MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #21
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
they're still baffled at the fact that Mexico has roads...

They're trying to figure out how it is that they didn't see a single Burro in the video...They think it's a hoax... It's not really Mexico.

You're a liar Sunday Rider!
I am very sure this video will come as a surprise for many of those who have not taken the time to really understand our neighbor country south of the border, like always.... the bad news always gets mentioned in the USA but never the good things that happen mainly because there is a greater interest to report "bad" news rather than positive news....

The other news that will be a shock to everyone hating on Mexico is that unlike the USA that has an ever growing budget deficit, the Mexican Govt have a very healthy budget surplus with an expected growth rate of 3.6% for the first 3 quarters of 2011! This all translates to better infrastructure maintenance and development while we in Houston will see more and more potholes on the road due to an unhealthy budget deficit!

Back in 2009, was the first time i saw 2 Bugattis at a downtown steak house.....(zona Polanco, Ave. Presidente Masarik) it's 2011 now and i still havent seen a single one in person here in Texas!

Last edited by sunday_rider; 01-29-2011 at 01:38 PM.
sunday_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #22
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

I'm from Monterrey, and I love my city, it has a bunch of beautiful places inside the city as well as outside, within a couple of hours driving.
I've been to Guadalajara, talk about a beautiful place, also Aguascalientes, while a small city, the people are very helpful and the city is crazy clean. And some other places as well, and every city has bad places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #23
G1xx3rGuy08
1dizzie

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
gixxer 1000
600rr stunna!!!

I used to go when i was younger to san luis potosi an huadalajara, we used to pull over on the side of the road and pick the mangos and aquaates from the trees and munch out on them, but nothing like living in the fields
Old 01-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #24
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcknstrips View Post
I'm from Monterrey, and I love my city, it has a bunch of beautiful places inside the city as well as outside, within a couple of hours driving.
I've been to Guadalajara, talk about a beautiful place, also Aguascalientes, while a small city, the people are very helpful and the city is crazy clean. And some other places as well, and every city has bad places.
Monterrey is beautiful but a little too hot for me lol i visit the industial city 10 time a year as we keep a dacility open inside Simeprode in the Santa Catarina are Carretera a Colombia. Being so close to the USA, everything looks like Houston, the malls, restaurants, universities etc.

They dont call Guadalajara the city of roses for nothing, it is still a very colonial mid size city and they have kept the spanish influenced architecture intact!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #25
Tim Vipond
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Last edited by Tim Vipond; 01-29-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Tim Vipond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #26
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
I am very sure this video will come as a surprise for many of those who have not taken the time to really understand our neighbor country south of the border, like always.... the bad news always gets mentioned in the USA but never the good things that happen mainly because there is a greater interest to report "bad" news rather than positive news....

The other news that will be a shock to everyone hating on Mexico is that unlike the USA that has an ever growing budget deficit, the Mexican Govt have a very healthy budget surplus with an expected growth rate of 3.6% for the first 3 quarters of 2011! This all translates to better infrastructure maintenance and development while we in Houston will see more and more potholes on the road due to an unhealthy budget deficit!

Back in 2009, was the first time i saw 2 Bugattis at a downtown steak house.....(zona Polanco, Ave. Presidente Masarik) it's 2011 now and i still havent seen a single one in person here in Texas!
I have several theories on how this is achieved. All but one are based on illegals coming here.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #27
Moc05
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 ZZR600(Sold)
2008 ZX-10R(Stolen)
2014 Honda Grom

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Moc05 Send a message via Yahoo to Moc05
Did you ride the Duc on the Maxipista?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #28
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
I have several theories on how this is achieved. All but one are based on illegals coming here.
That theory is mainly political propaganda! The fact is that during the end of 2008 when recession begun in this country many illegal immigrants decided to go back to their homeland for good!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,409221,00.html

http://blogs.reuters.com/global/2009...-in-recession/

The biggest contributor to any country's healthy economy is the GDP and its trade balance in relation to the rest of the world! Look at each country as a big corporation that does business with other corporations, The USA is buying more and selling less, so there is a big gap in trade balance with many countries. Since we are buying more, there is no need to manufacture so that means less factories and less jobs in the market.

Yes i agree that a lot of Mexican families depend on the money sent by their members in the USA, but seriously, how much money do they get paid here? now deduct their own expenses of living here and you will find out that the money they send to Mexico can barely afford a descent meal at home. All of that money is used solely for their basic necessities in order to survive another month so there is not a lot of extra money laying around to contribute to the actual economy because they cannot go shopping or buy big ticket items, people in that position are most likely to stay poor most of their lives.

Mexico has a lot of natural resources such as oil, minerals and yes Coronas and Tequila! thanks to those exports they are able to balance their trade deficit with the rest of the world and because their trade balance sheet looks healthy, companies such as Toyota, Nissan, BMW, VW, GMC, and many others go to mexico and invest a great deal of money contributing to their local economy, at the end it is a mutual beneficial relationship! Only big companies have any weight to affect the economy of any country! More foreign investment means more taxes for the govt and more manufacturing plants mean more jobs for the market which in return creates a healthy economy environment!
Old 01-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #29
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moc05 View Post
Did you ride the Duc on the Maxipista?
nope, i had a 05 CBR 600 RR back then.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #30
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
You must have missed the one in Clear Lake then.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/6718117.html
260xStory
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #31
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Monterrey is beautiful but a little too hot for me lol i visit the industial city 10 time a year as we keep a dacility open inside Simeprode in the Santa Catarina are Carretera a Colombia. Being so close to the USA, everything looks like Houston, the malls, restaurants, universities etc.

They dont call Guadalajara the city of roses for nothing, it is still a very colonial mid size city and they have kept the spanish influenced architecture intact!
sorry for the misspelling but posting from my iphone sucks lol
Old 01-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #32
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
You must have missed the one in Clear Lake then.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/6718117.html
260xStory
i remember seeing that on the news, but what i meant was actual seeing one in person and not on tv.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #33
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vipond View Post
I miss the roads in and around the Copper Canyon...

I started going down there with friends around 1994 up until a few years ago. Fantastic roads, smooth surfaces, more race track quality corners than you can count, huge elevation changes, beautiful scenery in every direction, no cops, no traffic, empty restaurants, cheap drinks, great food. Take all the best roads in the US, string them all together and that is what we road for a week down there. And in February.
Yes, when i first moved down there i was surprised to see how well maintained their roads were. While in Mexico i had the pleasure of traveling to many colonial towns and explore their coast line in the pacific side and the caribbean side.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #34
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

true. I agree that the border of mexico is giving the rest a bad name. My daughter just got back from a trip and went through mexico city and she was fine.
I was a bit nervous for her to travel there but it was all OK.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #35
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
true. I agree that the border of mexico is giving the rest a bad name. My daughter just got back from a trip and went through mexico city and she was fine.
I was a bit nervous for her to travel there but it was all OK.
Mexico city is relatively safe place compared to the border towns. Most of the cartels are trying to compete for the "plaza" (territory) closer to the US so they can control the drug traffic into this country.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #36
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I am glad to find a few folks who share my views on Mexico. Great country, friendly people, good food, nice scenery, amazing cost of living, and some spots I consider motorcycle heaven. Too bad getting there is such a pain right now.

Peter
Old 01-29-2011, 09:05 PM   #37
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
That theory is mainly political propaganda! The fact is that during the end of 2008 when recession begun in this country many illegal immigrants decided to go back to their homeland for good!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,409221,00.html

http://blogs.reuters.com/global/2009...-in-recession/

The biggest contributor to any country's healthy economy is the GDP and its trade balance in relation to the rest of the world! Look at each country as a big corporation that does business with other corporations, The USA is buying more and selling less, so there is a big gap in trade balance with many countries. Since we are buying more, there is no need to manufacture so that means less factories and less jobs in the market.

Yes i agree that a lot of Mexican families depend on the money sent by their members in the USA, but seriously, how much money do they get paid here? now deduct their own expenses of living here and you will find out that the money they send to Mexico can barely afford a descent meal at home. All of that money is used solely for their basic necessities in order to survive another month so there is not a lot of extra money laying around to contribute to the actual economy because they cannot go shopping or buy big ticket items, people in that position are most likely to stay poor most of their lives.

Mexico has a lot of natural resources such as oil, minerals and yes Coronas and Tequila! thanks to those exports they are able to balance their trade deficit with the rest of the world and because their trade balance sheet looks healthy, companies such as Toyota, Nissan, BMW, VW, GMC, and many others go to mexico and invest a great deal of money contributing to their local economy, at the end it is a mutual beneficial relationship! Only big companies have any weight to affect the economy of any country! More foreign investment means more taxes for the govt and more manufacturing plants mean more jobs for the market which in return creates a healthy economy environment!
Nice summary! The fact that they are selling quite a bit, borrowing nothing, and actually taking a stab at narcos makes me optimistic about the middle term and long term future of Mexico. I have always wanted to take a year long life vacation there with my family. Recent events scare my wife too much but my brother plans to buy a house in Guanajuato, so I am sure at some point we will spend a chunk of time there.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #38
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Nice summary! The fact that they are selling quite a bit, borrowing nothing, and actually taking a stab at narcos makes me optimistic about the middle term and long term future of Mexico. I have always wanted to take a year long life vacation there with my family. Recent events scare my wife too much but my brother plans to buy a house in Guanajuato, so I am sure at some point we will spend a chunk of time there.
Guanajuato is a beautiful place, been there many many times and i know those tunnels by heart now lol, i was so lucky to be there during their "Festival Cervantino" and participate in their "callejonadas". Good times and good people! Whenever i visit Guanajuato i like to stay at "Castillo Santa Cecilia", a very nice medieval castle!

Buying a house in Mexico makes a lot more sense investment wise compared to buying one in Houston, most people do not know that the govt has almost a guarantee that the value will go up every year, the actual term used is "Plusvalia". I have a residential property in fraccionamiento "Puerta de Hierro" in Guadalajara that i am renting it out now that is giving me a plusvalia of 8% per year!

The other plus side of buying properties in Mexico is that you don't have to pay any property taxes for the first 2 years of owning the house, after that period home owners pay a "one time" property tax based on the value of the house and never worry about it again!

If you are a U.S. citizen and do not hold double nationality, you might want to research on the "Fideicomiso" services that most banks offer for foreign investors. As stated by their constitution, only Mexican Nationals may own lands and properties so the fideicomiso is a legal loophole to work around it! Every bank charges almost the same but some offer financing and some do not!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #39
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Guanajuato is a beautiful place, been there many many times and i know those tunnels by heart now lol, i was so lucky to be there during their "Festival Cervantino" and participate in their "callejonadas". Good times and good people! Whenever i visit Guanajuato i like to stay at "Castillo Santa Cecilia", a very nice medieval castle!

Buying a house in Mexico makes a lot more sense investment wise compared to buying one in Houston, most people do not know that the govt has almost a guarantee that the value will go up every year, the actual term used is "Plusvalia". I have a residential property in fraccionamiento "Puerta de Hierro" in Guadalajara that i am renting it out now that is giving me a plusvalia of 8% per year!

The other plus side of buying properties in Mexico is that you don't have to pay any property taxes for the first 2 years of owning the house, after that period home owners pay a "one time" property tax based on the value of the house and never worry about it again!

If you are a U.S. citizen and do not hold double nationality, you might want to research on the "Fideicomiso" services that most banks offer for foreign investors. As stated by their constitution, only Mexican Nationals may own lands and properties so the fideicomiso is a legal loophole to work around it! Every bank charges almost the same but some offer financing and some do not!
I believe foreign nationals can own property but only if it's within certain distance from the beaches, I may be wrong though, so the fideicomiso is a nice way to get around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #40
crazivi3tdude
Commander in Chief !!!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Mongoose
C