MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
NisAznMonk
USAF n00b

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Honda CB400 Super Four

Send a message via AIM to NisAznMonk
Critique this bike please

Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So, let's critique this video Rttoys General Discussion (Moto Related) 120 07-10-2015 05:16 PM
Critique my cornering Salty General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 03-18-2014 10:18 AM
Track Critique SGT USMC 0311 Taking it to the Track 22 07-08-2013 01:30 PM
Body Position Critique FKNA Taking it to the Track 33 11-09-2011 08:24 AM
Please critique my work Mr F. Off Topic 45 08-19-2011 01:58 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
Shark

check clutch adjustment, motor noise, headbearings. Make sure to check C-list in your area to see what else is available in that price range.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
bentgixxer

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
I has no bike :(
'14 Polaris 550 touring

Send a message via Yahoo to bentgixxer
looks nice, if the owner would let you, take it to a shop like motorcycles unlimited, and get a onceover by a mechanic.
We'll call it Corpsefish and Horsenuts.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:54 PM   #4
rickykline
super squid

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
1999 yamaha r1 RIP
2005 zx10r

thats things older than chris24s old bike lol.... looks pretty clean though.. check what shark said to and you should be alright..2000 seems alittle high also

I WISH MY GRASS WAS EMO SO IT WOULD CUT ITSELF....
Old 08-26-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

if the chain is that neglected, what don't you see? Have it checked by a pro. If you really like the bike, any repairs needed should come out of the price of the bike.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
Old 08-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
Wideout

Bike(s):
'08 busa

Keep looking.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #7
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

i would pass

Unless you get a really good deal on it (<1000), I would pass b/c older bikes mean a lil bit more maintenance and less aftermarket pieces. When you start heading out and seeing other peoples bikes you are going to want to upgrade really quickly. Although there are better bikes to start out on, I know many people that got late 90's early 2000 model 600's and did just fine. If you want to go the 600 route, look at the F3, F4's, FZR 600. If you choose to go the 250 route, you can almost always sell it for what you payed for it or take a slight hit.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:14 PM   #8
bentgixxer

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
I has no bike :(
'14 Polaris 550 touring

Send a message via Yahoo to bentgixxer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR
if the chain is that neglected, what don't you see? Have it checked by a pro. If you really like the bike, any repairs needed should come out of the price of the bike.
i dont see a chain in the pics. i think you saw the one in my sig, of my f3 im workin on.
We'll call it Corpsefish and Horsenuts.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #9
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
hahaha. yes. i had a very similar bike. mine was a 1990 FZR 1000. i had paid 1500 for it, and it was probably in about the same condition. i may have paid a little too much, but still not a bad deal. i would offer her 1250, and see what she says. i wouldnt pay more than 1500 for that bike.

yes, it would make a good, inexpensive bike to learn on. dont let that fool you into thinking the bike is too weak though. its still a high performance machine. maybe not as much as todays R6, but trust me, i am sure that bike can still haul some .

i say go for it. where is the bike at? i would be willing to go look at it and give you my opinion if its not too far. i wouldnt charge you anything, id get a kick out the nostalgia factor.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:19 PM   #10
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

ugly
Old 08-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #11
rickykline
super squid

Bike(s):
1999 yamaha r1 RIP
2005 zx10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
ugly
your what? lol

Old 08-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #12
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k
Unless you get a really good deal on it (<1000), I would pass b/c older bikes mean a lil bit more maintenance and less aftermarket pieces. When you start heading out and seeing other peoples bikes you are going to want to upgrade really quickly. Although there are better bikes to start out on, I know many people that got late 90's early 2000 model 600's and did just fine. If you want to go the 600 route, look at the F3, F4's, FZR 600. If you choose to go the 250 route, you can almost always sell it for what you payed for it or take a slight hit.
please stop spewing forth dumb stuff.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
Old 08-26-2006, 07:23 PM   #13
rickykline
super squid

Bike(s):
1999 yamaha r1 RIP
2005 zx10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187
haha....

Old 08-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #14
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24
hahaha. yes. i had a very similar bike. mine was a 1990 FZR 1000. i had paid 1500 for it, and it was probably in about the same condition. i may have paid a little too much, but still not a bad deal. i would offer her 1250, and see what she says. i wouldnt pay more than 1500 for that bike.

yes, it would make a good, inexpensive bike to learn on. dont let that fool you into thinking the bike is too weak though. its still a high performance machine. maybe not as much as todays R6, but trust me, i am sure that bike can still haul some .

i say go for it. where is the bike at? i would be willing to go look at it and give you my opinion if its not too far. i wouldnt charge you anything, id get a kick out the nostalgia factor.
wonder what condition the fox shock is in?? any way tha'ts ome good advice. that bike is still fast. yeah might not be the prettiest thing out there. BUT it's a learner bike. actually if yo ugo here.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yam...r_600_1991.php

you'll see the thing has a top speed of 140mph more than enough to get you somewhere on the street. to be hoenst though I'd start on something smaller. first and foremost don't listen to idiots telling you to get a newer bike you'll only have this one for 6 months to a year then move up.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:26 PM   #15
rickykline
super squid

Bike(s):
1999 yamaha r1 RIP
2005 zx10r

+1

Old 08-26-2006, 07:26 PM   #16
paniro187

also i would offer 1000 no more. because of the age who knows what maintenance needs to be done......oil change etc.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:30 PM   #17
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
andre, what u said kind of makes sense if he plans on keeping the bike. but from what he said he just wants something to learn on, w/o having to make a big investment at first. this bike is awesome for that, and as far as resale, its basicly in the same category as the 250's. good to learn on and not in high demand, so its low price and holds what little value it has.

the cool thing about it, is even though its priced like a ninja 250, it is a of a lot cooler! in any kind of race i would put my money on this bike over a brand new ninja 250. either way, you only keep a beginer bike for about 3-6months, but with this one, at least your not bored with it for the last 2 of those months. haha.

monk, one thing to ask yourself is when you will be financially ready for another bike. if its now or in 3-6 months, then cool. if it might be longer, you have to realise your making a bigger commitment, and it might be smarter to save and get something a little better.

if you got any questions feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Chris24; 08-26-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:56 PM   #18
NisAznMonk
USAF n00b

Bike(s):
Honda CB400 Super Four

Send a message via AIM to NisAznMonk
Thanks for all of the input. If there are anymore comments please keep them comng.

I'm in the Air Force and I'm currently stationed at GoodFellow AFB in San Angelo, TX. That bike belongs to a female that is PCS-ing (moving to a different base) pretty soon. I don't know how soon yet, but I was hoping I could use that as leverage to lower the price to MAYBE $1500 or less.

I just wanted something cheap that I could abuse and learn to fix minor things. I'm going to Kadena AFB (Japan) sometime after Feb 2007 and I won't be able to ship this thing with me. I figured if I could get it for a really cheap price then I could sell it before I leave and lose very little if any money on it.

Main concern? I'm a n00b. Any comments?
Old 08-26-2006, 08:10 PM   #19
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer
i dont see a chain in the pics. i think you saw the one in my sig, of my f3 im workin on.
I sure did! DOH!! I saw your sig in another thread and came back here to correct myself.

I still stick to the rest of my advice though.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
Old 08-26-2006, 08:12 PM   #20
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187
Did you even read my post. I only stated that it's an older model bike and he's going to want a newer bike. Not a bigger bike, or really expensive bike, but a newer bike. Nothing wrong with it, but he asked for opinions. I gave my opinion. I wasn't rude with the guy, just gave my honest take on it. Now I could have come back in typical motohouston fashion, and started talking because of your rude post, but I'm not gonna out this guys thread.
Closed Thread

Advertisement