Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

motogp v wsbk bikes

Crutchlow comments on riding a motogp bike after a year in wsbk

Cal Crutchlow is confident he is making big progress with learning how to master Yamaha's YZR-M1 machine after he ended only his second MotoGP test with the 17th quickest time.

The British rider, who crashed heavily on the second day, clocked a best time of 2.02.717 to finish just under two seconds away from Marco Simoncelli at the head of the pack.

Crutchlow said he was happy to be coping with the challenge of adapting to the lighter and more powerful YZR-M1 after his switch from World Superbikes at the end of last season.

And he was also satisfied to have been able to lap consistently in the 2.02 bracket.
Speaking to MCN he said: "I feel more comfortable on the bike but I'm still riding it like a superbike. There are about five things I need to improve but I try and do one at a time and normally when I do one I forget about the others and it is really mentally taxing. If you'd have said to me first time here having never seen the circuit and being in the 2s, I'd have taken that. If you look at the others in that sort of area, Capirossi has been riding for years in MotoGP. Elias has won a MotoGP race before and he's Moto2 world champion. I can't really ask for much more than what I'm doing at the moment."

Crutchlow said he still needs to break old WSB habits that creep into his riding but he completed nearly 130 laps to gain vital experience ahead of his rookie season in the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team.

He added: "I'm used to a superbike and doing everything really smooth to be honest. They do things quite harsh here and it works. They brake so hard and they release the brake so fast. They go round the corner so fast and then they open the throttle so hard but they pick the bike up. On a superbike you pick the bike up but not as fast as here. And it is twice as physical as riding a superbike. That's power and weight and stiffness of the chassis and how late you brake because the braking zone is so small. The faster you go the better the bike feels but it is getting to do it. It doesn't feel that natural yet but I'm not that far away."
Grinchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero
Feedback Rating: (0)

'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
It's weird.. he's describing them as riding 800's the way guys used to describe riding superbikes and riding superbikes like they used to ride 250's.

No wonder he's lost!
Blog | Pics | YouTube
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
Big and Cranky...
Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

I think he may turn some heads this season.

The doctor is still my top pick however
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

The real shocker is that he crashed his brains out...

I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Does anyone else read that as: "I can (and should) be a complete dumbshit with the controls, and the electronics make it all work!"
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Crutch who? Who dat?
New weapon - "Green Hornet Kato Style powered by Stoner's blood drop stolen by Melandri injected by Lascorz"
alrova is offline   Reply With Quote