MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Heading to Latin America???

I am copying and pasting an email I wrote to a friend of mine who is going to Central / Latin America for the summer on his bike. After I finished it, I thought maybe some of the folks on MotoHouston who like to rack up serious miles and adventures might like to read what other guys are doing south of the border and gain an appreciation for what culture and life is like down there....From my email...

Tricepilot (Bob from San Antonio, my roommate in Big Bend)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641360
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437533
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287754
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517192

Same as it ever was by Misery Goat
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582583

Three Months on a Husky TE610 by Fishfund
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431849

Canada to Argentina on 2010 by Betitolara (a couple on two bikes...very well done)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620023

No Fumar Espanor... by Crashmaster
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501881

Mas Caminos...by Sasper
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608750

Yet another KLR succombed to latin fever by igorshen
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526389

Panama and back on a sherpa....by JDowns
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566414

Age against the machine... by vermin
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497639

33 1/3 by Throttlemeister
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494866

By the time you read all these, it'll probably be March.

Mr. P
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Japaneiro's (sushi bistro + latin grill), 10-24-11 switch Events, Meets and Rides 13 10-25-2011 09:32 AM
Latin, anyone speaks/writes it? pwned Off Topic 7 09-14-2011 02:36 PM
GET YOUR VERY OWN LATIN LOVER FastLine Off Topic 5 03-28-2008 09:52 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
eltejano
I smell pretty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Is he riding through Mexico? If so, that is an incredibly horrible idea right now. Guy that used ot work with me drove to south Mexico months ago and he barely made it out of there alive.

He had to wipe out his bank account paying crooked cops to the tune of about 9,000 dollars not to mention the few times they had to make a run for it from robbers. He used to drive that drive numerous times a year since he was in high school togo surf but this last one was probably the last.

Good luck with the trip.

I would LOVE to ride through Mexico, its beautiful. You couldnt pay me enough to ride through that country.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
smokinjoe
Seņor Membero

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Honor Cycle 5000
╯°□°)╯┻━┻

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to smokinjoe
The panama and back on a Sherpa 250 was an awesome read. It was dated 2010 and he said how he blended in and survived there and back.

If my Spanish was better and Mexico wasn't so dangerous I'd love to try this... But for now Ill just dream about flying to costa rica and Renting a bike
Old 01-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
But for now Ill just dream about flying to costa rica and Renting a bike
lots of beautifull woman there too.... going with girlfriend to peru next year and her brother rides. cant wait from the pictures the place is awesome
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
smokinjoe
Seņor Membero

Bike(s):
Honor Cycle 5000
╯°□°)╯┻━┻

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
lots of beautifull woman there too....
and I have a thing for Latin ladies too Brazil would also be heaven for me but I don't know a lick of Portuguese.

Too bad the jdown guy didn't take more pics of the local chicks, he talked about them though in his Sherpa 250 writeup
Old 01-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Is he riding through Mexico? If so, that is an incredibly horrible idea right now. Guy that used ot work with me drove to south Mexico months ago and he barely made it out of there alive.

He had to wipe out his bank account paying crooked cops to the tune of about 9,000 dollars not to mention the few times they had to make a run for it from robbers. He used to drive that drive numerous times a year since he was in high school togo surf but this last one was probably the last.

Good luck with the trip.

I would LOVE to ride through Mexico, its beautiful. You couldnt pay me enough to ride through that country.
Shaken down for $9000 is unheard of....$5 or $10 is fairly common, with a basic knowledge of how to get out of trouble being the best defence against being fleeced. Being smart and low profile go a very long way. Almost everyone agrees it's safe to go, but that you run a degree of risk of being deprived of your $$ or possessions if you act like a gringo in Mexico.

For everyone who's initial reaction similar to eltejano....click this link....it's all from 2010 and later and gives the honest impressions of a fairly large number of bikers who have been down there, some very recently.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546927
Old 01-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
and I have a thing for Latin ladies too Brazil would also be heaven for me but I don't know a lick of Portuguese.

Too bad the jdown guy didn't take more pics of the local chicks, he talked about them though in his Sherpa 250 writeup
ADV Rider is a husband / boyfriend friendly website....thank , or my wife would not let me travel at all. Pictures of beautiful foreign girls are encouraged to be kept off the forum lest some significant others get the mistaken impression their husbands go south for more than food and scenery. I've heard some of the stories first hand, the ones told by the single guys, that never should be published on a public forum. Leg humping material is usually deleted by the mods. With 154,000 members, usually 5000 on per day, they have to keep it civil.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
....and I have a thing for Latin ladies too
Who doesn't?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Who doesn't?
Oops, I forgot about Azylum...
Old 01-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
smokinjoe
Seņor Membero

Bike(s):
Honor Cycle 5000
╯°□°)╯┻━┻

Member Garage

Quote:
ADV Rider is a husband / boyfriend friendly website....thank , or my wife would not let me travel at all. Pictures of beautiful foreign girls are encouraged to be kept off the forum lest some significant others get the mistaken impression their husbands go south for more than food and scenery. I've heard some of the stories first hand, the ones told by the single guys, that never should be published on a public forum. Leg humping material is usually deleted by the mods. With 154,000 members, usually 5000 on per day, they have to keep it civil.
hmm good point, i should probably watch what i say
Quote:
Who doesn't?

Quote:
Oops, I forgot about Azylum...

I'm going to keep reading these and may even join ADV Rider. Dual sport is the reason i joined twtex back in 06. I'd love to get another ds bike but for a run through mexico I'd have to have a klr650 or something of the likes incase i needed to get on the gas.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110127/...ing_missionary
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

Quote:

I just spent 7 months in Brazil last year for work... trust me, you don't know the half of it, and you don't need to speak Portuguese to communicate All the Portuguese I learned was from a gf I had down there (she didn't speak English, I didn't speak Portuguese). In saying that though, I was very very glad to get back to the US... not my ideal place to live.

Quote:
I am copying and pasting an email I wrote to a friend of mine who is going to Central / Latin America for the summer on his bike. After I finished it, I thought maybe some of the folks on MotoHouston who like to rack up serious miles and adventures might like to read what other guys are doing south of the border and gain an appreciation for what culture and life is like down there....From my email...
I love ADVRider... fantastic site which unfortunately plugs my head with crazy dreams of adventure. I actually got a friend up in Montreal Canada who is driving down to the southern most tip of Chile this year, 3 month trip... so jealous.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson

Last edited by CDN_bacon; 01-27-2011 at 10:27 AM.
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #13
spartandude
Custom User Title

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Hmm, Aka'd Shadman?

ADVrider>inmates>search "Shadman">stats>Pedro Norte and Mex Trek 2009.

Very nice. All I've got are two day trips. I will go to big bend NP in the next year or so.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #14
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartandude View Post
Hmm, Aka'd Shadman?

ADVrider>inmates>search "Shadman">stats>Pedro Norte and Mex Trek 2009.

Very nice. All I've got are two day trips. I will go to big bend NP in the next year or so.
We've got a truck and trailer with one spot left headed there on Thurs the 24th and returning Sun the 28th if you wanna go. There will be street and dual sport bikes.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #15
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Looks like fun IF I had a dual sport and really cared to head that way. I still have lots of semi-safe North America to explore.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #17
spartandude
Custom User Title

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
We've got a truck and trailer with one spot left headed there on Thurs the 24th and returning Sun the 28th if you wanna go. There will be street and dual sport bikes.
I appreciate the offer, but I've got limited vacation and I am burning quite a bit for a DC trek. Plus, I've never had an Article 15 or other unfavorable actions and would like to keep it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by excerpt; MISSION SUPPORT ORDER 10-32 (TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS TO MEXICO) , UNCLASSIFIED

1.D.3. DUE TO THE ONGOING VIOLENCE ALONG THE U.S.- MEXICO BORDER AND THE RECENT KILLING OF AMERICAN CITIZENS IN CIUDAD JUAREZ, ALL NON-OFFICIAL TRAVEL (LEAVE AND PASS) IS PROHIBITED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE (sparty; DOD personnel)
If you do go out to Big Bend again and don't mind a slow on a shadow let me know. Knowing a few months ahead of time would be nice for planning.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #18
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Shaken down for $9000 is unheard of....$5 or $10 is fairly common, with a basic knowledge of how to get out of trouble being the best defence against being fleeced. Being smart and low profile go a very long way. Almost everyone agrees it's safe to go, but that you run a degree of risk of being deprived of your $$ or possessions if you act like a gringo in Mexico.

For everyone who's initial reaction similar to eltejano....click this link....it's all from 2010 and later and gives the honest impressions of a fairly large number of bikers who have been down there, some very recently.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546927

Oh, hes been doing this forever. He is Mexican-American. He was caught off guard. Its changed a lot in the last year. My cousin and her husband were stopped at a store and they got robbed by a guy and a chick. Took all their and still unloaded on them. They ran and luckily the guy was a bad shot. This happened 3 days ago.

Guess its the luck of the draw.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement