MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
SirGixxer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Hard Stoping ? Wet Condition Riding??

Okay I haven't had to brake hard yet but I know it's coming..... If ever put in a situation on a bike where you would slam on your brakes in the car, what do you do?? I dont want to eat concreate...

Do you press the shiyt out of the front and rear brake at the same time??? In the MSF they said equal pressure on front and back to stop but what if you need to slam on your brakes???? We practiced at 20MPH, but what about when your going 60? 80? 100+MPH????

And also haven't been caught in rain yet but can you still ride and corner at normal speeds (not racing speed and not sharp cornering), just normal riding as if you were on a dry surface????

HELP!!!!!
SirGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cbr250r riding in wet conditions SupaHawk General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 03-11-2013 12:20 AM
Wet riding related maintenance bradtx How To's and Q & A's 2 07-19-2012 02:34 AM
Hard to start after riding Chris_5.0 How To's and Q & A's 40 02-10-2012 10:18 PM
Driving in wet condition Ares General Discussion (Moto Related) 44 06-09-2010 02:42 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
06 ZX6r (the last of the 636)
----------------------
Previously owned (most recently at least):
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

Do a track day and you will learn 1000x what we can teach you here.
Lokati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
spartandude
Custom User Title

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Welcome to MH. Please make a post in the intro thread for a proper welcome.

Wet weather will decrease your ability to apply force to the pavement. Slippery. You know that though. It is generally a bad idea to "slam" on your brakes on the bike. Instead of thinking of braking as a first emergency response, plan on having a safe escape route. Always have an "out". It is far easier to dodge on a bike and you can fit in much smaller spaces. If you rely on braking you may well find that the deceleration you need is not available on the bike.

Ride more slowly. Plan ahead. Stop daydreaming, texting, talking on the cell phone and do practice.

A track day may well help you learn how to fully use your bike's capabilities and if you volunteer to corner work you can often parley that into a free trackday. I have never done a trackday and have survived +80K miles of Houston traffic. My only problems were using too much brake in a corner and in rain to avoid a collision. Both times the cage left the scene and one time I contacted the cage.

Good luck, ride safe and enjoy this den of petulance.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Bean
you like apples?

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K3 GSXR 600

Go to an empty parking lot and practice emergency braking with using ONLY your front brakes. Pick a spot that has plenty of run-off room ahead of you and slowly work your way up the speedo to get a feel for what is going to happen and how your front brakes respond. You can stop a lot quicker than you think, but you must practice so as not to panic in a real life situation. Track days would be great in the future, but you need to understand how your brakes respond before hitting the track IMHO.

I've heard different numbers, but 70/30 or 80/20 seems to be about the "norm" as far as front/rear brake pressure. I use the front brakes mainly and rarely ever hit the rear. Now in an emergency situation, the rear does get used, but don't stomp on it. That will lock up the rear tire and send the @$$ end sliding around on you - speaking from experience.

As far as the wet road conditions go, you can still get your lean on. I would not advise you to try the same speeds as dry conditions, but you can carry speed through a corner depending on your tires condition. You are more likely to spin the rear up upon taking off from a stop, so ease the clutch out when taking off.

Never ride above your head and or limits! You are your best safety device.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Practice it over and over and over again. Go to an empty parking lot start at about 20 pick a spot and see how far it takes you to stop so you can see if your improving. Take some cones set them up and see if you can start braking at the first and stop by the second one. This is what you are doing in a emergency braking situation. You start braking and have a spot that you have to stop at usually a car or tree haha. The key with hard braking is to be progressive. By progressive I mean the time it takes you to go from 50-80% braking is faster than the time it took you to go from 0-50%. This ensures your front tire squishes down increasing your contact patch before you really hammer down on the brakes. When you grab a handful on your initial braking that is when the front slips out. If you grab the brakes slower at the beginning allowing the contact patch to increase then you can hammer the brakes to the point where you just flip over. Don't do that, but you know what I mean. Practice and be progressive.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGixxer View Post
We practiced at 20MPH, but what about when your going 60? 80? 100+MPH????

why the would you ride the streets at a 100+ mph in the wet? thats just asking for some bad to -up your day!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
SirGixxer

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

The question had nothing to do with going 100+MPH while wet; that comment was posted in the paragraph questioning hard braking.

Riding in the wet was a totally seperate question. And also note how I stated NORMAL RIDING with this question.

Peace!
SirGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
yeraboof
( . v . )

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'06 GSX-R 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokati View Post
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartandude View Post
It is generally a bad idea to "slam" on your brakes on the bike. Instead of thinking of braking as a first emergency response, plan on having a safe escape route. Always have an "out". It is far easier to dodge on a bike and you can fit in much smaller spaces. If you rely on braking you may well find that the deceleration you need is not available on the bike.
And this

----------

Most of these replies are very good advice. Engine braking is also very effective for slowing down quickly when used simultaneously with normal braking.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
plummer
dude

Bike(s):
k8 600
k13 600

usually a car behind you to and they cant stop as fast as u can. Something to he conscious about.
plummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

OP Where did you learn braking was 50% ft and 50% rear? Certainly wasn't at MSF.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummer View Post
usually a car behind you to and they cant stop as fast as u can. Something to he conscious about.
In the wet I'll disagree, cars stop faster ,ESP w ABS
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
practice, practice, practice...

Or buy a bike with some killer abs and let the computer do all the thinking for you.
I hear the new hondas have a good system available on their sportbikes.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
Vividkid

The rear brake becomes pretty useless in a hard/emergency stop...The rear wheel will just lock and slide and usually will come around on one side or the other. You have to practice 'Working' the rear lever so you don't lock it up too much. Most of the stopping will be done by the front. (IE two massive rotors with multi-piston calipers give a little clue) Like others said, you have to go out and practice.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #14
7cain
Resident Ginja

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'02 ZX6R

Member Garage

Ah but if the front brake locks up then you are screwed, especially in a turn. Am I experiencing deja vu? It seems like we just had this convo. Find a field of grass and go out and practice without having to wait for rain. Get a good feel for front/rear brake relationship. If either of them go you could have a mishap on the street so work on getting the balance down without doing the same damage you would on the street or in a parking lot, grass is much more forgiving on both you and the bike but still gives you the slip you would experience in the rain or if you hit an oil patch.
FELIS DEMULCTA MITIS (translation: A stroked cat is gentle)
7cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

just be ready to get off the break and roll the throttle through the intersection when you hit a wet patch of oil

happens all the time to me downtown
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #16
Squid Killer

Bike(s):
FZ1, Ducati Monster, R6, Gold Wing, Seca 2, TTR230, EX 250 and Metropolitan

As mentioned above, the MSF didnt say to use the same pressure front and rear. An important step in braking is getting the front tire to bite during the initial compression of the front fork. As it pushes the tire down into the road and offers more grip you have the ability to brake harder and so on. This all happens quick and requires practice with your own bike.

When you practiced at low speed in the MSF you are supposed to begin to develop the correct habbit of quick stopping that applies to all speeds. Its now up to you to practice so you will be best prepared for the times your life depends on doing a great stop. Dont wait until you HAVE to stop on the street to practice for the first time. Thats what the amature riders do and thats why they get hurt so often.
Squid Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #17
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
practice, practice, practice...

Or buy a bike with some killer abs and let the computer do all the thinking for you.
I hear the new hondas have a good system available on their sportbikes.
The CBR ABS system kicks . Hit the brakes as hard as you can and all the bike does is stop. There is no pulsation in the lever or pedal at all.
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #18
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
The rear brake becomes pretty useless in a hard/emergency stop...The rear wheel will just lock and slide and usually will come around on one side or the other.
The rear does not become useless, what your describing is mis-application of the rear brake.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #19
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7cain View Post
Ah but if the front brake locks up then you are screwed, especially in a turn. Am I experiencing deja vu? It seems like we just had this convo. Find a field of grass and go out and practice without having to wait for rain. Get a good feel for front/rear brake relationship. If either of them go you could have a mishap on the street so work on getting the balance down without doing the same damage you would on the street or in a parking lot, grass is much more forgiving on both you and the bike but still gives you the slip you would experience in the rain or if you hit an oil patch.

I strongly disagree with this specifically pertaining to sportbikes.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #20
omer
SMR

Bike(s):
whatever is at the shop at the time ;)
2010 r1
2009 CBR1000RR
2006 GSXR600
2008 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokati View Post

Advertisement