MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #21
JP171

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

on old bikes the speed may be taken from a reduction gear assembly that is in the front wheel hub, but not on most bikes made post mid 90's its taken from a sensor at the output shaft of the transmission

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Warning... Waller Co PoPo alert!! Kaitlin General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 01-24-2013 06:17 PM
F-wood PoPo warning... cedestech General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 01-18-2011 09:36 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #22
maxgs

Member Garage

Ask Dave C if the 650 tops out at 120. Ha!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #23
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Its always FTP until you need them......

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #24
mjrauma
ZZRrrrrrrgh!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Your speedo is "set" to the circumference of your wheel, but "speed displayed" is determined by the number of revolutions, be it the wheel or an output shaft. So even if you were riding on the hub, (ouch), your speedo reading would be based on the wheels/shafts rpm.

Mike
mjrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #25
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Good show. They let you go becuase they didn't have a verifiable reading on your speed. (clocked, radar, paced) You didn't admit to a certain speed and you were
riding clean and were nice to them.

I ALWAYS plead ignorant. I'm not too bright in the first place so it's not a hard
act to pull off...

(the PD isn't required to show you the radar reading and if you are asking to see
it you are calling them a liar....)
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #26
Snow
Can I kick it?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Bikes are made to look fast, even when they are not.

If you were in a full tuck going up the causeway as well? Well jeez....

So yeah, it probably looked like you were not only speeding, but also trying to speed.

Sounds to me like a completely legal and expected traffic stop. You admit you were speeding, that is what they pulled you over for. The cops up ahead? Normal. Tons of bikes run. When they run, they crash and it looks bad on the police for chasing. The idea is to make sure there is no long chase.

You broke the law going quite a bit over the speed limit, should have received a ticket, but you didn't.

Sounds like the Galveston PD is doing just fine to me.

Opened this expecting some new Holtzclaw, instead all I see here is anger that you got pulled over?

I really don't see the problem.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #27
ormand
Deelish!

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Ask Dave C if the 650 tops out at 120. Ha!
I will lol With me on a bike, it's like riding 2-up in terms of weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrauma View Post
Your speedo is "set" to the circumference of your wheel, but "speed displayed" is determined by the number of revolutions, be it the wheel or an output shaft. So even if you were riding on the hub, (ouch), your speedo reading would be based on the wheels/shafts rpm.

Mike
Good to know Still, riding on the side of a tire or a worn out tire (either way, reduced circumference) will cause the speedometer "display" to be inaccurate. I have confirmed this as I have (or had) my Nexus One with GPS on clipped to my handlebar next to the speedometer, and after 70mph, my speedometer would always read +2-3mph vs GPS. On turns where the bike is leaned, the variance was more dramatic, exponentially so with increased speeds. After seeing that firsthand, I give little credit to the speedometer when entering a turn or anywhere above 70mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
Bikes are made to look fast, even when they are not.

If you were in a full tuck going up the causeway as well? Well jeez....

So yeah, it probably looked like you were not only speeding, but also trying to speed.

Sounds to me like a completely legal and expected traffic stop. You admit you were speeding, that is what they pulled you over for. The cops up ahead? Normal. Tons of bikes run. When they run, they crash and it looks bad on the police for chasing. The idea is to make sure there is no long chase.

You broke the law going quite a bit over the speed limit, should have received a ticket, but you didn't.

Sounds like the Galveston PD is doing just fine to me.

Opened this expecting some new Holtzclaw, instead all I see here is anger that you got pulled over?

I really don't see the problem.
Looking back, I am starting to think that others are right that the "sargeant" was a madeup story to harvest a confession. So basically I was profiled, which is wrong. But living near Galveston, I see a lot of retarded "squids" with no gear, often on chromed out bikes, hauling on the freeway straights so I am not susprised about being profiled.

The cops are doing there job but if this "sargeant" story was made up, then they are guilty of entrapment. If there was no radar/pacing, no complaint calls, no "witnesses" (as admitted by the SUV cop other than this "sargeant" who didn't show up when I was pulled over), then there was no reason for me to be pulled over to begin with on "speeding". The 1st and only time I saw the SUV cop was on 61st and I was doing traffic-paired speed...maybe he "assumed" I was speeding on the causeway and tried to entrap me?

I am going to give GPD the benefit of the doubt that what they told me is true.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #28
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMFIC View Post
Do they have to let you?
Lol, yes! If they. Don't verify the speed induction in their radar/laser then they have to follow you home an wash your bike

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #29
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger View Post
I don't know if they have to let you see it or not. But they sure look silly in traffic court when you point out that he couldn't verify the speed to you.

Asking is usually the difference between a ticket and a warning.
That works for you? It's always been the opposite for me. A cop has no obligation to show you his radar and I've never heard of a defense attorney using that as an argument in court.

It's usually the reverse - arguing with the officer on the side of the road about his evidence is the fastest way to a ticket.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #30
KeeBee
Old man

Bike(s):
12 HD Street Glide
11 HD Softail Deluxe
SOLD 08 Liquid Silver R6
STOLEN 93 GSXR 750

Send a message via AIM to KeeBee
Sux. Sounds like the cop that wrote me a ticket on I-10 saying I was going 85 during rush hour while following a truck. I did not admit to speeding although I knew I was going 70 something. Got thrown out in court.

Glad you got off with a warning.
KeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #31
BaptizedByFire
Future Organ Donor

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
'03 CBR 600RR

I've been arrested for Unlawfully Carrying a Weapon- a broken-down Ar-15 IN MY TRUNK after a day at the range (That's transporting, NOT carrying). We've all met cops who try to assert thier juvenile insecurities over us bc now they're the cool kids and we're the geeks getting stuffed in garbage cans (cop cars) and kicked down the stairs (the justice system).

However, these cops really are few and far between. I've been pulled over and let go more often then I've been harassed because honestly, that cop's judgement really is a better bet then going to court. Unless he's one of the "bad apples," in which case you should handle the situation EXACTLY the same because when you do go to court it will look better that you didn't blow up in his face.

On a different note- there are bad apples among us too who do dumb things that could get ppl killed. The Cops' magical sergeant ruse wasnt them being @$$holes- they wanna get the word out to watch your speed in Galvz becase it is a highly intoxicated area and no matter how sober you are, another drunk driver/rider sharing the road is a hazard- and a big one. Let's look at this as the cops gave it to Ormand- this is a warning. Just watch yourself. Stay alert, don't get complacent.

BTW, Ormand, your handling of the situation was flawless in my opinion. You gave honest and intelligent- albeit vague- responses, admitted to nothing, and treated the officers respecfully. because of this, all it cost you was a few minuets of your time.
BaptizedByFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #32
ormand
Deelish!

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptizedByFire View Post
I've been arrested for Unlawfully Carrying a Weapon- a broken-down Ar-15 IN MY TRUNK after a day at the range (That's transporting, NOT carrying). We've all met cops who try to assert thier juvenile insecurities over us bc now they're the cool kids and we're the geeks getting stuffed in garbage cans (cop cars) and kicked down the stairs (the justice system).

However, these cops really are few and far between. I've been pulled over and let go more often then I've been harassed because honestly, that cop's judgement really is a better bet then going to court. Unless he's one of the "bad apples," in which case you should handle the situation EXACTLY the same because when you do go to court it will look better that you didn't blow up in his face.

On a different note- there are bad apples among us too who do dumb things that could get ppl killed. The Cops' magical sergeant ruse wasnt them being @$$holes- they wanna get the word out to watch your speed in Galvz becase it is a highly intoxicated area and no matter how sober you are, another drunk driver/rider sharing the road is a hazard- and a big one. Let's look at this as the cops gave it to Ormand- this is a warning. Just watch yourself. Stay alert, don't get complacent.

BTW, Ormand, your handling of the situation was flawless in my opinion. You gave honest and intelligent- albeit vague- responses, admitted to nothing, and treated the officers respecfully. because of this, all it cost you was a few minuets of your time.
lol thank you. Welcome to MH

Advertisement