MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Shoulder injuries

Quote:
Former World Superbike champion Neil Hodgson saw his AMA Superbike career derailed by a shoulder injury, and ultimately re-injuring the shoulder while racing the British Superbike Series in 2010 finished his career. After suffering through a painful shoulder injury we wondered what his viewpoint would be on Valentino Rossi's shoulder injury and how a world championship level rider rides while having a shoulder injury.

Q. Neil, after your massive shoulder issues, we wonder what your thoughts on Valentino Rossi's shoulder injury might be.

A. First of all I feel really sorry for him. Because I feel that people probably feel that he's using it as an excuse but I'm afraid that's not the case. I know because of the difficulties that I had with mine.

I think that we have become accustomed to seeing riders suffering big injuries and making miraculous comebacks and short recovery times. I think with a shoulder injury you can't really see anything that looks wrong. You can walk around and do everything quite normally and you look half-normal. But then you get on a motorcycle and certainly when you're in the riding position, going at speed, and the g-forces are there and you're trying to maneuver the bike, it becomes nearly impossible.

Q. What is the mindset of a rider in the situation that Rossi is in? He's had surgery and has to ride.

A. You're constantly trying to convince yourself that it's going to be better. But in the heat of the moment when you really need it to be strong, it's not strong enough. And racing—especially at his level—he needs to be one hundred percent fit.

Q. In several of the photos from the recent Sepang MotoGP test, Rossi looked a bit like you did after you injured your shoulder and rode. He had a very "strong-arm" position on the clip-ons.

A. That's what it does. It alters your riding style. Because I could never get into the full tuck, so you have to try and compensate for it

People ask me now how is your shoulder and I tell them that it's great. And they give me a bit of an odd look but what I mean is that it's great, now, for a normal life. And, I can ride a motocross bike fairly okay, and it doesn't bother me too much. But I get on a roadrace bike and as soon as I try to go really fast it goes really weak.

Q. You had two shoulder surgeries, the first of which was quite successful. But the second one was not?

When they went into clean it up and give me some more movement, they discovered that one of the rotator cuffs had come off, and they had to put that back on, so I was back at square one.

With a lot of injuries there seems to be quite a lot of shortcuts, that you can do to cut back the downtime, (pinning bones, re-attaching ligaments) but not with your shoulder. It's the only one that if they say three months, then it's going to be three months of recovery.

It's a killer.

Q. How does a world championship-level rider with a damaged or still healing shoulder ride? How do you compensate?

Well, if you saw me ride you could see I didn't do a very good job of it (laughs). Certain corners it didn't affect me, but I just could not go around left hand corners. What I did was basically compensate by using my right arm, but my biggest problem was that I could not get into the apex. Because of the amount that you have to countersteer on a bike, to turn left obviously you push a lot with your left hand to get the bike to drop into the apex. So I could not do this; so I was pulling with my right hand.

Which was okay unless I was trail braking as I could never modulate the amount of pressure I was putting on the front brake while pulling on the handlebar, at times at two different sort of pressures to apply, which I did not have the ability to adjust and work out.

The only way of getting around that is by getting slower. Which you saw me do.

Q. Rossi said at Laguna, with sort of hollow eyes, that he had not been sleeping because of the pain in his shoulder.

A. That for me was the worst. After I had the surgery I could not believe that I could not sleep because of the pain and discomfort. Through exhaustion I manage to fall asleep but I'd only sleep a few hours and then the pain would wake me back up. So I just started getting up at 2:00 AM and doing some work around the house, be on the computer, do a minor work out, and then I'd become exhausted again around 6:00 AM and I'd go back to sleep for a few hours. So that became my sleep pattern for a long time. And it's not enough sleep and it begins to wear you down.

It just kills you, it's so depressing because you don't look forward to sleep. I've always been an easy sleeper and enjoyed the rejuvenating nature of it. When it's taken away, it affects your whole life.
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2011/Feb/110214z-100.htm

see alberto, it's a bit more than a cold
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cop on I-10 shoulder SteveohhXdank General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 01-20-2011 10:03 AM
Shoulder A/C separation in crash??? ikonj General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 09-10-2009 06:24 AM
Shoulder Pain.... Solracer Off Topic 24 06-02-2009 09:31 AM
must be an angel on my shoulder Azylum General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 03-25-2007 10:23 PM
shoulder armor. TRD23 Safety Corner Main 22 10-17-2005 03:33 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Valentino Rossi is gay, long live kind Lorenzo

Oh yeah, I'm back
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
Valentino Rossi is gay, long live kind Lorenzo

Oh yeah, I'm back
he's kind??????

Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
switch
two fifty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Pedrosa and dovi are gonna take 2011.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
blaknwite

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
SV650 Track
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250
Aprilia SR50 DiTech

Moaner will be hard to beat this year.
blaknwite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
DINGO the GOATEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greatest of all the eighthundred era, i know is stupid

I know how to fix the duc's problem, get stoner back bauhahahah
Old 02-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
ileono918
On hiatus

You guys still owe me my beers and chicken wings but here is a new bet for 2011: Spies over Stoner and Rossi. 1 beer, are you ladies in?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Quote:
You guys still owe me my beers and chicken wings but here is a new bet for 2011: Spies over Stoner and Rossi. 1 beer, are you ladies in?
Puesto como calzon de puta, no mas bien puesto como calcetin
Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
DINGO the GOATEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greatest of all the eighthundred era, i know is stupid
I know how to fix the duc's problem, get stoner back bauhahahah

more like Greatest Of All Time @ Escargot Eating

PS Hasn't Rossi already gone faster than the Duc from this time last year, just saying
Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
ileono918
On hiatus

So, that's a no, Grinchy?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
So, that's a no, Grinchy?
I don't bet anymore Irak

on account I keep losing
Old 02-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Puesto como calzon de puta, no mas bien puesto como calcetin
Does that mean you want some of the Doctor's helmet????????
what size are you?? see below
Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #13
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
Does that mean you want some of the Doctor's helmet????????
what size are you?? see below
I sure hope he doesn't have a special ducati helmet cause it won't sell, in the other hand, i am waiting for the Dingo replica been shown at your local track day
Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #14
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
I sure hope he doesn't have a special ducati helmet cause it won't sell, in the other hand, i am waiting for the Dingo replica been shown at your local track day
there's always one in the crowd , like herpes

Advertisement