MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Took it to the track and I learned...

....that I suck at riding

In all seriousness though, going to the track was a big reality check as far as riding goes. I started out really rough on the first "alone" session (extremely sloppy and slow). Even though they had taken us out to show us where our line should be. It's like you have this mentallity (speaking for myself I guess) that you could do it your way and still be good. No, not true (kinda I'm sure there are exceptions). By the 3rd session I had become more familiar with the track and the turns, so I started to pick up my speed and be a bit smoother, though I was getting passed left and right . One thing that helped me was when I was watching the 2nd an 3rd level guys on their session, looking at that helped me see where I should start breaking and begin my lean for the turn. I also followed AJFlo for a time around and that was what put me in a way better line . Thanks AJ! My Main instructer was 99Chris, this guy is a cool cat,gives you good feedback and gives you the confidence needed. I am not addicted yet, but I am defenitely planning my next visit to the track sometime soon.

One thing I noticed was that there was not many peeps repping MH, what gives? Well, like everyone else that has done track, I def recommend all the folks I know that have not done it, to do it. I won't be a track snob or tell you the street sucks, I will always like the street. The track just gives you a way to make errors and learn from them, I made so many mistakes yesterday, that being on the street I would have probably ate it. Then again, there are not curves/turns like that on the street on the regular, and when I'm out there I don't do what I was trying to do on the track, but the point is, now I know that I can get out of a situation like that, should it arise. Believe me, I still feel like I have much to learn and don't think I wouldn't go down on the street again, but I just feel better about it.

I would like to see my riding homies out at the track next time I go, it will either be FastLine or Ride Smart.. The event for Ride Smart on Marh 6 might not be a good one for me or new track riders as they will be merging Novice and Intermediate, I just wouldn't feel comfortable. We should put somethin together for the one after that tho, I would be all over it. It looks like I may have a way to help some of you guys out too, no details yet, but will let ya'll know when I find out.

Anyways, the point here, was that it was fun and you should all do it at least once! I had a blast and absolutely loved (these turns) Sugar and Spice (I felt the smoothest and got the most lean on this one), Diamonds Edge and the Carousel!

Thank You Very Much to Jimmy, AJ, and 99Chris, you guys are the !

Chojin and Babymilo, thanks for your compliments too.

It was also nice meeting Kalanie, The Asian Girl on the blue Kawi (sorry I for got your name ), The Dude with all the tats on his arm in the Triumph (I think), Proasian, The dud that was riding the Red Aprilia... , I'm an

Pictures to come when I can load them...

Thank you for reading, and yes I know, it's a very cool story bros

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i have learned pester Off Topic 11 05-08-2012 11:24 PM
Just learned today ... Lucar Off Topic 16 01-27-2012 11:36 PM
lesson learned Eberry2001 Motorcycles Unlimited 7 02-02-2010 10:09 AM
Track Day Lesson Learned. Herf Ridesmart Motorcycle School 7 03-30-2009 11:18 PM
Things that I have learned..... dotcom Off Topic 1 01-09-2006 10:04 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
babymilo36
Occupy Central

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Specialized Allez Elite

Member Garage

youre not addicted yet because you didnt go fast enough

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
Eddy.T

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Diavel
2005 GSXR 600
2015 Ducati Diavel

Thanks for sharing newrider... it was great reading your first experience...

i had just mentioned my intentions to get on the track and had LOADS of feed back and help offerings from members here... and i cant wait to take up on them and go do this...

i am in the boat behind you .. lol... havent had any track day yet - but i am waiting to do it with beginners so i can learn instead of being worried about who is about to swoooosh by me any second.. lol
Eddy.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
babymilo36
Occupy Central

Bike(s):
Specialized Allez Elite

Member Garage

its inevitable people are going to pass you on your first track day. people blasted past by me on my first day as well but your first track you should just really be enjoying the track day and getting used to be on a track. its a big difference from the street so take that first track day to just have a good time. following track days you can start worrying about body position, throttle control, braking, etc etc.

just my $.02

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
Old 02-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Just an FYI to newrider: your braking and turn in points may or may not change as you get faster (more likely the braking points). Looking at the faster dewds for those queues might have you braking way early or way later for your speed.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
its inevitable people are going to pass you on your first track day. people blasted past by me on my first day as well but your first track you should just really be enjoying the track day and getting used to be on a track. its a big difference from the street so take that first track day to just have a good time. following track days you can start worrying about body position, throttle control, braking, etc etc.

just my $.02
Yup, that's what i was trying to do, even on the straights I didn't gun it or anything, stayed in 3rd gear the entire time..Only shifted down at the diomnds edge (it gave me a much better lean and smooth line)... The only time i think I went to 4th was on the staright before the Carousel, then dropped to 3rd. Towards the end of the day, I just started pushing it, that was fun as !...

did you happen to be one of the people that came accross the cone in the middle of the track that was at the end of the carousel?... I avoid it that thing like a champ! (IMO )

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 02-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
babymilo36
Occupy Central

Bike(s):
Specialized Allez Elite

Member Garage

lol yeah i was like WTF A CONE but luckily no one went down because of it

good job

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
Old 02-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Just an FYI to NewRider: your braking and turn in points may or may not change as you get faster (more likely the braking points). Looking at the faster dewds for those queues might have you braking way early or way later for your speed.
I mostly was noticing when they where leaning for the turn... i adjusted the breaking for my speed, I realised that my breaking was gonna be different, but from what i experienced yesterday, I entered the turn where they were entering and made me a lot smoother.

