MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
AFS_Racing
Boost King

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Motorcycle Tires

So I needed to purchase some tires today for the GSXR1K (like you had to guess).

I was looking for Pilot Pures (190/55 and 120/70). I called several shops over the last several weeks, as I knew I would be purchasing the tires this week.

My priorities for purchase were (in order of importance):
1) care taken in handling of the wheels (they are off the bike, and expensive)
2) total OTD pricing of the tires
3) in stock in the size I needed when I needed to purchase
4) interest in the business

So I contacted several locals (did not want to buy on the web and have mounted local).

I had purchased these same tires, mounted and balanced, back in October from one of the MH sponsors for 280 plus tax OTD.

Long story short, I narrowed it to two (2) MH supporting vendors.

One said they would honor the price from last time, then said they needed to check. Huh??? Then, they said that the price would drop further on 2/12 (not sure of how small or large of a drop) and could I do it then. Huh??? I asked for them to confirm the pricing and call me back, as I wanted to do this today.

The other could not quite get to the previous price (but close), but they definitely had interest in doing the job. The owner even said he would do the mount himself to ensure that there were no issues. He asked to keep the wheels overnight to allow them to "heat up", as they had been in the trunk of my car all day (prob like 35F).

I will pick them up tomorrow and report back. Expect nothing but good! Sometimes it is about someone's interest in doing the job vs just a few bucks cheaper.
AFS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where does everyone get there motorcycle tires? avp12304 General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 10-28-2013 07:36 PM
Everything you need to know about motorcycle tires. knee_dragger Motorcycle Articles 6 01-11-2011 10:26 AM
Motorcycle Tires HellFroze Performance and Modifications 33 09-16-2007 09:07 PM
motorcycle tires #1 stunna General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 07-30-2007 12:54 AM
motorcycle tires wee410 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 04-25-2007 06:28 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
AFS_Racing
Boost King

I had an inquiry as to why the wheels would need to "heat up". According to what I was told, carbon wheels are much easier to work with when they are at room temp.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
AFS_Racing
Boost King

I got the call at ~2PM today that the tires were ready. They said they had absolutely no problem mounting. The owner handled the mount.

I looked them over closely when I got home, and they look perfect. One small (black) set of weights on each wheel. Tires right direction. Stems and caps all good (these were already there) and all put back in order. Everything clean!

Price as discussed, and he even had the fork seals for another project waiting with the wheels. EXCELLENT SERVICE!!!!!

As I said prior, one of the important deciding factors was a genuine interest in doing the work. The shop delivered that in spades.

A big Thank You to Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited!

When people/shops do great work, the affirmation should be equally as loud as when someone is disappointed.

Last edited by AFS_Racing; 02-10-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Thanks for the good words Aaron, we're happy to earn your business.
Those wheels are gorgeous you need to post up some pics!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
99 Chris
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)