MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #21
Badchev
Slow

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

I guess my thinking was more along the lines of being comfortable with what your riding in the 1st place. Most people have their hands full with all of the information they are getting the first few td's that learning a new bike just adds to the overload.
In my case I had been riding quite awhile and had never been on a 600, and when I finally did ride one (on the street) I was dissapointed to say the least. After a couple of months I gave up and stayed with the litre bikes......and I admit I'm not the fastest guy in town, but MY goal was to be a better rider and that I accomplished.
And for what it's worth, being passed by an SV, any 600, or a Motard in a corner is just something you get used too.......just like THEY get used to being passed on the straights.
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Liter bike tires AYEELE General Discussion (Moto Related) 45 05-12-2013 09:49 AM
Stepping up to the bike boys bike(1/4 liter) albertinhouston General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 03-06-2013 08:13 PM
Which Liter Bike ???? Gomomichael General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 02-17-2012 05:06 PM
Friend wanting a liter bike for first street bike *long convo inside* AWD General Discussion (Moto Related) 108 08-08-2006 12:08 PM
BEGINNER LITER BIKE FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 12-14-2005 02:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #22
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Well guys, the time is getting close.....very very close. So I decided to come back into this thread and re-read all the responses. Even though I'm leaning towards a litre bike, I'm not dead set on one. What I am dead set on is a track ready bike. By the end of the month I should be in the market for one (funds in hand). And it's the funds that will really decide upon what I end up getting. Next time I'm at the track will be MSRH Oct 30th. Hoping to have a dedicated track bike for that run. If not, I'll just tape up the R1 for a day of fun in the sun.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #23
unswift

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

I would just throw in that another argument in favor of a middle weight is versatility. Here in Houston, we have 3 tracks within 90 minutes. A 600 is fast enough to have fun at TWS (Texas World Speedway), the "fastest" track, is good for MSRH, and is still small enough to be fun at GSS, the tightest, where a liter bike is a kind of out of place. The fourth closest track, Harris Hill south of Austin is another tight track where the liter bikes can't really stretch their legs. A 600 is a fine choice for 4 tracks within 3 hours, which gives you lots of choices during a season.
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #24
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

I too subscribe to the thought of being a fast guy on a slow bike being better than a slow guy on a fast bike. I like motards, little VFR400R's. 2V, air cooled Ducati's etc. I enjoy riding a slower bike as hard as I can and trying to use it's full potential. It is very satisfying to me as a rider.

That being said, I currently have a 2006 ZX10R that I have set up for track use (and street plastics safely tucked away). Although I had a Bimota YB8 liter bike, this is my first true "modern" liter bike. I honestly have bever seen the point of owning a large dispalcement inline four. They also kinda scared me as I thought that if I had that power, I'd be sure and get hurt (laugh if you want, just being honest).

With the ZX10R, it has taken me a while to get comfortable on it and I am NOWHERE close to using this bikes full potential. But I do enjoy it now very much. Power happens NOW. Maintenance is simple as it is stock save for exhaust and suspenion upgrades.

When it comes down to it, I agree that you need to ride what you want. I NEVER thought I would own a liter track bike, but the reality is that I will probably own this one for quite a while since the suspension and everything is all set up.

I even rode it at GSS and had a blast on it. I do not see these as too heavy to enjoy as some people post. Maybe it's because I still remember what a heavy bike from the early 90's really feels like. One main point though is that with me, I am not trying to be the fastest guy out there. 600's with good riders can easily get by me.

If you think you want a liter bike, grab it.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #25
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

In all honesty, what I would really like to get my hands on is another 2005 R1 if I can find one at the right price. As far as the weight difference from a liter bike to a 600, when it comes to the 2005 R6, dry weight is 357 pounds and the R1 is 379 pounds. So the weight difference is negligible IMHO. I don't care if I'm the slowest guy out on the track or the fastest. I could care less if someone on a 250 is passing me up on my R1. The most important thing to me is just to have FUN.

I have one shot at getting myself a track bike. I know my comfort zone on the R1 out on the streets. I've also have taken my R1 to the track and really REALLY liked it. Last thing I want to do is get a bike, take it out to the track and the next day having regrets, telling myself ", I wish I had gotten _______ instead. I'll have the funds for ONE track bike, not two. And I don't want to find myself in the position of getting something that I regret, only finding myself trying to sell it to get something that I'm happy with.

Bottom line, I see a lot more track days in the very near future for myself.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #26
Gabe

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
z50, ZX6R, Bianchi

I too prefer 600s over liter bikes. But I have this R1 for sale. Its not an 05 but should be similar. http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=196060
-thanks Gabe
LSTD / South Central Race Center / Pirelli / Racepak Supersprox / Raceworx / One Second Faster / Leo Vince / Motorcycles Unlimited / Ebc brakes/ Motul / Pipercross / Jones Powersports / Kawasaki Team Green / LP/ GoPro / Texas Speed and Performance / GP tech / Powerstands
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #27
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I too prefer 600s over liter bikes. But I have this R1 for sale. Its not an 05 but should be similar. http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=196060
-thanks Gabe
Yeah, I've seen that posting. It's more than what I'm wanting to spend right now, but that one has definitely been put onto my list as a possibility. Who knows, you may be hearing from me in the near future.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #28
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Personally, I would get a a well sorted 650 for around 2500-3000, ride the out of it, and then go to a 600 or 1k. You'll get your money back from the 650 and get the basics down and out of the way. Btw I've passed badchev on my 650 in the turns and he never passed me again in the straights no matter what he says ....
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #29
Blackjack
7Fiddy Ryda

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 750

I just started track only this year. I got a 07 750 setup as a racebike. It can go fast, but not lightspeed like a liter. I know 2 guys that started their serious track/racing on 750s. It took them some time before mastering it at the CMRA Expert level (regular 5th place and better) before moving to a liter. They both said the liter is a beast for acceleration and is more point then shoot in the corners. They are very careful on the throttle as well. Literbike + inexperience + riding hard = crashing. You can go fast on the straights and park it in the corners while getting passed by guys on 600s or get a 600/750 until you master it before moving up. Just my .02.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #30
Nappy

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
06 CBR1000 RR blue&yellow

I track a 1k it's allll about respecting that right hand.. I do believe a 600 or 750 would help me to become faster I'm the corners so I've got my eye out for a 750
Nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #31
Badchev
Slow

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Personally, I would get a a well sorted 650 for around 2500-3000, ride the out of it, and then go to a 600 or 1k. You'll get your money back from the 650 and get the basics down and out of the way. Btw I've passed badchev on my 650 in the turns and he never passed me again in the straights no matter what he says ....
There were so many passing you on the straight you couldn't keep track!! But, I admit I've been passed by more than a few 600's........as soon as they make a 600 that passes me on the straight I'll buy one.
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #32
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Im trying to get around the track in the least amount of time. For me, that magic happens on a gsxr1000. Arguably the most stable platform. The 06-07 gsxr750 is a nice middle option.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #33
imma_stocker
cager

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Motorcycles Unlimited has a couple used track bikes in their showroom. Try giving them a call to see what they recommend for YOU. Might as well call a few other shops around town too. They might have something that grabs your interest and sits well under you.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #34
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Im trying to get around the track in the least amount of time. For me, that magic happens on a gsxr1000. Arguably the most stable platform. The 06-07 gsxr750 is a nice middle option.
There's one in the bikes for sale thread here. I'm third in line for it. Wish I had seen it before anyone else so I could be first in line
Old 09-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #35
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
trackbike!=racebike
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #36
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
There's one in the bikes for sale thread here. I'm third in line for it. Wish I had seen it before anyone else so I could be first in line
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement