MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
kyu612

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 zx10r
07 1000rr

Sv650s and swapped forks?

I had a quick question regarding a bike. I'm looking to purchase an 03 sv650s that has 06 gsxr forks, front brake, and a front wheel swapped over.

If I plan to buy a steering dampener for the bike, would I need one that would fit an sv650s or a gsxr?

Also regarding the front wheel, would there be any issues with having a gsxr front wheel while having a sv rear wheel? (I'm guessing not but I know the tire size is slightly a bit different).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
kyu612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
got the front end swapped obed Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 14 08-12-2012 02:30 PM
anyone swapped the fuel pump from 1 tank to another? lbjasonc How To's and Q & A's 22 07-18-2009 12:49 AM
I need my engine swapped! Pls help!! Los General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 06-26-2008 10:19 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyu612 View Post
I had a quick question regarding a bike. I'm looking to purchase an 03 sv650s that has 06 gsxr forks, front brake, and a front wheel swapped over.

If I plan to buy a steering dampener for the bike, would I need one that would fit an sv650s or a gsxr?

Also regarding the front wheel, would there be any issues with having a gsxr front wheel while having a sv rear wheel? (I'm guessing not but I know the tire size is slightly a bit different).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Unless you are racing the bike you shouldn't need a damper. This setup is one of the most stable platform I have ridden, and when I raced mine I used a stock GSXR damper that was gutted just so I would conform to the rules.

In the event that you just want one or are racing, I suggest using the stock damper from a GSXR that mounts in the stock location on the forks. Sometimes, it may require that you make a bracket for the part that mounts to the frame neck. OR I really like the linear dampers that mount to the top triple clamp and are secured where the tank is bolted to the frame. Another popular option is to get a rotary damper like Scotts or Ohlins, in that case most require that you use a piece made for the GSXR and another bracket that is for the SV. A really good source of information is SVRider.com, a search will yield a ton of information.

All that said, a maintained bike with this setup should never need a damper- save that money or spend it on trackdays instead. If you're racing, still the part is not needed other than to follow the rules, and I used stock GSXR dampers for years to fit the requirements.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
kyu612

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 zx10r
07 1000rr

thanks for the help.. just curious since I had a damper laying around for an 06 gsxr as well
kyu612 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement