MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
pwdbyhrses

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike idling high/overheating

I bought an 01 YZF600R knowing the choke switch broke off...however, I can adjust it manually until I get a new one. Maybe I'm not adjusting it all teh way back to 'normal' as when I stop at a stop light/slow down, the bike idles at 3K RPMS and starts overheating. When I hold the brake and slowly let out the clutch/give it a little gas, it drops the idle back to 1.5K or so.

Ideas on what's causing this? I have a feeling it has something to do with the adjustment of the cable but I'm not a huge motorcycle motor guru - more the cars side.

Thanks!
pwdbyhrses is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike Overheating (kinda) Chuckster General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 05-30-2013 03:02 PM
bike overheating texasboy713 General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 08-28-2010 07:49 PM
bike overheating already limp ninja How To's and Q & A's 15 12-18-2009 06:21 PM
idling high coojo Performance and Modifications 2 02-22-2008 05:03 PM
bike overheating! CarbonJames General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 09-29-2005 08:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

It may simply be idled too high and feeding off the pilot circuit instead of the idle circuit. Try idling it down to 1200 rpm and see if it stops hanging up.
You also may have your throttle cable freeplay too tight or the carbs may be dirty and the pilot air circuits aren't operating properly.
If you bring it by sometime next week when we reopen, I'll look at your throttle freeplay and listen to the bike for you, no charge.
As far as the overheating, is your fan coming on? It should come on between 215 and 220 degrees.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
pwdbyhrses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
It may simply be idled too high and feeding off the pilot circuit instead of the idle circuit. Try idling it down to 1200 rpm and see if it stops hanging up.
You also may have your throttle cable freeplay too tight or the carbs may be dirty and the pilot air circuits aren't operating properly.
If you bring it by sometime next week when we reopen, I'll look at your throttle freeplay and listen to the bike for you, no charge.
As far as the overheating, is your fan coming on? It should come on between 215 and 220 degrees.
sounds like fan is coming on...I JUST bought this thing (as in yesterday; left College Station at 8PM didn't get home until 1AM...) I'm trying to get activated in a forum where someone is parting out a bike and selling the left control assy with the choke lever, to replace the one that's broken on mine. That might help things a bit...I can swing by on any M,W,F (an excuse to skip classes) with advance notice (see above I'm in CS)...It would take me a little bit of a drive to get down there, but I can't stand the Yamaha dealer here...I've dealt with them before and refuse to do it again.

Thanks!
Steph
Old 09-02-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
ownage
Banned

User is banned

ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #5
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

What bike do you have, I may have the switch assy. you need.
We're closed on Mondays, open Tues. - Fri. 10-7 ans Sat. 9-6.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Look on the left side of the carbs, there should be a little post sticking out of a black round washer; that is the choke rod linkage (if it is like mine).
Make sure that is pushed all the way in.
Also verify the fans are coming on..
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
pwdbyhrses

Patrick...it's an 01 YZF600R...I should be in Houston Weds. If not I will definitely be in on Saturday.

Got and took the entire choke cable out of the assy. it sits in (where the choke lever is supposed to be...) The cable not letting out all the way is not the issue...it still idles high. Just got back from a longer ride, and still was idling high at stops. Wasn't overheating on the highway, just idling really high when I got back into town.

I'll swing by when I'm in town and will let you know beforehand!
Old 09-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #8
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Does yours have the little black plastic idle on the left? Try idling it down a bit. Also look for any hoses unhooked, vacuum leaks will give that symptom also.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #9
pwdbyhrses

Didn't have time to mess with the screws on the carbs today, and really don't want to as I'm mechanically inclined with cars, but afraid to FUBAR my bike up as it's now my primary form of transportation...Not to mention every single one of my tools are in Austin in my grandmothers garage, and I don't have stands etc. here either.

Bike is still idling extremly high, I can get it back down but with the heat it's overheating quickly. I've actually been late to class attempting to get out of stop and go traffic and on the freeway to get the temp to come down. My temp gauge only goes to 100* C before numbers stop, and redline is about 1/4 " farther from that...bike was running almost to red today at one point.

Today it did something for the first time. It went to idling high as I was slowing to turn into motorcycle parking, and when I let off the clutch took off on it's own, almost as if the throttle was stuck (it doesn't seem to be; it hasnt do this any other time.)

Honestly when riding the thing, it feels as though my A** and legs are burning up from the heat off the engine.

Patrick: I have something to do here in College Station at 430-445, but plan on leaving right when that's done to head to Houston. I should be there no later than 615. I need to get this solved before I screw up my motor and don't have a bike :(

Advertisement