MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

What brands zip together?

I know several makers use the same zippers so their jackets and pant will sip together. Is there a chart online of which makers fit each other?

For example, I have a Fieldsheer 2pc suit but I would like to put a different jacket with the pants. Just wondering which brands can zip into those pants.

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zip ties and ft forks RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 06-16-2014 09:15 AM
gotta love zip ties Infinite Off Topic 8 06-04-2012 02:01 PM
Zip tracks for signs. ddgtomahawk Off Topic 0 03-22-2010 03:26 PM
WHICH EXHAUST BRANDS BEST FOR BIKE BRANDS Nightster Ridester General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 06-22-2007 09:25 AM
THE ZIP-TIE MODIFICATION? Nightster Ridester General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 03-28-2007 06:57 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioGuru View Post
Most jackets and/or pants have the other side of the zipper attached. Go to a tailor, have him remove whatever is on the pants, and have him stitch on the match.

Alternatively, have him just stitch matching zippers on everything. Cant cost THAT much.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
CaffeineRacer

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

I would love to know this too. So if anyone has mix and matched tops and bottoms post up your mash up!!!!!

I believe I saw a thread either here or somewhere else and a guy said he zipped an A*s jacket to Teknic pants, but I might have been hallucinating again.
CaffeineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Most jackets and/or pants have the other side of the zipper attached. Go to a tailor, have him remove whatever is on the pants, and have him stitch on the match.

Alternatively, have him just stitch matching zippers on everything. Cant cost THAT much.
False. I tried the tailor route and the cost of the modification isn't even close to being worth it. Just make sue the zippers match up when you buy the gear. For example, I was quoted $500, and the tailor told me straight up that even at that cost it wasn't worth it for him to take the job.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
CaffeineRacer

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
False. I tried the tailor route and the cost of the modification isn't even close to being worth it. Just make sue the zippers match up when you buy the gear. For example, I was quoted $500, and the tailor told me straight up that even at that cost it wasn't worth it for him to take the job.
Was this to get a complete 360 zipper stitched to the leather itself. I have a jacket that I want to stitch a little 8 inch zipper too and it has a cloth tab for doing so. Therefore I wouldn't imagine it would cost $500 just for that. What was it exactly you wanted done that was going to cost so much?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
Go to a different tailor man. To rip a seam stitch and pop on an 8 inch long piece of cloth with a zipper attached shouldn't run you more than $20 tops. That's why most manufacturers ship the garments with the other side of the zipper already attached. They know full well that you may buy a First Gear jacket but prefer the feel of Tourmaster pants for example.

Now a 360 zipper? Yeah - that's a little different.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineRacer View Post
Was this to get a complete 360 zipper stitched to the leather itself. I have a jacket that I want to stitch a little 8 inch zipper too and it has a cloth tab for doing so. Therefore I wouldn't imagine it would cost $500 just for that. What was it exactly you wanted done that was going to cost so much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Go to a different tailor man. To rip a seam stitch and pop on an 8 inch long piece of cloth with a zipper attached shouldn't run you more than $20 tops. That's why most manufacturers ship the garments with the other side of the zipper already attached. They know full well that you may buy a First Gear jacket but prefer the feel of Tourmaster pants for example.

Now a 360 zipper? Yeah - that's a little different.
I was attempting to get a 360 zipper match, which is required for most track days, and for that it would have been more cost effective just to buy a matching pair. For the record, say you get the little 8 inch zipper fixed for 20 bucks, then decide to do a track day. Then what...

Bottom line is that it just makes more sense to buy what matches up in the first place so you don't run into any problems.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
signpimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
I've run into similar issues with zipper fixes over the years. I will say this. Most normal tailors and seamstress don't have the right equipment for the job. This is what they told me in my hunt. To get that zipper on may require taking something else apart that their machine cannot put back together. I have a industrial sewing machine for sewing banners together that cost me about $1800 and it was already 10 years old. My machine can sew a new leather sole on a leather shoe, but cannot hem a pair of pants. The foot is too aggressive and just bunches it all up. So, I have a regular sewing machine to hem our delicate cloth flags and such. So, what I'm saying is that a regular seamstress might have to farm something like that out and it's not worth their trouble. I have my zippers repaired by a boat upholstery guy that I know....and it costs about $20. He even knows where to get those big zippers from. None of the tailors I talked to knew where to get the big zippers. They only know what they can get at JoAnn's Fabric and such. Good luck finding someone! Try some upholstery shops. Maybe Coleman's on FM 1960.
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #10
CaffeineRacer

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

But back to the million dollar question. What brands (or even particular models) of jacket and pants zip up together? Has anyone done this or is this virgin territory?

Advertisement