MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
06 ZX6r (the last of the 636)
----------------------
Previously owned (most recently at least):
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

Pricing inquiry

If I purchase a new primed OEM style LH Upper Fairing for this 09 ZX10 similiar to the one pictured below how much would I expect to pay to get it painted gloss black (oem color) to match bike? Trying to decide on buying an aftermarket piece for ~100$ or a painted OEM piece for ~280$
Attached Images

Lokati is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Downtown Photos Inquiry Navajib General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 06-19-2009 09:43 PM
Scavenger Hunt Inquiry Mala Lingua Events, Meets and Rides 44 03-09-2008 09:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokati View Post
If I purchase a new primed OEM style LH Upper Fairing for this 09 ZX10 similiar to the one pictured below how much would I expect to pay to get it painted gloss black (oem color) to match bike? Trying to decide on buying an aftermarket piece for ~100$ or a painted OEM piece for ~280$

Have it painted. I've had a whole bumper painted for $200.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Bike(s):
----------------------
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

I dunno, unless the paint is significantly less, like 100$. I think an OEM ABS replacement would beat a fiberglass aftermarket piece if I am saving less than 80$.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
I dunno, unless the paint is significantly less, like 100$. I think an OEM ABS replacement would beat a fiberglass aftermarket piece if I am saving less than 80$.

Well, there's that too. Although its likely that the fiberglass part will hold up better in another crash?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 02-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Bike(s):
----------------------

Member Garage

In my experience, aftermarket fiberglass fairings tend to shatter in a crash rather than rash. But I've only ever replaced a full set before with a rattlecan paint at home. Which was over a thousand dollars in savings over an OEM. I just need one piece here so I am a little torn.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

so buy the one piece, get the good rattlecan paint from colorite, and be done.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Bike(s):
----------------------

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
so buy the one piece, get the good rattlecan paint from colorite, and be done.
Well my paint job in the past have been less than perfect, I'm not sure I trust myself to do a good job now
Old 02-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
iDreaM

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
13 636

just buy OEM. in the end, its worth it rather than savings a couple bucks...
iDreaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

contact Jofuzzy for paint quote

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Bike(s):
----------------------

Member Garage

Ya I guess bottom line is, OEM adds more value. And since I have 1-2 bikes at a time and go through 2-3 bikes a year. Its likely I'll sell this one before December rolls around (though maybe not, i've liked it a lot more than any other) the OEM part will be more favorable to a buyer.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
AFS_Racing
Boost King

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 3

Go to Ebay and buy the OEM part in the right color and year.

IMHO you will be happier in the long run.
AFS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Bike(s):
----------------------

Member Garage

Looked, couldnt find anything but one... and he had it used priced higher than OEM brand new, and wouldnt budge on price like an idiot.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

tried some motorcycle salvage companies for that part? surely there's some gen 3 pieces to be had somewhere
Old 02-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #14
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Check motorcycle salvage locations first.
Second, fiberglass and Chinese Ebay replacement parts *may* not fit well, likely won't. Fiberglass is great for racing, not the greatest for OEM replacement. If you go with glass, you really should get the whole set- upper and lower.
Third, if you are concerned about fit/ finish, OEM is always best. The paint for this bike is cheap and doesn't require the expensive Color-rite paint unless it's the black metallic. If it is the metallic, it can be duplicated without Color-rite, but it's best to go ahead and spend that money.
Finally, if you want it to look OEM, paint will not be the cheap part. The Color-rite costs ~$125/ quart and likely you can't get it mixed in a pint. Sometimes you can, but still, that's JUST the base coat, not including the reducer that Color-rite recommends for color match, plus the clear coat materials, and then the painter's time. If you know a good painter with access to special pricing or will do the job for next to nothing for his time, it's going to be expensive. Pay for that, or you'll be disappointed in the outcome.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #15
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Bike(s):
----------------------

Member Garage

Well the OEM piece comes painted (I assume) for $281.53 from mrcycles.com I need to figure out the diff between ebony and black. I assume one is glossy and one is flat. I would need the glossy.

I don't know many motorcycle salvage around houston, but I guess I could look around for a few days. Would calling them up work or is it more of a might as well go down there, since they wont have a clue?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #16
Got-Busa?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDreaM View Post
just buy OEM. in the end, its worth it rather than savings a couple bucks...
Yep.....get OEM.....which means paint color will more than likely match where aftermarket is hit or miss. Not to mention OEM plastics have a lot better fitment than aftermarket which normally take a LOT of work...

Plus the leg work to get it prepped, painted, taking it to the shop and waiting for the work. It's not worth the headache when you can get OEM online from a dealer discounted for around $200, bolt on and ride...
Got-Busa? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Well the OEM piece comes painted (I assume) for $281.53 from mrcycles.com I need to figure out the diff between ebony and black. I assume one is glossy and one is flat. I would need the glossy.

I don't know many motorcycle salvage around houston, but I guess I could look around for a few days. Would calling them up work or is it more of a might as well go down there, since they wont have a clue?
Start with calling Chris Romeo at Sam's Cycles in the Heights. There are also a few other shops around, Pasadena Cycles too. Sometimes local repair/ accessory shops have these things as well- call Motorcycles Unlimited and Whoopie's Cycles to see what they have laying around, you never know.

I would sincerely opt for painted OEM parts if the option is there and your budget allows. Especially if you care about fit/ finish/ color match. Not to mention when it comes time to sell, the buyer will notice things like this.

As above, I would avoid painting just one panel, the cost over-rides the value versus purchasing OEM. Paint, if you care about the looks, is not going to be cheap if it's going to be a good job. And if you get it painted, you SHOULD pay for the quality, and expect what you pay for.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #18
iDreaM

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
13 636

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-Busa? View Post
Yep.....get OEM.....which means paint color will more than likely match where aftermarket is hit or miss. Not to mention OEM plastics have a lot better fitment than aftermarket which normally take a LOT of work...

Plus the leg work to get it prepped, painted, taking it to the shop and waiting for the work. It's not worth the headache when you can get OEM online from a dealer discounted for around $200, bolt on and ride...
Exactly! Hit it on the spot!
iDreaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #19
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Bike(s):
----------------------

Member Garage

Appreciate everyones input.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #20
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
In my experience, aftermarket fiberglass fairings tend to shatter in a crash rather than rash. But I've only ever replaced a full set before with a rattlecan paint at home. Which was over a thousand dollars in savings over an OEM. I just need one piece here so I am a little torn.

How much experience do you have crashing fiberglass parts? There's a lot of racers running around with fiberglass fairings because they stay together better, and are easier to repair......

CMRA #302