MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Bomb0314

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
SOLD all of them :(

question about a bike I sold in the summer.

Some of you might remember that I sold my 2003 Kawasaki zx6r during the summer. My dad told me that there is a lady who called the house saying she bought the bike from who I sold it to and I guess she needs to transfer the name over to her name. I haven't tried contacting her yet to see what she needs and what not. But I'm pretty sure she needs my signature to get the bike in her name. Not sure how the she got my house phone number, when I don't even live there.

I do not mind signing the paper to get the bike in her name, but I am very busy and I don't wanna take responsibility for the bike from when I sold it till now. Like if the person who I sold it to got tickets on it, ran red lights, etc.

What are things I need to know? Has anyone dealt with anything like this?

thanks MH, and to anyone who remembers me/knows me. - haven't posted in here in a while (I just lurk now, since I don't have a bike anymore)
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer Time Bike Pics. AaronP220 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 07-17-2011 09:26 PM
So I sold my bike R6Spartan Off Topic 46 04-13-2009 02:54 PM
sold my bike rob g Off Topic 9 04-09-2008 12:24 PM
Sold the bike chasee69 General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 05-23-2006 08:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

If i were you, i'd contact the guy YOU sold the bike to just to make sure the he indeed did sell the bike to this lady. if so, then i dont really see an issue if she just needs the title signed over to her..

I guess the important part..was the title signed over to the person YOU sold it to? if so...she can go pound sand.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
Got-Busa?

Another good reason why you fill in the purchasers info on the title when you sign it over. MAKE them have to transfer it into there name for the next sale...
Got-Busa? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
zombiejesus
braaaaiiiiinssss

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

just keep in mind that since you sold it in the summer, she would have to pay hundreds in late fees and penalties depending on what date you put on the paperwork. You could call the HCTRA and local city/county courts to check the plate for tickets and fines.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
cbrwayne

Bike(s):
07 CBR600rr
08 CBR600rr

Dammit that just reminds me does anyone kno if I can get a new tittle I think I lost mines
cbrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
Bomb0314

Bike(s):

Unfortunately, I didn't save the guys contact info... So don't know how to get ahold of him.

but yes, when I sold the bike, I did fill out the backside of the title and put him as the new buyer and his info and what not. Also filled out the title transfer form with them their also. I'll have to go home and check all the folder for the bike and see all the copies I have of the paper work filled out.

anyone know how this lady found my house phone number?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomb0314 View Post
Unfortunately, I didn't save the guys contact info... So don't know how to get ahold of him.

but yes, when I sold the bike, I did fill out the backside of the title and put him as the new buyer and his info and what not. Also filled out the title transfer form with them their also. I'll have to go home and check all the folder for the bike and see all the copies I have of the paper work filled out.

well, if thats the case, then she can go away. the bike is no longer yours and the title is not in your name. she will have to get with the current owner about all that .
Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
bob_1

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

this is what you should have done.... one of these three options. I guess you could still back date the forms

https://vision21.txdot.gov/Vehicle/M...ification.aspx

it's a vehicle transfer notification

I've got lots of parts
bob_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

https://vision21.txdmv.gov/Vehicle/M...ification.aspx
Quote:
YOU MUST SUBMIT THE VEHICLE TRANSFER NOTIFICATION WITHIN 30 DAYS TO REMOVE LIABILITY
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

Quote:

she is a woman they have to know all that kind of stuff how do you think they get you on maury for those baby daddy tests?
yeah I find my bike is harder to steal if there is a crazy/ off african on it so I ride it as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
atexanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Just call her and let her know what happened, and sigh a statement of fact, help her out, its not gonna hurt you, she prolly took quite a bit of effert in locating U, help her out, she prolly pulled your name from the vin or plate # and then maybe called information or whatever to get your #
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
KSims1868

Bike(s):
Harley Davidson FXDWG

Man it's NOT hard to get a phone number.
The internet can prob link you to your parents address and with that alone she could call info or search Google, Spokeo, Facebook, whatever to find more info on how to get a hold of you. I've had to do it before in a similar title situation. I also did it a few years ago to find the original owner of a bike I was going to buy because I was suspicious that it was REALLY all I was being told.

Just a little internet investigation...that's all.
Plus...the title prob has your parents address on it if you lived there when you bought the bike.
KSims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #13
SilverBullet

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2009 KTM 250SX
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Bike is probably stilll in your name, person you sold to never transferred the title. Then decided to resell before transferring so didn't want to pay sales tax and title fees. So the lady probably got your info from TxDOT as you're still owner of record (yes they do give out this info in certain cases). I bet phone number she called matches the address you had on title right?

_
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
Bomb0314

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by baditalian00 View Post
well, if thats the case, then she can go away. the bike is no longer yours and the title is not in your name. she will have to get with the current owner about all that .
no I think the bike is still in my name thou. Even thou I filled out all that info, the buyer is responsible for taking the paper work to the court house and transferring it over to his name. (which I think he did not do).
Old 02-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
Bomb0314

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_1 View Post
this is what you should have done.... one of these three options. I guess you could still back date the forms

https://vision21.txdot.gov/Vehicle/M...ification.aspx

it's a vehicle transfer notification
I honestly don't remember if I did or did not submit that form. I sold a bike and a car during the summer and I though I did it, but I don't remember and I'll just have to check the files when I go to my parents house.

Doesn't seem to be any horror stories, so helping her out seems like it won't come bite me in the . I'll give her a call later on today or the weekend.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #16
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrwayne View Post
Dammit that just reminds me does anyone kno if I can get a new tittle I think I lost mines
Just go gt a copy of your title the place is someehre off 290
Quote:
http://www.yellowpages.com/findaperson

Just type in your name and see what comes up. Same happened to me when I baught my bike. the head said that the tittle was clear and in his name, but it was just signed and he never transfered tittle to his name.

I went to yellow pages and found the previous owners name and phone number.

Lazy People!

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #17
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Bike is probably stilll in your name, person you sold to never transferred the title. Then decided to resell before transferring so didn't want to pay sales tax and title fees. So the lady probably got your info from TxDOT as you're still owner of record (yes they do give out this info in certain cases).
That very thing happened to me. Sold a bike to someone I thought I could trust. He never transfered the title, sold the bike to the next guy that also didn't do the paperwork, who of course ran into somebody with it then fled the scene.

Eventually I was able to get everything squared away and didn't cost anything, but I learned it is important to submit your sale docs to the state.

Next time I sell a bike the plate stays with me, as well as make sure I submit my docs the next business day.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #18
kawasakijockey
Crotchrocket Scientist

Bike(s):
2007 zx14
2002 cbr954
1977 kz1000

Quote:
I honestly don't remember if I did or did not submit that form. I sold a bike and a car during the summer and I though I did it, but I don't remember and I'll just have to check the files when I go to my parents house.

Doesn't seem to be any horror stories, so helping her out seems like it won't come bite me in the . I'll give her a call later on today or the weekend.
Read my post #43. Contact the guy she got the bike from and make sure it is who you sold it to. http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...14#post1761014
kawasakijockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #19
Greg in H-town

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'07 ZZR600

Within 30 days of the sale, you should have filled out a VTR-346 form and sent it to TxDMV Vehicle Titles and Transfers. It's a CYA document that notifies the state that you sold it, but it's up to the buyer to transfer the title and pay the tax and registration. This is why you should keep the plates when you sell a vehicle - it pretty much forces them to go get it registered ASAP.
Greg in H-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
Bomb0314

Bike(s):

sorry guys for the late reply... The lady called me a while ago and told me they didn't need my help anymore and they got it taken care of.

anyway to check if the bike is still in my name?