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 02-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
K. Oliveira
Cypress' OG Fo Sho!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Raven Edition

Member Garage

Hey Ivan, I'm looking to go to the track really soon man, Id like to go this month. So if you can tag along with meh since you already know where to go and what to do and all that id appreciate it! (I think corbin is coming along too)
Old 02-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
NICKR1
I eat my r1

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

let me know next time...im down!
NICKR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
babymilo36
Occupy Central

Bike(s):
Specialized Allez Elite

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Oliveira View Post
Hey Ivan, I'm looking to go to the track really soon man, Id like to go this month. So if you can tag along with meh since you already know where to go and what to do and all that id appreciate it! (I think corbin is coming along too)
let me know if you have questions too kyle. next scheduled track day at msrh with ridesmart is in march. but they dont recommend first timers to attend that because level1 will be combined with level2. TWS (Texas World Speedway) with ridesmart is april 9 and 10 i believe.

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
Old 02-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
BBRacing
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

User is banned

BBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Oliveira View Post
yeah man...But the only thing I would be help on is pointing you in the direction to register and tell yo to listen and relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKR1 View Post
let me know next time...im down!
Will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
let me know if you have questions too kyle. next scheduled track day at msrh with ridesmart is in march. but they dont recommend first timers to attend that because level1 will be combined with level2. TWS (Texas World Speedway) with ridesmart is april 9 and 10 i believe.
I'm probably going to wait for that, or just do FastLine at GSS

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
babymilo36
Occupy Central

Bike(s):
Specialized Allez Elite

Member Garage

yeah im probably gonna be at the next gss since i cant make it to TWS (Texas World Speedway) in april and i sure as am not waiting till MAY to track

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #15
JetG

Track is a blast, and for a year + all I did was ride the track. Wasnt intereseted in street riding at all. Have been thinking about getting another bike and riding again, but who knows.

J
Old 02-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I'll be at the next Fastline day at GSS and probably the next Ride Smart day at MSRH in march. Look for the fat guy having lots of trouble starting his primadonna Aprilia tard.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #17
Conrad
SCADA Entropy Terminator

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
1999 SV650 (For Sale)
2011 GSXR 750

For me, the whole experience was intimidating from the moment I rolled up. I think the most nervous I was the whole day was accelerating onto the track for the first time after the round robin session. That lasted about 20 seconds, then the adrenaline induced perma-grin kicked in. I was giggling to myself like a child through most of that first "free" session. When I came off, I was shaking slightly. I cannot explain how highly recommended doing a track day is. It's a great learning experience and a kick in the like no other.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

Great write up, people will really never understand untill they come out, they can burn the streets up but track is a whole other playing field, If you were stoked at MSRH wait untill you hit TWS (Texas World Speedway) turn one at 140, let the addiction begin.
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #19
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetG View Post
Track is a blast, and for a year + all I did was ride the track. Wasnt intereseted in street riding at all. Have been thinking about getting another bike and riding again, but who knows.

J
Street and track are both great...I've been doing street more, but will also be doing more track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I'll be at the next Fastline day at GSS and probably the next Ride Smart day at MSRH in march. Look for the fat guy having lots of trouble starting his primadonna Aprilia tard.
Will do..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
For me, the whole experience was intimidating from the moment I rolled up. I think the most nervous I was the whole day was accelerating onto the track for the first time after the round robin session. That lasted about 20 seconds, then the adrenaline induced perma-grin kicked in. I was giggling to myself like a child through most of that first "free" session. When I came off, I was shaking slightly. I cannot explain how highly recommended doing a track day is. It's a great learning experience and a kick in the like no other.
Kick in the is right!

i think some of the times I mostly up, is when I saw the photographer like 2 times

My dunmbass self tried to look good, and prob ended up looking stupid lol oh well.

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 02-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #20
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Good writeup bro! It will be good for the huge influx of new riders this season to read a perspective of a new track rider.

I have a destination wedding in Mexico March 6th, but bet your I will be back on the track after that. I will be doing lvl1 since I haven't ridden track since last August also, we can pit together then. Now that you've done MSRH, it's time for some TWS (Texas World Speedway) dude...!

Advertisement