MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Stang Man
being rude

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)
1983 Honda Nighthawk(sold)

Member Garage

My new Shoei RF-1100

Just got a new helmet a couple weeks ago, and finally had a chance to ride with it, what with the rain and freezing temps we've had!

I went with a flat black RF-1100 from Cyclegear, with a coupon it ended up at around $325...not too bad! It is replacing my 7 year old HJC and a Fulmer I got with the purchase of a bike a while ago.

Enough of the talk, this thing is AWESOME. From its light weight, to superior fit, to the actual fit and finish of the mechanisms and vents. This thing is killer.

The two biggest differences when compared to my other helmets, is the aerodynamics and quietness of it. Riding a naked bike, my head and neck would take a beating on the freeway. Tons of buffeting and that annoying "bob and weave" that it would do. It made driving a real chore, and I'd be beat up by the time I got anywhere.

Now, this helmet just cuts through the air. It is extremely stable, at all speeds. To top it all off, its quiet. The HJC would whistle like crazy, with the vents open or closed. The Shoei is quiet. You can hear the wind rushing around the helmet, but without the high pitch, headache-inducing whistle.

Sure, there are more expensive helmets out there, but now I see why so many people praise these "upper-level" helmets.

I'll be keeping my HJC and Fulmer as throwarounds and to let people borrow, but this Shoei is going to see a lot more use and dead bugs!
Stang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shoei RF-1100 Hadron2 $299 BD#270 WILD WEST MOTOPLEX 0 12-05-2013 04:48 PM
Shoei Rf-1100 or HJC Rpha10? MIGHTYDUCKY22 General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 12-13-2012 09:39 PM
Shoei Qwest vs. RF-1100 vs. X-Twelve King Of Dirk Safety Corner Main 16 07-27-2011 03:05 PM
Shoei RF-1100 Conrad Gear Talk 6 01-29-2011 10:57 AM
Shoei RF-1100 zerobounds Gear Talk 7 12-24-2009 11:49 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

I love my Shoei. It is 100x better than my old HJC, only about 3x better than my AGV. It mostly has to do with. The RFs fit my head perfectly. You will be happy. My only complaint is the leather covering on foam along the bottom cracked quickly.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Stang Man
being rude

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
I love my Shoei. It is 100x better than my old HJC, only about 3x better than my AGV. It mostly has to do with. The RFs fit my head perfectly. You will be happy. My only complaint is the leather covering on foam along the bottom cracked quickly.
I'll have to keep that in mind, maybe keep it supple with some leather conditioner.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
I'll have to keep that in mind, maybe keep it supple with some leather conditioner.
Mine sat in my nephew's garage for about 2 months. He bought it on clearance, and it didnt fit. I dont know if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

I almost bought an 1100 too, but the tx flag on my lid is priceless...lol.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
I almost bought an 1100 too, but the tx flag on my lid is priceless...lol.
Quit bragging.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

I'm sure Patrick still has some for sale

Too bad shoei didn't have the tx paint job, it'd be the perfect lid!!!!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
Stang Man
being rude

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)

Member Garage

Wanted to give a little update, since I've gotten to do some more riding in it.

Before, it was so cold, I had to leave all the vents closed to try and stay warm. The other day I got to crack them open for some airflow, and do these things work. With each vent opening, you can feel the airflow increase. I have a buzzcut so that may help, but having it rushing past your skull it almost feels like you don't even have a helmet on.

A word on the vent covers- some of the reviews I have read stated that the vent covers are hard to operate with gloves on. They're not hard at all, you just have to know what "angle" you need to slide them, and they are extremely easy to use.

Also, I had an issue with a high pitched "whistle" coming from the visor. It didn't happen at first, but after a few uses it started. Turns out, the base plates weren't tight from the factory, so using the visor moved it away from the seal, creating the leak. It was easy enough to fix, with a phillips head screwdriver. I used a sheet of paper to check clearance between the rubber seal and the visor.

Overall I'm very impressed with the Shoei RF-1100, its a slick looking helmet and fits my head shape perfect. I can't wait to give it a go during these hot Texas summers.

Advertisement