MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

I'm going somewhere this summer. Still deciding.

I was thinking of going to Alaska with fz6-forum.com, but it's 8678 miles "ROUND TRIP!" for 21 days I would have to average 413 miles just to accomplish that. Not enough time and too much stress for a trip like that. That's the "SHORTEST" distance as well. So it would easily be closer to 10,000 miles.

I'm thinking now of going up towards Calgary, Canada. About half the distance and a lot less stress. Vacation is for relaxing and enjoying yourself.

This trip is in the very beginning stages of planning and is subject to change at this point. I'm thinking of 2 or 3 weeks vacation for this one and maybe going in the first part of june.

So, I just want to throw this out there to see if anyone is interested. I'm open to ideas also, so don't be shy about sharing some.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deciding on a bike Roei Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 6 06-05-2012 10:13 PM
Need Help Deciding On First Bike... that boy asad General Discussion (Moto Related) 44 06-21-2009 02:08 PM
Need Help Deciding on gear... amber|alexis Gear Talk 28 08-05-2007 04:50 PM
Help deciding... A303 General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 09-22-2006 06:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Change to end of July and I am interested... was looking at heading up to NM/CO/WY/MT/SD anyhow..

But 1st week of June I'll be in Deals Gap...
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
Guitar Man

Bike(s):
73 Triumph Tiger 750

I went to AZ, NM, CO, UT towards the end of july last summer and that was the rainy season, at least in the mountains of Colorado. I am flexible on the dates. Those are the states that I will be going through most likely. July could work. I'll keep it in mind.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Anytime from July 21 to Aug 9 or so I am off. Then Sept 15 to Oct 3-4..
Old 01-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Guitar Man

Bike(s):
73 Triumph Tiger 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Anytime from July 21 to Aug 9 or so I am off. Then Sept 15 to Oct 3-4..
Cool. I'll mark those as potential dates on the calender. I don't know about sept and oct. Starts getting a little chilly in those months.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Go to Vancouver. Absolutely gorgeous and there are so many women. I swear I only saw about 10 girls downtown the whole week I was working there that were over 35. It's on the coast and the roads winding up the mountains there are pretty wicked. It's weird because when you are in Washington it will be all sportbikes but as soon as you cross the border the weapon of choice is nakeds and supermotos. Babes, bikes, beaches, mountain roads, and great scenery what more do you need?
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Man View Post
Starts getting a little chilly in those months.
True dat... I was playing around a little... something along these lines

stole a little of Navajibs route

http://tinyurl.com/4fz9b43
Old 01-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

I'm interested in something... been itchy for a while now to do a big trip, like your states you got listed Lurch. We need to talk ...

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
Guitar Man

Bike(s):
73 Triumph Tiger 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Go to Vancouver. Absolutely gorgeous and there are so many women. I swear I only saw about 10 girls downtown the whole week I was working there that were over 35. It's on the coast and the roads winding up the mountains there are pretty wicked. It's weird because when you are in Washington it will be all sportbikes but as soon as you cross the border the weapon of choice is nakeds and supermotos. Babes, bikes, beaches, mountain roads, and great scenery what more do you need?
I've actually been to Vancouver. I was in the Navy in Washington state and I went up there for a day in the winter, so I didn't get to see what you saw. It's a little out of the way if I'm going to Calgary, but may be worth checking out.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
Guitar Man

Bike(s):
73 Triumph Tiger 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_bacon View Post
I'm interested in something... been itchy for a while now to do a big trip, like your states you got listed Lurch. We need to talk ...
Plenty of time to plan. It's probably time to stretch that Interceptor's legs a little.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
Aj01R6
Aj

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2001 Yamaha R6

I'm down to go somewhere. Are you driving/riding/flying?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #12
Guitar Man

Bike(s):
73 Triumph Tiger 750

Riding the whole trip.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #13
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Just need to plan our gas stops carefully... my pig don't get the mileage that a FZ6 or VFR does... LOL!
Old 01-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #14
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Lets all make a list of where we want to go and plan from there. I've been to Carlsbad a few times so that was just an option. I also prefer back roads to super slab, but that adds time to the journey.

I have family in Albuquerque and Colorado Springs, so that adds a little safety blanket if needed.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #15
Guitar Man

Bike(s):
73 Triumph Tiger 750

I've been to Carlsbad as well. Wouldn't mind going back though. We can keep this as an option.

I have a nephew that lives in Colorado Springs as well. Don't know if he will be back from Afganistan though. I also have family that lives in the 4 corners area (Redmesa, CO & Farmington, NM) , so we can have a little bigger safety blanket as far as that goes.

I would really like to go to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone national parks in Wyoming. I don't know how you feel about going all the way to Calgary. I would like to see Banff and Glacier national parks also. Calgary looks like it's about 140mi over the Canadian border. I know you mentioned South Dakota. That would take us out of the way of that. I'm still flexible though. It would be nice to officially ride into another country. When you say you went up to Canada it makes people think you did more of an epic adventure.

I prefer back roads also. I think we could do a little super slab if we need to make up time.

I have no problems with frequent gas stops. Get to stretch the legs a little more.

I wouldn't mind swinging over to Vancouver and Seattle if we ended up going to Calgary. Or we could back track to South Dakota instead. Like I said, I'm flexible and we can all get an idea of the places where we would like to go. I wouldn't mind seeing the Black Hills and Custer's last stand.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #16
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

If I still have have a bike by then I may be down for this.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #17
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Here is a totally whack idea for a road trip...and one that you'll never forget....Mexico. Despite what the media wants us to think, there are literally hundreds of US bikers in Mexico each month with not a single incident of violence against a US citizen on a bike.

I am planning to go for 14 days with Bob and a small group in the fall. If you think it's too scary due to violence, think again...read the links below. You'll get 20 times the curves going south than north, and your dollar stretches way way way out. 120 miles from the border you'll be carving mountain canyons on glass smooth asphalt well south of the troubles on the border. Look at the videos by Monterrey Speed on youtube to see what is within 3 hours of the US border.

We're going to maybe Oaxaca, Palenque, San Cristobal, all way south, by the pacific ocean, then scuba diving some caves in the Yucatan closer to Cancun. I envision it will be kind of like merging the first two trips Bob writes about into one. Caution...... if you really read these, plan to spend a couple of hours or days...great way to kill time at work.

Oaxaca by Bob
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641360

Diving, Caves, Ruins, San Cristobal by Bob
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437533

Another misc trip to Mexico told by Bob
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287754

And a couple of younger guys on permanent leave just tooling around on bikes for months on end heading to the southern tip of Argentina and stopping all over the place along the way.

This guy is in Palenque right now, at the ruins and swimming in rainforest rivers

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608750

one guy has been on the road for months and hasn't even made to Guatamala...too much fun along the way....more stories here.

Terminally lost:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501881

Long ride
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582583

Riding a 250 to Panama and back
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566414

And just wow, what a trip so far
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494866

And, of course, Is Mexico safe for bikers???
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546927
Old 01-15-2011, 01:49 AM   #18
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Man View Post
I've been to Carlsbad as well. Wouldn't mind going back though. We can keep this as an option.

I have a nephew that lives in Colorado Springs as well. Don't know if he will be back from Afganistan though. I also have family that lives in the 4 corners area (Redmesa, CO & Farmington, NM) , so we can have a little bigger safety blanket as far as that goes.

I would really like to go to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone national parks in Wyoming. I don't know how you feel about going all the way to Calgary. I would like to see Banff and Glacier national parks also. Calgary looks like it's about 140mi over the Canadian border. I know you mentioned South Dakota. That would take us out of the way of that. I'm still flexible though. It would be nice to officially ride into another country. When you say you went up to Canada it makes people think you did more of an epic adventure.

I prefer back roads also. I think we could do a little super slab if we need to make up time.

I have no problems with frequent gas stops. Get to stretch the legs a little more.

I wouldn't mind swinging over to Vancouver and Seattle if we ended up going to Calgary. Or we could back track to South Dakota instead. Like I said, I'm flexible and we can all get an idea of the places where we would like to go. I wouldn't mind seeing the Black Hills and Custer's last stand.
OK, so

Carlsbad
4-corners
Yellowstone
Dakotas, black hills, Custer, Mt. Rushmore

How long you planning to be gone? I need to verify dates. I am home for 25 days at a time, but need a little time on either end to prepare for work.

400-500+ mile days are doable, just depends on roads and such.

I don't like planning road trips that end to close to my leave date; just in case of breakdowns or unforeseen problems.

So it really boils down to when you want to go?
Old 01-15-2011, 02:47 AM   #19
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Looks like Custer and Mt. Rushmore are within spitting distance. Might as well swing thru Sturgis while in the area...

I'll be happy to roll up thru that general area.. no big draw to go to Canada just "because"

The Alaska highway is on my list, but don't think I'll try to ride it from Houston.. not on this bike anyhow. Maybe a new BMW K1600GT...

So I am open for either July 22 thru Aug 9, or Sep 16 thru Oct 4

Last edited by texlurch; 01-15-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:22 AM   #20
Navajib

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

I'll have to see if the dates work with school. Nothing like moto'exploring!

Texlurch, hey! That's my route. Canyonchasers.net has reviews of some of those roads.

Mr. P, I'll go to Mexico when you come back to tell the tales unharmed. Plus, it's not taken lightly when you look hispanic and don't speak spanish.

Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement