MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
albertogti117

Feedback Rating: (1)

2002 Ninja 250 having trouble idleing

So i recently picked up a 2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250 from a buddy of mine. This is my first motorcycle, so needless to say, I don't know a whole lot. He had left it sitting in his garage for a year, so I expected there to be some problems.

The carbs definitely needed cleaning. I took the carbs apart, soaked the parts in Chem-dip and put it all together. After that was done, the bike had trouble cold starting, but once it got warmed up it ran fine. Now, a few days later, the bike doesn't want to start. I keep having to use starter fluid to get it going, and 1/5 times it will idle on its own. The other 4/5 times, it will just die, even with the throttle pinned.

Another problem I've been having is the bike likes to die when I put the clutch in. For example, when I put in the clutch to downshift, I can see the revs drop and the bike die. Most of the time I can just let the clutch out and the bike starts again. But is it normal for bikes to just die when the clutch is in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm still sort of a noob so bare with me
albertogti117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ninja 300 trouble. hondarider77 How To's and Q & A's 8 05-25-2014 08:03 PM
ninja 250 obed General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 07-11-2012 03:00 PM
Anyone with a ninja 250 or a rebel 250 I could borrow/rent? logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 04-12-2011 12:32 PM
sluggish idleing and backfiring Alpinestars102 General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 01-28-2011 01:24 AM
Anyone w/ a Ninja 250...... Slingblade92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-11-2007 07:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
bonez409

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
GS500 sold
gsxr1100w
ninja250r sold
sv650s

#1 don't use starting fluid on a bike. it could over rev and detinate because the rpms go high before oil gets to the cams..... been there don that.
throttle open starting doesn't work to good on a CV carb.

sound like idle problems. even the clutch pull in dieing thing.

so you get to start from the beginning,
#1 is gas in tank.
#2 is fuel petcock open
#3 try to start in neutral full choke no throttle. (with battery fully charged)
(if it doesn't start in 3 sec. wait a minute try again 3 to 4 sec. still no start sniff tail pipe if it smells of pure gas you may want to change the plugs bikes love new plugs. if no smell of gas try maybe two more 3 sec. starts. if no gas smell time to check the carbs.

#1 are they gettting fuel (fuel line pinch)
#2 is the choke cable attached and working.
#3 idle adjustment
if none of that works time to pul the carbs
they could have junk in them from the tank. I dont' know if your bike has a fuel filter in the tank some small bikes don't

these are some of the things I have scrwed up or done to my self.
bonez409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:59 AM   #3
albertogti117

I changed the plugs when I got the bike, I'll pull them and check tomorrow. The petcock is open, I took it apart and the diaphragm appears to be in place and good condition. Choke cable is working. Idle adjustment is currently turned all the way up, still won't idle.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:08 AM   #4
bonez409

Bike(s):
GS500 sold
gsxr1100w
ninja250r sold
sv650s

check out factorypro.com they helped me with my gs500 and my gsxr1100 and my sv650.
sounds like the idle circuit on the carbs is not putting in fuel. as much as I understand there is an idle loop for fuel and air that is adjusted by air and fuel jets to let the bike idle when warm. and the choke on your bike is acually an enrichment loop not a true choke. the tiny jets for the idle get clogged easy.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:10 AM   #5
bonez409

Bike(s):
GS500 sold
gsxr1100w
ninja250r sold
sv650s

if you changed the pluggs they should be fine and that rules them out. having to have the idle all the way open is what makes me think idle jets.
was there a lot of stuff n the carbs when you pulled them. and is the tank clean inside.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:23 AM   #6
kyote

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'01 Ninja 250

Sounds like you need a more thorough carb cleanout.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page

Thank me later. The idle fuel holes are teeny tiny. Try again, just finished mine today. Also shimmed the needles.
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
randomwalk101

Carb cleaning is more than just dipping in fluid. You need to unclog the jets. Iddle prob is prob pilot jets.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Your pilot circuit is still dirty.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
albertogti117

Well I had removed the main jets and ran a metal wire through each of the holes, but I could not figure out how to remove the pilot jets. So it's highly possible that they're still dirty, as you guys said. Can anyone explain to me how to remove the pilot jets? They only stick out a few millimeters and there appears to be no way to take them out.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:44 AM   #10
kyote

Bike(s):
'01 Ninja 250

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Carburetor_photos

Those are the enrichener holes. See here:

800px Inside carb 9
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:51 AM   #11
bonez409

Bike(s):
GS500 sold
gsxr1100w
ninja250r sold
sv650s

Becareful putting anything like a wire in a jet to clean it. the brass is really soft and it doesn't take much to enlarge the jet. I usually use brake clean in every hole it usually clears it right up.
If there is junk in the fuel bowl when you take it back off there may be stuff coming from your tank. you can slip a fuel filter in there to fix that.
Good luck.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
shiftdrift06

Also, try valve adjustment. When I got my bike, it was very hard to start. I crack open the valve cover, and check all the specification on the rocker arms. they were all to tight! loosen them up a bit. Now it starts much better.

Drain the gas. Check for rust in the tank. Clean it good first.

Take apart the fuel peacock and clean that also. Replace worn gaskets. Good time to add inline fuel filter, if yours didn't come with one.

After you clean the carbs, adjust the idle mixture screw (you have to unplug the cover).

Everything is in the DIY part of ninja250.org... Looking into tuning your carbs. Even if you are stock. Every bike is different, tune it to your specs..If you have an exhaust or an intake. ITS A MUST.
shiftdrift06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement