MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 AM   #21
Tri

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2009 R6
2005 R6 - Sold :*[

i have an old HJC helmet that I could give ya.

Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle gear jmeBADASS General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 06-30-2014 04:57 PM
designing new motorcycle jacket. questionaire projectmenso General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 01-30-2011 11:30 PM
Michelle Obama Masters Thesis, what do you think? urbanXJ Off Topic 11 02-13-2009 05:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #22
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Some suggestions:

1) Cell Phone pocket - not just waterproof, but BIGGER - like big enough to accommodate the larger smart phones. Irritates the out of me that none of my so-called "cell phone" pockets will fit anything but a small flip phone. Like others said - make it waterproof, but also put cord management in it for MP3 players. A lot of us use the phone for that.

2) Sleeve pockets - not just the dinky one on the left wrist, but perhaps on BOTH wrists and upper arm.

3) Have it not look like garish race gear. Seriously. Yeah, the is good for poser points but day to day? I dont want to look like a refugee from the pits. Hi-viz is fine for those who want it, but some of us want it to look like regular clothing.

4) Camelback pocket in the jacket

5) Chest armor. Seriously.

6) Either a gun pocket in the jackets or reinforced waistbands to handle a holster in the pants. Yes, a lot of us are armed when we ride.

7) Close-fitting wrists. Easier for the gauntlet style gloves.

8) Careful with the placement of velcro. A lot of the time that stuff seems to be designed to catch on the liners, gloves, and whatever else. There's gotta be a better way to do it.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #23
GrandeLatte
Technology Pimp

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
96 GL1500
03 F650CS

Member Garage

I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket that EMT cut up at the accident scene. I kept it as a souvenir, but you can have it. PM me, if you need it.
GrandeLatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #24
projectmenso

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 yamaha r6
91 kawasaki ninja 600D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Summer jacket in Houston is pointless because even if you are riding naked it's still 95deg and 85% humidity. It's like riding in a blow dryer... only humid.
I don't know if you want suggestions but here are a couple to consider...

One thing that has always bugged me is that mesh jackets, in many cases, only have a little snap strap on the forearm. In the likely violence of a crash it would be very easy for the elbow armor to roll around and expose the rider's elbow to nearly direct pavement contact.
I'd like to see back armor that is able to vent as well as the mesh and I think it's time jackets started getting chest armor as standard equipment. We armor our elbows, shoulders, knees, backs and feet but our chests (which cover all our organs) are left virtually unprotected.
hahaha you are right even without a jacket it is still 95 degrees outside, but thats one of the design aspect that i might dig into and look for a solution for. Thank you for the input i will put that in my data and see what is the common concern to design for.
projectmenso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #25
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

make this roadworthy and id buy it.

images?qtbnANd9GcQ0cx5VzH4DlNkvUuFYr3LwudIjI51lzw EEpGyIBDnwtq WYLQ
Old 01-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #26
projectmenso

Bike(s):
2005 yamaha r6
91 kawasaki ninja 600D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMarty View Post
OP
when you get your concept/design complete and are ready to produce a real jacket, contact Shannon, she can produce one and do it for a very affordable price.

http://panthercityleather.com/contact.html

thanks man i was looking for someone to help me with the prototype i was actually gonna go to jesse's boots hahahhhah
Old 01-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #27
projectmenso

Bike(s):
2005 yamaha r6
91 kawasaki ninja 600D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
If I can be of service, I would loved to help (when time permits) I'm not an self employed pro, but I tinker with vacuum forming quite a bit. (For hard external shell) parts (like knee pads/elbowpads) it would be VERY EASY to make pre production pieces, and then take that "finished concept" to a manufacturer. Then they have a real idea of what you want (and rider feedback with the pre production unit R&D thru the design phases/changes)

Sorry for the "run on". phone about to die.
yes of course i want to keep this as a collective motohouston design effort.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #28
projectmenso

Bike(s):
2005 yamaha r6
91 kawasaki ninja 600D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri View Post
i have an old HJC helmet that I could give ya.
thanks for the support man but i think helmets are design pretty well i want to focus more on the jacket and backpack and their flaws.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #29
projectmenso

Bike(s):
2005 yamaha r6
91 kawasaki ninja 600D

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Some suggestions:

1) Cell Phone pocket - not just waterproof, but BIGGER - like big enough to accommodate the larger smart phones. Irritates the out of me that none of my so-called "cell phone" pockets will fit anything but a small flip phone. Like others said - make it waterproof, but also put cord management in it for MP3 players. A lot of us use the phone for that.

2) Sleeve pockets - not just the dinky one on the left wrist, but perhaps on BOTH wrists and upper arm.

3) Have it not look like garish race gear. Seriously. Yeah, the is good for poser points but day to day? I dont want to look like a refugee from the pits. Hi-viz is fine for those who want it, but some of us want it to look like regular clothing.

4) Camelback pocket in the jacket

5) Chest armor. Seriously.

6) Either a gun pocket in the jackets or reinforced waistbands to handle a holster in the pants. Yes, a lot of us are armed when we ride.

7) Close-fitting wrists. Easier for the gauntlet style gloves.

8) Careful with the placement of velcro. A lot of the time that stuff seems to be designed to catch on the liners, gloves, and whatever else. There's gotta be a better way to do it.
hahahah all good points man i felt the same way with the majority of your suggestions i just need data to prove it to the professor haahahhaha
Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #30
projectmenso

Bike(s):
2005 yamaha r6
91 kawasaki ninja 600D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeLatte View Post
I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket that EMT cut up at the accident scene. I kept it as a souvenir, but you can have it. PM me, if you need it.
nice! this will be perfect to possibly design around how emt operates or how it can come off easier for them. thanks man
Old 01-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #31
projectmenso

Bike(s):
2005 yamaha r6
91 kawasaki ninja 600D

alright guys if you can hit me up at 832 573 1973 (hans), please text me your name, profile name, and item you are willing to donate. all of this is important for adding you guys to the contribution and design aspect of the project. thanks
Old 01-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #32
Spiderman
Outkasts C.C.

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 Katana 750 (sold)
94 FXR, 75 Sportster
98 Buell S1, 79 Shovel
95 Kawi KZ1000P (Madmax)
mini chopper

I have long arms and hafta wear a large just for the sleeve length but the jacket fits loose around my chest.
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #33
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Design the jacket so that the zipper doesnt catch the liner or the fabic that surrounds it. I hate when it does that.. haha

Some way to be more visible without garish reflecting fabric, perhaps like reflective piping that is effective and not "reflective"

I am not really all for a camelbak in the jacket. I carry a camelbak backpack for that reason. Your body heat and the sun in the summer would give you hot water in no time. Plus the condensation would give you a wetback (well, it would add more water, since we would likely be sweating our off already.)

Maybe find a way to make it effectively a all year jacket. Cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Instead of one simple windbreaker liner, find a way to add thinsulate and other 3m fabrics under it to allow us to not freeze while not making the jacket bulky

Maybe also a way that would lock down the cuffs of the arm better so that those who dont wear gauntlets wont have wind intrusion

Last edited by Perf_White_GT; 01-29-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Perf_White_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #34
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Also dont worry about making it "paramedic friendly". One way or another the EMT's will get that jacket off of you if they feel it is necessary. Plus I would rather have the EMTs cut me out of my gear than run the risk that a zipper failure in a get off would compromise my safety.

hmmmm, since in most jackets your CE armor for you elbows is the exact same molding for your knees. I would feel better if they would be different parts. I think that a jacket that has armor designed specifically for an elbow and not a combination of body parts would go a long way.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #35
projectmenso

Bike(s):
2005 yamaha r6
91 kawasaki ninja 600D

Sometime after monday ill post my goals, reasons, and sketches to see what you guys think is the best route.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #36
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
I have long arms and hafta wear a large just for the sleeve length but the jacket fits loose around my chest.

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement