MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #21
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
To each their own. I tried on a fieldsheer leather 1pc and it felt like a mesh suit. Paper thin, on par to a Rhino. Maybe some of their other stuff is better, most brands have a heirarchy of quality. Hence why Puma and REV'IT have made it onto motogp riders.
Either way, both are mid-pack along with Teknic (prob the best of them).

Besides the Arlen Ness, Komodo, A*, Custom suits (etc), leather holding up is dependant. Go read some reviews about people lowsiding in a $1100 Dianese suit at 35-40mph and they tear apart at the seams. Some of the midpack brands listed above, allowed their riders to walk away after a 70mph highside. It's luck of the draw, dependant, or whatever, if you're not buying the very few "proven brands".

So wait, you're basing your opinion of the quality of suit based on how it felt when you tried it on? I don't think thats a fair assessment at all.

I personally was skeptical about purchasing a fieldsheer suit because in my mind fieldsheer was a brand (from my experience with their soccer gear from about a decade ago), but was assured by a couple of CMRA guys that they had crashed multiple times, going fast, and were still wearing their suits. Everyone I know that had FT suits 3 years ago when I bought my fieldsheer said that the seams had blown apart on the first crash. I didn't give a what it felt like so long as people in the know said that they lived.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frank Thomas Grimace Gear Talk 8 07-29-2010 12:50 AM
Frank Thomas Opinions tef Gear Talk 17 01-27-2010 06:06 AM
Frank Thomas gear? tonyt915 Gear Talk 3 01-03-2009 12:04 PM
Frank Thomas zipper matemike Gear Talk 5 06-07-2008 07:00 PM
Frank Thomas 2 piece Ramius Gear Talk 3 11-23-2006 08:30 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #22
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphant675r View Post
I'll be getting a new jacket in spring I hope, it will be my first NEW jacket, and I really like the way A* and dainiese fit. they're just so expensive, but it should last me a long time.
you cant go wrong with either brand i personally like alpinestars just because their sizing fit me better. If you look at it on a long run, both brands comes out to be cheaper on a cost/days basis.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #23
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
So wait, you're basing your opinion of the quality of suit based on how it felt when you tried it on? I don't think thats a fair assessment at all.

I personally was skeptical about purchasing a fieldsheer suit because in my mind fieldsheer was a brand (from my experience with their soccer gear from about a decade ago), but was assured by a couple of CMRA guys that they had crashed multiple times, going fast, and were still wearing their suits. Everyone I know that had FT suits 3 years ago when I bought my fieldsheer said that the seams had blown apart on the first crash. I didn't give a what it felt like so long as people in the know said that they lived.
Did you even READ my post?....Really? It's situational...again. I tried on one that felt shitty, maybe they all aren't. It's my opinion. For every one of your "buddies" that tore apart theirs, there are an equal number of stories of ones holding together in crashes. Both FT and Fieldsheer have mixed crashed reviews....or was the word "dependant" not clear enough?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #24
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Did you even READ my post?....Really? It's situational...again. I tried on one that felt shitty, maybe they all aren't. It's my opinion. For every one of your "buddies" that tore apart theirs, there are an equal number of stories of ones holding together in crashes. Both FT and Fieldsheer have mixed crashed reviews....or was the word "dependant" not clear enough?
why would you even consider buying something with a mixed crash review?

let's say you are shopping for a new car and the same dealer offer 2 versions of the car you like, the first one is their full priced version and then they have a 30% cheaper version that have airbags 50% smaller than the full version, same logic here, which one would you buy having safety and protection in mind?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #25
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
i have seen 2 riders go down wearing F.T. gear and the stitches came apart on gloves, pants, and mesh jackets. It was a minor accident, i can only imagine what would have happened if it was a major accident. Again, it is your skin and your body but if i had the choice i would rather buy something that has been race proven rather than go for value when it comes to safety and protection, one thing for sure, you will never see Rossi, Stoner or Lorenzo wear Frank Thomas.
So one incident solidifies your decision? Guess you won't be buying dianese either... POST #6,7,8
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/11-ducat...-leathers.html

That was a 10 sec google search.
Point in case, there are brands that hold up better, its situational based.

PS-MotoGP riders wear a few brands no local jock would SWEAR against...
Do your homework and stop reading all the ads on Speed channel.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #26
Jefe

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'12 Haro Flightline 29er
'09 R6 (sold)
'07 V-Star 1100 Custom (sold)
'01 F4i (sold)

Of course safety/protection is important, but if someone is looking for a good reliable/quality jacket, without breaking the bank, what choices are there? A* and Dianese are ideal, but a bit pricey.
How about Joe Rocket, Icon, First Gear, Scorpion, Shift, S&S. I know some companies make products, that's why I ask. Need to stay away from those. I hope this thread helps others as well.

Thanks again for your input and opinions.
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #27
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
why would you even consider buying something with a mixed crash review?

let's say you are shopping for a new car and the same dealer offer 2 versions of the car you like, the first one is their full priced version and then they have a 30% cheaper version that have airbags 50% smaller than the full version, same logic here, which one would you buy having safety and protection in mind?
Not everyone is as....."fortunate" as you, to spend $1000+ on a suit.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #28
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
So one incident solidifies your decision? Guess you won't be buying dianese either... POST #6,7,8
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/11-ducat...-leathers.html

That was a 10 sec google search.
Point in case, there are brands that hold up better, its situational based.

you know there is an old saying "you get for what you paid for" plain and simple
Old 01-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #29
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
you know there is an old saying "you get for what you paid for" plain and simple
So according to you and the thread above, paying $1100 for a Dianese suit should net you ONE use on a slow horseshoe crash????
Old 01-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #30
Jefe

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'12 Haro Flightline 29er
'09 R6 (sold)
'07 V-Star 1100 Custom (sold)
'01 F4i (sold)

Quote:

I would love to have the Speed channel!

I want U-verse!
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #31
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Not everyone is as....."fortunate" as you, to spend $1000+ on a suit.
do the math and you will know that is not about cost, it's about wise spending....

a $40 usd/pair of gloves might last you 6 month before it starts to fall apart so that is aprox. 0.22 cents/day vs a glove that might cost you $70 usd/pair that last about a year, that is aprox. 0.19 cents/day! You tell me which one is cheaper?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #32
r6rb-ray

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2009 r6, 2002 r6 fighter, 2002 cr125, 83 gs1100

i have a frank thomas xti full leather suit and i went down at the track at 50mph or so, lowside-stitching is perfect leather is scuffed but i figure it just adds character
r6rb-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #33
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
do the math and you will know that is not about cost, it's about wise spending....

a $40 usd/pair of gloves might last you 6 month before it starts to fall apart so that is aprox. 0.22 cents/day vs a glove that might cost you $70 usd/pair that last about a year, that is aprox. 0.19 cents/day! You tell me which one is cheaper?
hey, you watch it with that math! we dont take too kindly to that fancy book learnin' round here!

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #34
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:

So with that logic.

$1100 dianese suit crashed on first day is 110,000 cents/day.

$600 teknic suit crashed after 25 trackdays is 2,400 cents/day.

Which one denotes wiser spending? Unless it satisfies your love of "branding" of course. Once again, situational. Brands have mixed reviews. Period.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #35
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
So with that logic.

$1100 dianese suit crashed on first day is 110,000 cents/day.

$600 teknic suit crashed after 25 trackdays is 2,400 cents/day.

Which one denotes wiser spending? Unless it satisfies your love of "branding" of course. Once again, situational. Brands have mixed reviews. Period.
you are applying the logic to the wrong concept, i didn't say anything about crashing here, i was basing the estimate on normal wear and tear! The crashing factor is all rider dependent! If i was wearing the Dainese suit it will probably last me 3-4 years since i havent done a single track day so the chances for me to crash are very slim lol
Old 01-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #36
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
you are applying the logic to the wrong concept, i didn't say anything about crashing here, i was basing the estimate on normal wear and tear! The crashing factor is all rider dependent! If i was wearing the Dainese suit it will probably last me 3-4 years since i havent done a single track day so the chances for me to crash are very slim lol
That's the whole reason you wear gear, for the crash!
Otherwise why even wear it?

All leather lasts for a pretty long time actually if taken care of. It's pretty durable, being on cows/kangaroos and all...
Old 01-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #37
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Quote:
then perhaps you can explain why much, much cheaper brand helmets crash test better than the fancy schmancy shoeis, arais, suomys, etc.

fact is, people will buy things BECAUSE theyre expensive and fashionable. period. deny it all you want, this is fact, and people will always say "well when it comes to my safety im not gonna skimp on the cash", which is fine, but the honest truth is its for looks and bragging rights more than it is about safety. this is why people treat their lids like theyre their children. its sad, really.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #38
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
then perhaps you can explain why much, much cheaper brand helmets crash test better than the fancy schmancy shoeis, arais, suomys, etc.

fact is, people will buy things BECAUSE theyre expensive and fashionable. period. deny it all you want, this is fact, and people will always say "well when it comes to my safety im not gonna skimp on the cash", which is fine, but the honest truth is its for looks and bragging rights more than it is about safety. this is why people treat their lids like theyre their children. its sad, really.
I do not agree but respect your point of view! Not all helmets are created equal! Cheap helmets might offer comparable protection but do not offer the weight saving, wind noise, cheek pad quality as the high en helmets! so it really depends on what you are looking for in any product!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #39
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

One thing that many people miss when looking for gear is HOW COMFORTABLE it fits.

Case in point, I have a pair of A*s SMX plus boots, they seem to have tons of protection, but you know what? I regret buying them, they are uncomfortable as , one time at the track I downshifted by accident and scared the out of me, and just can;t feel the pegs like I would like.

Enter the FT sport boots, they still have good protection, do they compare to the A*s? of course not, but boy, they fit me like a pair of Stacy Adams and I can feel everything going on at the pegs, that alone made them my favorites so far. With the A*s it feels like being on the bike at the track is such a chore! At the end, I feel safer with the FT.

Just be honest with ourselves, many guys and gals get certain brands because of they pretty designs, it's like fashion, and others equal elevated price with safety, how good is something you wear and you're fighting with it just because you don't feel comfrtable wearing it?

Nothing beats trying something to know it's the right piece of gear, we all have different body types/feet/hands, so there's no universal panacea, one size (or brand) does not fits all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #40
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Quote:
I do not agree but respect your point of view! Not all helmets are created equal! Cheap helmets might offer comparable protection but do not offer the weight saving, wind noise, cheek pad quality as the high en helmets! so it really depends on what you are looking for in any product!
so then you would agree that when it comes to safety, the ol "i buy the most expensive thing i can get my hands on because its the mostest safetst product" mantra doesnt apply? my point is that just because a product is half the price, doesnt mean it doesnt offer comparable protection. thats all.

Advertisement