MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
BikeLover

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
suzuki bandit
02 r6, my true love
cbr 600

Help!

Hey guys i have a 95 suzuki bandit and for some reason it has started acting up. it starts, idles, and chokes just fine but whenever i touch the throttle it dies? I had to ride it home in choke the other day, any ideas??
BikeLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
has it been sitting for a long time with gas in it? maybe the main jet in the carb is gunked up? how does it look inside the tank? if its orange or red that is rust, you may have chunks of rust in the carbs.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
BikeLover

Bike(s):
suzuki bandit
02 r6, my true love
cbr 600

when it first started i was riding it regularly and i stopped and let it sit for about 3 months then fired it back up today and let it idle for about 25-30 minutes and same problem with the throttle. gas looked alright, i did add a can of sea foam carb cleaner to it hoping that would help but didnt.

on top of that i took the gas tank off to get to the carbs and none of the freaking allen head bolts would break lose without stripping. lol its starting to get frustrating with all my friends out riding in the great weather
Old 02-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Sounds like carbs to me. Ethanol will do a number on the carburated system starting w just a week. Idle does not allow gas to flow through all the jets. Seafoam is great if used every gas tank etc. But the damage is already done.

W the screws, use some good pliers or channel locks to loosen the bowl screws. I have the same problem w my carbed bikes. Be sure to soak the jets, needles, clean out all the gunk and use wires to clean the remainder. Blow them out w air. Remember, nothing w rubber should be touched by carb cleaner.

Or, Motorcycles Unlimited has a great cleaning procedure that uses a parts washer until all the stuff normal hand tools cannot get off. Contact them for more info. GL!

Note: if you keep the choke all the way up and flutter the throttle, you can slowly unclog the junk in the mid/high jets. However takes several minutes and needs to be done each time the bike sits.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
BikeLover

Bike(s):
suzuki bandit
02 r6, my true love
cbr 600

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Cycle shack north offers a duni jet kit for 125 bucks do I have to get that to clean them or can I do it without a kit just breaking them down and cleaning it?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Jets are clogged. You are not the only one having that problem on that bike. If I remember the jets on that bike are tiny and clog easily.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
BikeLover

Bike(s):
suzuki bandit
02 r6, my true love
cbr 600

Ahh good to know, is unclogging them a major project? I'm pretty mechanically sound but never done jets before, I'm on a budget and can't afford cycle shacks labor . Is the kit worth buying an doing myself or can I unclog them without a kit? Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

does that mean FI bikes don't have to worry about ethanol? sorry if i hijacked :p
Yillbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fz6 View Post
does that mean FI bikes don't have to worry about ethanol? sorry if i hijacked :p
They are not affected nearly as bad as carbed bikes.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 10+

If you've never "cleaned" your carbs you probably don't want to do it by yourself
the first time. Also you'll need to resynch when done.

A "Dynojet" kit isn't going to do anything for you. If it ran fine before, it'll run fine again after it's fixed. The DJ kit has parts for recalibrating the carbs for
changes to the motor, intake and exhaust parts.

Good Luck.
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 10+

Also if the pilots are plugged it is usually easier to replace then then to try to clean them. A set of 4 usually runs +/- $20.
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement