MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Senator
Dude....Seriously?
 
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington Ave.
Feedback Rating: (17)
Posts: 5,101

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)






I'm a FAST rider, because I ride....

I'm a FAST rider, because I ride "Insert whatever particular place" fast.
TRUE OR FALSE?

What I mean is, if someone always ride one particular place on the street or track (such as TWS (Texas World Speedway), 149, 3090, RR, MSRH, CRR) and they're fast on this particular piece of asphalt because they know it so well, is it fair to say that they are a fast rider everywhere or in general?

Discuss.
__________________
Bill N.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
W Exploratory ride to Bastrop mod - fast cegusman Events, Meets and Rides 1 01-18-2014 01:35 AM
Fast ride Wednesday 26th.... queenmoka Events, Meets and Rides 48 06-27-2013 09:45 PM
Very very fast rider snapped in Paris Grinchy General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 05-15-2009 07:15 AM
fast lane ride group starting oldman650r General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 09-17-2007 09:50 AM
the importance of learning to ride fast vs. trying on your own RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 06-07-2006 01:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul
 
kibitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Katy, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 10,457

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)







FAST is such a generalized term and completely dependant on the perception of the audience which in turn is subject to experience and skill.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!
 
Higham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 1960
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 447

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600









Would you say John McGuinness is fast?
Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
zerobounds
Captain Concussion
 
zerobounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 5,279

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
70









better riders just need less exposure to that stretch of pavement to get fast times on it, aside from the obvious consistency and skill they have over average riders.
__________________
zerobounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,295

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





I'm a FAST rider, because I ride in the far left lane
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Senator
Dude....Seriously?
 
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington Ave.
Feedback Rating: (17)
Posts: 5,101

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
FAST is such a generalized term and completely dependant on the perception of the audience which in turn is subject to experience and skill.
This.

I think it would be a fun experiment to see someone that normally rides in one place and is very quick, and see if their speed is from memory of the route or reaction.
__________________
Bill N.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!
 
Higham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 1960
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 447

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600









It's from reaction. That's why they have practice sessions. How long does it really take to learn a course.
Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
Senator
Dude....Seriously?
 
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington Ave.
Feedback Rating: (17)
Posts: 5,101

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by Higham View Post
It's from reaction. That's why they have practice sessions. How long does it really take to learn a course.
Longer than you think to get really smooth on the line, and really start shaving some serious time...
__________________
Bill N.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying
 
NewRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston/Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 18,132

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)









True and False...

Fast on that road, but I wouldn't say in general... I guess the only way to know is to take them on another road, give them twice to feel ait out sit back and watch...

I like to think I keep about the same pace in the different places I ride, but of course feel more comfortable in familiar environment...

Like Memorial and Allen Pkwy I would consider myself "fast" there, but then again I'm not challenging anyone or racing. I just do it to see what kinda progress I've made...

Good question though, should make for an interesting thread.

__________________
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/mhnewrider/IvanHalffast_zpsb8fb524d.png

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
triumphant675r
Senior Member
 
triumphant675r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pasadena
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,683

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 Triumph Daytona 675 Triple




Member Garage





I would think it's a combination of reaction and memory. A well rounded rider can keep a decent pace on reaction alone, but once their body/mind get a feel for the lines the pace can increase as they get more comfortable.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
Anyone wear chaps with fishnet shirts? My friends give me for it, but I feel most comfortable this way. Just seeing if anyone else out there feels the same. Also looking for other men interested in riding.
triumphant675r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
green600
HG Chairperson
 
green600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 77045
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 20,191

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1











its all about your time around 610 lol
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!
 
Higham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 1960
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 447

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600









Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Longer than you think to get really smooth on the line, and really start shaving some serious time...
I think that's more to do with building confidence and continuously pushing the limits. A rider with a better reaction/skill can push those limits quicker and in less time.
Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
ileono918
On hiatus
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 6,047

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1











Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
FAST is such a generalized term and completely dependant on the perception of the audience which in turn is subject to experience and skill.
I think I understand the concept you are trying to apply and I kind of agree. However, fast is fast.

Using that concept, someone may be faster than you, that doesn't make him fast though. Per instance, let's say someone runs a 1:55 at TWS (Texas World Speedway), is that fast? No, considering the expert racers are running low to mid 1:4X's. However if you reach the 1:45 mark at TWS (Texas World Speedway), that is fast no matter who you ask.

Take Colin Edwards for example, last year he wasn't top 10 in MotoGp, does that make him slow? Heck no!!!! he is fast.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul
 
kibitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Katy, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 10,457

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)







Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
I think I understand the concept you are trying to apply and I kind of agree. However, fast is fast.

Using that concept, someone may be faster than you, that doesn't make him fast though. Per instance, let's say someone runs a 1:55 at TWS (Texas World Speedway), is that fast? No, considering the expert racers are running low to mid 1:4X's. However if you reach the 1:45 mark at TWS (Texas World Speedway), that is fast no matter who you ask.

Take Colin Edwards for example, last year he wasn't top 10 in MotoGp, does that make him slow? Heck no!!!! he is fast.
Slow compared to the top 10.

Concept still applies.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
Senator
Dude....Seriously?
 
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington Ave.
Feedback Rating: (17)
Posts: 5,101

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
I think I understand the concept you are trying to apply and I kind of agree. However, fast is fast.

Using that concept, someone may be faster than you, that doesn't make him fast though. Per instance, let's say someone runs a 1:55 at TWS (Texas World Speedway), is that fast? No, considering the expert racers are running low to mid 1:4X's. However if you reach the 1:45 mark at TWS (Texas World Speedway), that is fast no matter who you ask.

Take Colin Edwards for example, last year he wasn't top 10 in MotoGp, does that make him slow? Heck no!!!! he is fast.
Irak, I completely agree.
But, I'm thinking more along the lines of, Ty Howard is fast at MSRH (recordholder) would he be a record-holder at Mugello only because we know he's fast at MSRH?
__________________
Bill N.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #16
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN
 
KEITH HUBBARD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: houston \ flatonia
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,489

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50






kinda like golf at your home course , you might shoot in the low 90"s there on a regular basis , but on other courses less played your score would flucuate some.
A rider that rides a regular route \ track will be more familar with the route or track & probably faster on that route , but if the rider has a good reaction time & riding skill he can still be fast on other routes or tracks in a quick learning time.
__________________
Some people call me the space cowboy ,some people call me the gangster of love ...... :nod
KEITH HUBBARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #17
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money
 
cashtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hunt, TX HWY 39
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,955

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E









Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
True and False...


Like Memorial and Allen Pkwy I would consider myself "fast" there, but then again I'm not challenging anyone or racing. I just do it to see what kinda progress I've made...
I'm fast on Kirby!
__________________
freak20brothers



Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying
 
NewRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston/Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 18,132

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)









Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
I'm fast on Kirby!



I guess the better question is, are you a skilled rider because....

Best way to know is to take two riders out of their comfort route and take them to a new one...he who adjusts quicker than the other and is able to be not only faster, but more consistant would be the "faster" or "fast" rider, no?


That or take it to the Track!
__________________
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/mhnewrider/IvanHalffast_zpsb8fb524d.png

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #19
Senator
Dude....Seriously?
 
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington Ave.
Feedback Rating: (17)
Posts: 5,101

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by KEITH HUBBARD View Post
kinda like golf at your home course , you might shoot in the low 90"s there on a regular basis , but on other courses less played your score would flucuate some.
A rider that rides a regular route \ track will be more familar with the route or track & probably faster on that route , but if the rider has a good reaction time & riding skill he can still be fast on other routes or tracks in a quick learning time.
+1
This is a good metaphor.

So it would be fair to say just because you run "X" at a fast pace, doesn't mean you will be fast at "Y"...?
__________________
Bill N.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #20
less_than_coop
SBN BMF
 
less_than_coop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kerr County
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,263

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf








Im slow everywhere.
__________________
"Faster, Faster! Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."--Dr. Hunter S. Thompson.
sausagecreature

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy