small amount lost by a single juicer, to the collectively huge amount lost each day by, say, all of the cars in the world (or all of the industrial machines used to manufacture them). A new nanotech solution could change that via a new lubrication technology that can cut friction by 55 percent.
Dr. Guojun Liu, a Chemistry professor at Queen’s University, augmented a base automobile engine oils with nanoscale polymer particles just tens of nanometers in size. Tested under simulated conditions mimicking that of the surface metal contact in car engines, these particles were found to reduce friction, and not just by a little. Liu’s nanolube reduced friction--and the energy lost to it--by more than half.

Given the vast applications of metal-on-metal machinery, not just on the road but across the manufacturing industry, in the laboratory, in construction and agricultural equipment, and elsewhere, such a friction-cutting nanolube could put a huge dent in wasted energy. That potential dent is so huge, in fact, that it garnered Liu a Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers' Captain Alfred E. Hunt Memorial Award.

Do you know anyone who has a Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers' Captain Alfred E. Hunt Memorial Award? We didn’t think so.

He nailed the take-off, but when he landed, something terrible happened. His front tire exploded like a cannonball, and his handle bars went straight through his head. Blood was everywhere. His teeth were ground down to a powder, and the front of his face exploded out the back of his skull. He died instantly... the next day.

Last edited by PimpDaub; 03-02-2011 at 12:48 PM.
PimpDaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cars engine hums "we are the champions" less_than_coop Off Topic 3 06-25-2007 10:59 PM
04/05 750 engine swap...."mod" TWISTED METAL How To's and Q & A's 5 04-05-2007 09:19 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

i wonder if it has any other... "applications"...
Old 03-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
GIGGITY!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Didn't they make similar claims about slick 50 back in the day?
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Didn't they make similar claims about slick 50 back in the day?
Yes, and Z-Max and a whole bunch of others...
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Where is the Amsoil guy?
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):

who got oil?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Where is the Amsoil guy?
I fuking thought this was his thread when i saw the title

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

with new "polymers" and catalyst

I asked a carpet salesman that once, he said yes it has those

snake oil I say
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
jcat
Banned

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
06 KLX110 Motard
07 KLX110 Motard Project
92 Z50

User is banned

jcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Grimace

Experience: 6 years

Where you at Patrick?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #12
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

even if it did what it says... i have heard that an oil can be too slick for roller rockers in that there would not be enough friction to make the rollers actually roll and would lead to flat spots. a guy rebuilding my dad's boat engines actually told him that.
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #13
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
even if it did what it says... i have heard that an oil can be too slick for roller rockers in that there would not be enough friction to make the rollers actually roll and would lead to flat spots. a guy rebuilding my dad's boat engines actually told him that.
I would think that flat spots would require friction
Old 03-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
Well in your case it does have "nano" in the title. I say go for it.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
Well in your case it does have "nano" in the title. I say go for it.
FULL OF WIN!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #16
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
I would think that flat spots would require friction
yes, but if a roller is meant to roll and has a smaller contact patch than a flat rocker... then it could develop a flat spot in theory and then if or when it did roll, it wouldn't be consistent
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #17
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

It's horseshit, snake oil call it what you will.

The tolerance between engine parts don't chnage unless items are wore out. the fit of these parts, is where the lubricant flows through.

I wrote the following on another forum I am a memeber of.

There has been a great debate on proper lubrication of certain components so I have come up with a little bit of lubrication tech for those of you that do not know exactly how different lubricants work, motor oil, gear lube, and tranmission fluid. This should help you make a knowledgeable decision when choosing your next lubricant.

Lubrication can be a daunting obstacle to someone unfamiliar with the basic concepts. Even someone with experience can be confused by the technology of current machinery combined with the multitude of lubricants available on the market today. Reviewing a few basic principals of lubrication can make it easier to see why lubrication is necessary in every application.

Friction
Webster’s defines friction as the “the rubbing of one body against another,” and as “resistance to relative motion between two bodies in contact.” Friction can be beneficial. As we overcome this resistance to motion between two objects in contact, heat is generated. This heat is what warms our hands or starts a fire. Friction is also the principal behind the braking systems we find on our automobiles. In fact once we were able to get a car moving, there would be nothing to stop it without friction except the effects of gravity or other objects.

However friction can also be our enemy. The heat generated as a result of friction can cause damage. Because contact is required to cause friction, wear in the areas of contact can occur. This can lead to material failures, overheating, and the formation of wear deposits.

Although there are many ways to reduce friction, the most common way is through the use of a fluid or semi-fluid material. The key characteristic of such material is that they are not readily compressible. Fluid and semi-fluid materials allow us to minimize component contact or eliminate contact altogether. These fluids are commonly referred to as lubricants.

Types of Lubrication
There are three types of lubrication situations that can exist between two surfaces separated by a lubricant. Whether or not these situations occur is dependent on the ability of the lubricant to provide adequate protection to the moving surfaces.

When a fluid lubricant is present between two rolling and or sliding surfaces a thicker pressurized film can be generated by the movements of the surfaces( at their respective velocities). The non compressible nature of this film separates the surfaces and prevents any metal to metal contact. The condition in which surfaces are completely separated by a continuous film of lubricating fluid is commonly referred to as Hydrodynamic or Full Fluid Film lubrication.

Although hydrodynamic lubrication is the ideal lubrication scenario, in many situations it cannot be maintained. Hydrodynamic lubrication is limited by the lubricant’s viscosity, the rotational speed or RPM and by component loading. An increase in load decreases oil film thickness.

Boundary lubrication is a condition in which the lubricant film becomes too thin to provide total surface separation. This may be due to excessive loading, low speeds, or a change in the fluid’s characteristics. In such a case, contact between surface asperities (peaks or valleys0 occurs. Friction reduction and wear protection is then provided via chemical compounds rather than through the properties of the lubricating fluid.

The third type of lubrication situation is known as Elastohyrodynamic Lubrication, (EHD or EHL). This situation occurs as pressure or load increases to a level where the viscosity of the lubricant provides higher shear strength than the metal surface it supports. As a result, the metal surfaces deform elastically in preference to the highly pressurized lubricant. This increases the contact area and decreases the effectiveness of the lubricant.

To minimize friction, an effective lubricant should be able to handle the pressure and speeds of the surface it will separate.

Continued below.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #18
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

Continued

What Every Lubricant Must Do
Though the ability to minimize friction is the number one function of a lubricant, there are other major functions that must be considered. A lubricant is likely to also be required to:

Clean: A lubricant must maintain internal cleanliness by suspending contaminates from adhering to components.

Cool: Reducing friction will reduce the amount of heat that is generated and lower the operating temperature of the components. A lubricant must also absorb heat from the components and transport it to a location where it can be safely dissipated.

Prevent Contamination: The lubricant should act as a dynamic seal in locations such as the piston, piston ring and cylinder contact areas. This minimizes contamination by combustion chamber by products (for example) in the lubricating system. Lubricants are also relied heavily upon to support mechanical seals found elsewhere and to minimize external contamination and fluid loss.

Dampen Shock: The lubricant may be required to cushion the blows of mechanical shock. A lubricant film can absorb and disperse these energy spikes over a broader contact area.

Transfer Energy: A lubricant may be required to act as an energy transfer median as in the case of hydraulic equipment or lifters in an automotive engine.

Prevent Corrosion: A lubricant must also have the ability to prevent or minimize internal component corrosion. This can be accomplished either by chemically neutralizing the corrosive products or by setting up a barrier between the components and corrosive material.

Components of a Lubricant
Lubricants are generally composed of two groups of materials. The first is a base or stock fluid. This fluid will make up 75 to 95 percent of the finished product. The most commonly used stocks today are derived from petroleum crude oil. The stocks are often referred to as mineral or synthetic stocks.

To this, base or stock chemical compounds may be added to enhance or impart new properties to the mineral oil. These compounds are commonly referred to as additives. The use of such special compounds is another way to minimize friction and wear. The main role of these compounds is to offer protection when the lubricating fluid can not maintain component separation.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #19
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

I have studied this for hours on end it's part of my job. What i covered above is just a small part of the basics.

When I get time I will add more about polyalphaolefins, ,Synthetic additives, and EP additives.

The idea that a nanolube, introduced into a base stock oil with increase it's lubrication properties is junk science. A nano anything will not have an improved effect on the hydrodynamic cushioning of the base oil stock, and any overheating could cause thickening, leading to oil starvation, cavatation and possible loss of lubrication, resulting in failure.

I say it's junk science

Last edited by anatram; 03-02-2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling
anatram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #20
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatram View Post
I have studied this for hours on end it's part of my job. What i covered above is just a small part of the basics.

When I get time I will add more about polyalphaolefins, ,Synthetic additives, and EP additives.

The idea that a nanolube, introduced into a base stock oil with increase it's lubrication properties is junk science. A nano anything will not have an improved effect on the hydrodynamic cushioning of the base oil stock, and any overheating could cause thickening, leading to oil starvation, cavatation and possible loss of lubrication, resulting in failure.

I say it's junk science
I'm not by any means saying that you are wrong, but I would very much like to see the chemical structures of this "nano additive" to get an idea of how it would effect the properties of the lubricant mixture under pressure and heat.

Advertisement