MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006, 11:21 PM   #21
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
you got a 650 yamaha. well those are good bikes... put some accessories on there when your comfortable.. i work for yamaha gulf coast and just live down the road from in clear lake.. Just have fun and leanr at your own pace. it will come with time... And just to give you a heads up hope you bought the VIP plan with the bike. if not plan on spending around 285.00 buckes per service. just a warnin. Ride safe
S_M_J82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New bike new rider = dumb questions...help Adamrides General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 04-14-2015 12:42 PM
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 08:04 AM
New rider questions. itsmebanky General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 01-02-2013 08:13 AM
RIP: Red Bull Rookie Cup Rider Toriano Wilson alrova Taking it to the Track 12 08-20-2008 09:27 AM
Possible new rider with some questions/thoughts SiG239 New Riders and MSF Course Info 8 03-12-2008 06:14 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2006, 04:53 PM   #22
houstondvr

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
V Star 650 Classic

Send a message via AIM to houstondvr Send a message via Yahoo to houstondvr
Yep, I bought the VIP plan. I need to get it in there for the 600 mile service.
houstondvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:58 PM   #23
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Hiya and welcome!
Old 08-30-2006, 08:52 AM   #24
h20chunker
water chunker

Bike(s):
road star 1600

Cool

good choice in bikes, have one for the wife its almost bullet proof, except when she wrecks. you dont need a fairing on that bike, just a good wind shield. for practice ideas a good choice is "Ride Like A Pro" series by mike palladino. i think thats his name. got one of his vids, its good. i practice on all three of the bikes in the garage and ive been riding 30 years. find a big parking lot and just ride around and make circles and figure 8's making them tighter and tighter. seems silly but it works, and pretty impressive to drag your floorboards at night, it makes pretty sparks. for cleaning the bike ive used s100, spray on rinse off, and to get bugs off your helmet try pledge. you can use it on your faceshield too, helps a lot with the fog and bugs..................................wayne
h20chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:40 PM   #25
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Well ,, Welcome! congrats on your soon to be arrival. I got 3 kids too.
Its a midlife crisis? A bike can help ease some of the pain. haha
With more seat time you will get used to the dynamics of riding. Just dont relax too much or get overconfident. Its funny how you mentioned turning to check blind spots. I was nervous when I did it on the freeway. You will get the hang of it. Like the post above advises, parking lot and practice circles and figure eights and practice emergency braking. Remember the stuff awesome cycles taught you and you should be good to go.
Have fun and be safe!

Joel
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:56 PM   #26
houstondvr

Bike(s):
V Star 650 Classic

Thanks for all the advice. I have been going to the parking lot and practicing turning (90 degree turns from a stop seem to give me some trouble), and the figure 8. I'm getting better, but still don't have those down as well as I would like. OK. It's time for a bonehead rookie confession. Don't ask me why I feel compelled to share but here it goes.

Always remember to never forget to bring your clear helmet shield when planning on riding home after dark. I left the Parent Orientation the other night and I had no clear visor, and only my sunglasses. Both were way too dark. I wound up having to ride with no eye protection. Not one but two bugs in my eye later, I was really wishing I wasn't such an idiot. The best thing I learned is that if you blink a lot the tears will wash the bugs out. Thank no rocks jumped up and got me. I can only figure that the little gremlin bell I got from my BRC kept them away. Any stupid rookie biker moves you could share might make me feel better. I promise I won't laugh.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:43 PM   #27
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
well, sounds like you will be ok dude. it all comes in time, just second nature.

>Stupid Question ..1: OK...the rider wave.

no one is going to come after you for not waving. nodding lets them know you see them, but you dont want to take your hand off the grip. we all understand. thankfully, someone who understand your plight has put together a few tips for you, just watch this helpful video...

http://media.putfile.com/bikewaves

>OK...stupid Question ..2: lane change.

i found that turning quickly helps. you just need a glance to check your clear. just know the wind is there and go with it / compensate for it. you really dont have to turn too much either, your not trying to do the hokey pokey on the bike, just a good enough glance to be sure you are clear.

>OK...more rookie rider questions:

>1. What are fairings?

its the plastic/fiberglass body panels on a bike, fenders, etc. they are for aerodynamics, style, and a little protection for the engine.

>2. What do you use to wash your motorcycle?

i plan on making regular appearances at bike washes for charities...lol.

>3. What is so special about billet? Looks like chrome to me.
very good question. im not totally sure either, but these are my guesses.

-cheaper than chrome? (though i bet retail prices are about the same by now)
-might not chip or flake like chrome plated stuff?
-sounds more "high tech" and less "traditional custom" i.e. harley guys seem to ask for chrome for their cruisers, sport guys seem to want billet for their Busa's...

to be honest it looks the same to me too. lol.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:43 AM   #28
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstondvr
Thanks for all the advice. Any stupid rookie biker moves you could share might make me feel better. I promise I won't laugh.
Here is one I made . I was going into a sharp left turn ( a sharp 90 degree turn) and a car was coming the other way. I didnt want to be in the turn at the same time as the car so i kept the speed up and braked late into the turn , as I leaned over into the turn I panicked and gave mor front brake while leaned over and the bike just fell like a rock!! A 30 mph lowside !(sliding on the bikes side) was the result.
I felt like such an idiot!! especially since I had to push my bike out from a six foot deep ditch!:BangHead: Scratched up leather jacket and bruised ankle (boots)and a little rash on my knee( jeans ) were my damages. My bike suffered scratched fairings and bar ends and engine cover. Its fixed now but the lesson remained. Dont let fear control the bike!
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
Old 08-31-2006, 09:49 AM   #29
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:00 AM   #30
therky42

Bike(s):
2006 VTX 1300C, YZ 250

Old 08-31-2006, 06:42 PM   #31
BikerBarbie
I only look plastic

Bike(s):
1996 Harley Davidson Sportster 883

Send a message via AIM to BikerBarbie Send a message via Yahoo to BikerBarbie
My favorite rookie rider thing I've done: the first time I left my own neighborhood I went down Hayes Rd. (you west side people will know right where I'm talking about)..got to the parking lot for 24 HR fitness. Well, I never noticed how many parking lots have a little upward incline..so, I start to turn into the parking lot, but another car was coming out of the parking lot at the same time. I freaked!! Not knowing if my right hand turn would be tight enough to NOT hit the car, I slowed way down going up the little hill. I was probably in 3rd or 4th grear. I started going up the little hill (really little!!) and my bike stopped right on the incline. I was still in 3rd or 4th...stuck on this little-teeny hill, holding up my bike. I couldn't down shift 'cuz I was actually holding up the bike. I didn't think to really gun it and see if I could get it to go from that gear....so, I just stood there until the bike just.....fell over.

Right away two guys got out and picked it up for me. I broke the clutch lever and had to ride it home (a "whole" mile :confused1 ) in first gear.

I felt Sooooooooooo stupid.

BikerBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:42 PM   #32
houstondvr

Bike(s):
V Star 650 Classic

That video on the rider wave cracked me up. Thanks for sharing your rookie moves. I am finding that some days I have really great control over my bike and feel like I am leaning into the turn just right and with just enough throttle, but other days things just feel awkward no matter what I do. Practice and Patience my motto. Thanks for telling your stories. It really helps knowing you aren't the only one having difficulty.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:54 AM   #33
BikerBarbie
I only look plastic

Bike(s):
1996 Harley Davidson Sportster 883

Send a message via AIM to BikerBarbie Send a message via Yahoo to BikerBarbie
YESTERDAY......

I got on my bike for the first time in over a month...well, duh--I should have had it on the trickle charger all this time. I pulled it out of the garage and tried to start it. Wouldn't start. So, I roll it back into the garage--which isn't easy. I have to get up enough momentum manually to get over this little hump. So, I get it in the garage and almost drop the bike! I blamed it on my foot not being 100% full strength. Then, I realized.....I ALMOST GOT OFF THE BIKE WITHOUT PUTTING THE KICKSTAND DOWN. Duuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhh.

extreme blonde moment

BikerBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:18 PM   #34
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):

Not a problem
Another thing, I had times where I just didnt feel right on a bike and had some near misses. Now I listen to my *subconscience* if you will and just dont ride.
You have to be fully focused on the bike and if I feel clumsy or awkward or just feel funny , I dont ride.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #35
stlal
Superman

Bike(s):
99 F4 Track/2004 Yami Warrior

Send a message via MSN to stlal
Just remember you are riding the bike...its not riding you...In other words make sure you are in control of the bike!!
stlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:46 PM   #36
TooBuku
Dumb Gook

Send a message via AIM to TooBuku
be smart
wear your gear
have fun.

Advertisement