MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
eltejano
I smell pretty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Kansas approves bill making it legal for bikes to run red lights.

Of all states, Kansas passes a law with some common sense. The most backward state in the country passed a common sense law.

Wonder how long til people start abusing it to the point where they repeal it.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...est=latestnews

Quote:
Ever been itching to run a red light that just won't change? Kansas lawmakers think motorcycle riders should be able to do just that.

The Kansas House on Tuesday approved a bill that would allow bikers to run a red light if the signal "fails" to turn green after a "reasonable period of time." The proposal leaves the discretion in the hands of the motorcyclist, but is aimed at ensuring riders don't get trapped in perpetuity at intersections because of signals that either malfunction or don't detect the motorcycles.

Motorcycle riders testified this month that their bikes were often not big or heavy enough to trigger the sensors that cause red lights to switch. For fear that riders would have to choose between being stuck on the Kansas tundra or running a light and risking a ticket, they urged the legislature to approve the so-called "Dead Red" bill giving them a free pass. The riders testifying in support of the bill belonged to a group known as ABATE, or A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments.

"Cars and trucks have no problem with it, but motorcycles have always been an issue," Crawford County Sheriff's Deputy Bob Peters said, according to Fox 14. "You may be on a section or roadway where you may wait for five minutes and there may not be other traffic along to trigger the sensor."

Though Peters supported the bill, it was opposed by Kansas police organizations that want their officers, not motorcycle riders, to have the discretion. One Republican lawmaker unsuccessfully tried to strip the red-light provision, saying, "I see no skeletal remains of motorcyclists sitting at red lights that never change," according to The Wichita Eagle.

The bill passed the House Tuesday as part of a broader road safety package. The other component in the package would prohibit local jurisdictions from imposing extra fines on drivers for seat-belt violations. The bill kept the statewide fine at $5 -- that would eventually rise to $10 or $60 depending on the severity of the violation.

The language in the motorcycle bill also covered bicycle riders.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1F5EVwlve
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proposed Law Would Allow Motorcyclists To Run Some Red Lights Joshua42007 General Discussion (Moto Related) 35 08-12-2011 09:11 PM
Senate Approves Bill to Broaden Wiretap Powers Moody The Circus 1 07-10-2008 04:41 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

I dont agree. There are to many dumb on bikes. I dont want to have to deal with killing a rider who "thought" the intersection was clear.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Good for them.

I'm sure there will be dumb that will abuse it, there ALWAYS is...

Personaly I treat most stop lights and a stop sign if there is no traffic in the
emediate area.

cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
cedestech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japawhat02 View Post
I dont agree. There are to many dumb on bikes. I dont want to have to deal with killing a rider who "thought" the intersection was clear.
I believe that is natural selection.

We don't have enough of it IMHO....

Back in the day, stupid got ate by the bear...

If you can't tell that your actions are going to have NO EFFECT on any traffic
then you kinda have getting ran over in your future, light or not...

Old 02-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Kansas also recently starting drug testing the citizens on government assistance. . .I like what they have going on up there!!!!
jetcycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
ForgottnSoul
MotoMilitia Choosen 9

Bike(s):
2008 Special Edition ZX-14

Member Garage

Hey Hey Hey now i grew up in Kansas........... its not that bad of a place. Though I dont miss the winters and wind gusts...... as for the new law.......... If you have ever been on a bike in the middle of NO WHERE kansas those lights WILL NOT change. So instead of them updating the systems to allow detection of motorcycles I can see why theyd want to pass this law.
ForgottnSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
eltejano
I smell pretty

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgottnSoul View Post
Hey Hey Hey now i grew up in Kansas........... its not that bad of a place. Though I dont miss the winters and wind gusts...... as for the new law.......... If you have ever been on a bike in the middle of NO WHERE kansas those lights WILL NOT change. So instead of them updating the systems to allow detection of motorcycles I can see why theyd want to pass this law.
Except for the bible thumpers, like their senator, that guy Brownback. He lives in a house paid for by some church and he washes his aides feet like Jesus would to his disciples, one wacky religious kook.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

I lived near Wichita, the town did not have any traffic lights only a blinking red at the intersection so not sure how useful that would be.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
Kansas also recently starting drug testing the citizens on government assistance. . .I like what they have going on up there!!!!
now THAT is a winner.
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:29 AM   #10
The Black Sheepdog
Derp

Bike(s):
09 600RA
06 F4i
fiddy

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to The Black Sheepdog
Quote:
Translation: Kansas also recently started drug testing the lazy worthless who expect to receive handouts from tax paying citizens because "da Man keeps us po' folk down".
Old 02-27-2011, 05:25 AM   #11
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
i'm okay with this. they are just making legal what bikers do at every left turn light in america when no cops are looking. ask any law abiding biker with more than 10k road miles on their bike how many times they've sat through 3+ cycles of a traffic light waiting for the left turn light to green. i'll bet 100% of them will say they said it and turned.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
cedestech

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Sheepdog View Post
Translation: Kansas also recently started drug testing the lazy worthless who expect to receive handouts from tax paying citizens because "da Man keeps us po' folk down".
Old 02-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
cedestech

Quote:
Originally Posted by blends View Post
i'm okay with this. they are just making legal what bikers do at every left turn light in america when no cops are looking. ask any law abiding biker with more than 10k road miles on their bike how many times they've sat through 3+ cycles of a traffic light waiting for the left turn light to green. i'll bet 100% of them will say they said it and turned.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
cedestech

And in all actuality, Kansas is smart. It's way cheaper to let bikes turn at a light that won't register them then sending out a road crew to keep the signal in adjustment.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
plummer
dude

Bike(s):
k8 600
k13 600

Quote:
But what if they fail the test? I'll bet there is a "welfare for people who can past a drug test to qualify for welfare" form # LA-Z.
plummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement