MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
wakebum2507

Feedback Rating: (0)

FZR600 project possibilities

alright, so theres an FZR600 project bike on craigslist listed in my town, and from what the guy has said, its in almost running condition. he says all it needs is a battery and some carb work, but that it will start up. he has it listed for 500, and and id love to make a cool streetfighter out of it. here is where i need help: ive seen pics of different tail sections put on these, and different front light assemblies. im sure i can do the work myself, as i love to tinker around with stuff. im sure the bike needs new tires, and a few other assorted goodies before it is road worthy. what do you guys think i could have it in working order for? under 1000$? for the carb work and tires, and a battery? it would be my first bike, and i want to get a beater that i dont have to worry about laying down or anything big like that. or if anyone reading that has anything for under 1000 that they would be willing to part with, id love to hear from you. if anyone has any ideas for me, or advice, please let me know. secondly, how much would insurance and tagging on a project like this cost? i wouldnt want full coverage, just liability. and the title is clean and clear. let me know!
wakebum2507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fzr600 :) sl0w1 Stunters Lounge 3 01-24-2012 02:10 PM
Custom Possibilities flipstyledsm22 General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 11-23-2011 12:42 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Tires, battery and carb work should be doable for less than $100.00.
My question would be if there's anything else it might need?
What shape are the fork sea;s, chain and brakes in?
Is the tank rusted inside?
Is the transmission in good shape?
What about the charging system?
Why was the bike allowed to sit up to begin with? was there a mechanical issue?
Non running project bikes can turn into nightmares quickly if they were laid up for a reason.
I'm not saying to not get it, just beware.

If you can get the seller to bring it by I'll look it over, no charge.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

96 FZR 600 was my first bike and it was awesome! Definitely fast, but not silly fast like the newer 600s (but still fast enough to bite).

Airtech-streamlining makes aftermarket fairing kits for the FZR (or they used to at least). The tail is fugly and boxy, but airtech has a R1-esque kit that cleans it up awful purdy like. Just a matter of $$$.

When I bought mine it was running and rideable - storage unit baby.
But like Patrick said, non-running could be hiding a BUNCH of issues. Thats not to say the seller is being dishonest, its just that so many things could have manifested while the bike sat. I would strongly encourage having it looked over if possible. If you cant get it by Motorcycles Unlimited, I would bet someone on MH in the know could swing out and give it a look (of course I have no idea where you are, so that could change that. lol)

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
wakebum2507

thank you guys so much. i would love to bring it by somehwhere, but the bike is in oklahoma city, near stillwater, where i go to school(OSU). im a houston native, and come back on the breaks, and got turned on to MH while i was in highschool. i asked the seller about coming and taking the bike to a shop to have it looked over, so i hope to hear back from him soon. you guys wouldnt know anyone in houston trying to sell a beater would you? just looking for a 600 to get my feet wet
wakebum2507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebum2507 View Post
thank you guys so much. i would love to bring it by somehwhere, but the bike is in oklahoma city, near stillwater, where i go to school(OSU). im a houston native, and come back on the breaks, and got turned on to MH while i was in highschool. i asked the seller about coming and taking the bike to a shop to have it looked over, so i hope to hear back from him soon. you guys wouldnt know anyone in houston trying to sell a beater would you? just looking for a 600 to get my feet wet
Keep checking the MH bikes for sale thread. You dont have to settle on a "beater" to get a good deal. Youd be amazed what you can get for a grand.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
dex2001

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
DUC 1098s
YAM FZR600 (SOLD)

FZR 600

Definitely change the tail.
You can either chop the sub frame and mount a cafe tail, or do a R6 tail conversion; I went the café tail and YFZ tank swap route (pic attached).

There are a lot of different mods to consider.

Those FZR are easy to ride and more forgiving than most bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	one.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	41764  
dex2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
dex2001

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
DUC 1098s
YAM FZR600 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Tires, battery and carb work should be doable for less than $100.00.
My question would be if there's anything else it might need?
What shape are the fork sea;s, chain and brakes in?
Is the tank rusted inside?
Is the transmission in good shape?
What about the charging system?
Why was the bike allowed to sit up to begin with? was there a mechanical issue?
Non running project bikes can turn into nightmares quickly if they were laid up for a reason.
I'm not saying to not get it, just beware.

If you can get the seller to bring it by I'll look it over, no charge.
All that for less than $100.00 ... wow.
dex2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement